FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A wonderful piece on Roger Ebert

Author Topic: A wonderful piece on Roger Ebert
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Esquire's Roger Ebert: The Essential Man

quote:
We have a habit of turning sentimental about celebrities who are struck down — Muhammad Ali, Christopher Reeve — transforming them into mystics; still, it's almost impossible to sit beside Roger Ebert, lifting blue Post-it notes from his silk fingertips, and not feel as though he's become something more than he was. He has those hands. And his wide and expressive eyes, despite everything, are almost always smiling.

There is no need to pity me, he writes on a scrap of paper one afternoon after someone parting looks at him a little sadly. Look how happy I am.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wow. I had no idea his situation had become so dire. But I knew he was a wonderful man.

[ February 17, 2010, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. That's amazing, and it led me to his blog (even more amazing).
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
His blog is amazing. He has been writing some really outstanding pieces over the last few years - not all just film commentary either. He seems to be handling this dreadful situation with so much dignity and grace along with, if possible, even more sublime writings than he produced for so long before.
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

From the article, referring to his blog:

quote:
Reading it from its beginning is like watching an Aztec pyramid being built. At first, it's just a vessel for him to apologize to his fans for not being downstate. The original entries are short updates about his life and health and a few of his heart's wishes. Postcards and pebbles. They're followed by a smattering of Welcomes to Cyberspace. But slowly the journal picks up steam, as Ebert's strength and confidence and audience grow. You are the readers I have dreamed of, he writes. He is emboldened. He begins to write about more than movies; in fact, it sometimes seems as though he'd rather write about anything other than movies. The existence of an afterlife, the beauty of a full bookshelf, his liberalism and atheism and alcoholism, the health-care debate, Darwin, memories of departed friends and fights won and lost — more than five hundred thousand words of inner monologue have poured out of him, five hundred thousand words that probably wouldn't exist had he kept his other voice.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Ebert's a great guy and I met him many times and debated against him a whole lots and he is classy and sharp and all of that. Seeing what state he's in now is just ... punishing. It's not something I can be inspired to celebrate. I don't care if it led to some writing. He deserves a voice. He always did good things with it.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Sam, have you read his blog? It is truly some of the best writing that I have read in years. His voice is louder than ever, just not audible any more.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that the quality of his work is good. I'm just saying that this turn of affairs is not something I can be inspired to celebrate. Even if he would want me to!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Ebert's Response to the Article
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for him.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Siskel and Ebert for years, and then Ebert and Roeper. I had no idea the path life had taken him down. Thank you for sharing the articles.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What Sala said.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for sharing this with us.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

[Big Grin] I am glad you all liked it.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
What Sala said.

Ditto.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ebert's awesome. I highly endorse reading his blog, he's one of the more thoughtful men around today.

On the subject of his impending death:

quote:
I know it is coming, and I do not fear it, because I believe there is nothing on the other side of death to fear. I hope to be spared as much pain as possible on the approach path. I was perfectly content before I was born, and I think of death as the same state. What I am grateful for is the gift of intelligence, and for life, love, wonder, and laughter. You can't say it wasn't interesting. My lifetime's memories are what I have brought home from the trip. I will require them for eternity no more than that little souvenir of the Eiffel Tower I brought home from Paris.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/05/go_gently_into_that_good_night.html

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

A follow up by Ebert on his new digital voice
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Another follow up with a video of him showing his new digital voice with his wife. Awesome.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. *sniffle*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
His impending death does explain some of his recent ratings.
Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
[Roll Eyes]

Come off it. I'm a cinephile, and I ardently follow what cinephiles are saying online. Over the past three years there has been some serious consternation with Ebert's ratings among movie fans. He seemingly became accepting of everything. And it's not controversial to say that his health issues were at the root of this sudden acceptance of everything.

(I've been reading Ebert since 1999 btw and watching the show ever since Roeper became part of it.)

Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's more like that he doesn't see/review as many movies as he used to, so he doesn't feel obligated to see and review bad movies.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.