FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » the Ok Cupid blog is awesome

Author Topic: the Ok Cupid blog is awesome
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
It's true.
Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree actually, lots of interesting stats
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting, I particularly like this:
quote:
Either something very sad happens to a woman at 40, or something incredibly awesome happens at 39. Hard to tell.
Hobbes [Smile]
Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

I just like the "do as I say, not as I do" stuff.
Edit to add: I already referenced the theoretical interracial dating versus actual practice.

Or this bit in the current article
quote:
As you can see, men tend to focus on the youngest women in their already skewed preference pool, and, what's more, they spend a significant amount of energy pursuing women even younger than their stated minimum. No matter what he's telling himself on his setting page, a 30 year-old man spends as much time messaging 18 and 19 year-olds as he does women his own age.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Men who want children obviously should focus on younger women, biologically speaking; fertility really does drop alot across the twenties. (Of course this may not be realistic sociologically speaking, in that relatively few 20-year-olds are really thinking of children; but our genes haven't caught up with that yet.) And I must say I dislike his moralising about the trend; why is it bad to want to have sex with someone young and pretty?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
And yet, I am plagued by teenagers.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always sensed a youthful zeal about you Kate. [Wink]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
And yet, I am plagued by teenagers.

You'll notice he doesn't say anything about absolute amounts. For all we know, the low-frequency red parts of his heat maps represent about 50 emails a day. [Smile] Besides, in a big site like OkCupid there's a lot of room for long tails; his results are for the median.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

For that particular trend, what I find amusing is not the moralizing but the fact it seems that men are either unaware of their real preferences or that they don't want to broadcast their real preferences (I'm not familiar with the site so I don't know if stated preferences are visible to normal users).
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Younger is generally preferable, all else being equal, yes.
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he was referring to being dominated and the like.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I can vouch for this data following pretty closely to the in-person dating company I worked for. All the men wanted younger women, and the older the men got, the younger (relatively) they wanted.

Also, as the group got older, a greater and greater number of women were interested in a smaller and smaller pool of men.

A few of the men figured this out, and were constantly getting dates. Most of the men kept insisting on trying to hook up with women 20 years younger, and couldn't figure out why they weren't getting all kinds of action.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Younger is generally preferable, all else being equal, yes.

All else being equal I definitely prefer older. It didn't help me get any dates, but things worked out ok for me anyhow.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
I can vouch for this data following pretty closely to the in-person dating company I worked for. All the men wanted younger women, and the older the men got, the younger (relatively) they wanted.

Also, as the group got older, a greater and greater number of women were interested in a smaller and smaller pool of men.

A few of the men figured this out, and were constantly getting dates.

Hmm. I don't really get a much better response from older women than younger, other than the older ones seem to want a relationship, and the younger ones tend to want to just date. There are exceptions to that rule. I definitely get plenty of dates. I have more than I can really handle sometimes.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
As a twenty-one year old male bachelor I wouldnt feel all that comfortable with having an emotionally involved relationship with a significantly older woman. About five years older and two younger for me, just to level the playing field of the relationship, I dont exactly have much to add to a conversation about mortgages but I dont want to hear about how your mom is totally invading your space all the time.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
As a twenty-one year old male bachelor I wouldnt feel all that comfortable with having an emotionally involved relationship with a significantly older woman. About five years older and two younger for me, just to level the playing field of the relationship, I dont exactly have much to add to a conversation about mortgages but I dont want to hear about how your mom is totally invading your space all the time.

Yeah, the age gap thing can be a problem. BUT...it is simply A problem. Age difference can be overcome, if there's enough compatibility in other areas, in my opinion.

That's not to say that those of us who have more difficulty in long-term relationships shouldn't be extremely circumspect about compatibility issues prior to making long-term commitments like living together or marriage.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
steven: In our case, we were local, and rather expensive, so we had a more limited number of clients than a big website. So for a 45 year old man, there might have been 2,000 women 45 or older who would be intrerested in a date with him, and only 100 women 35 or under who want to go on a date with him.

So for any given night and activity, he's almost sure to find a date if he looks in the older group, while it may be harder in the younger (smaller pool of possibles) group to find an available date on Thursday for the ballet.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.