FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 7 Reasons to Support Israel (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 7 Reasons to Support Israel
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to bow out of this thread for now.

I can't see this whole thing ending well, but I hope some of the questions can be discussed with civility and calm.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
Actually, alphabetic writing is ours
When you say alphabetic writing is yours, what exactly do you mean?
You know, I used to work at a bank in Boston. My branch manager was Greek, and she insisted that the Greeks invented the alphabet. I asked her what alpha means in Greek. Silence. I explained to her that all of the letters actually mean something in Hebrew. And only in Hebrew.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Seriously? Have you met me?

I think he's referring to Joyce Kaufman who apparently is a reborn Christian going to Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church.
Ah. Well, at least she isn't Jewish.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Actually, alphabetic writing is ours.

nope.
Yep.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually impressed the thread has stayed as civil as it has.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Shut up, idiot.

EDIT: To add "idiot".

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
Shut up, idiot.

EDIT: To add "idiot".

Hey man, I know where you live!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

[Big Grin]
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Actually, alphabetic writing is ours.

nope.
Yep.
Providing a link to yourself does not constitute supporting evidence.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My branch manager was Greek, and she insisted that the Greeks invented the alphabet. I asked her what alpha means in Greek. Silence. I explained to her that all of the letters actually mean something in Hebrew. And only in Hebrew.
I'm not sure what you mean. I don't know why this would make the alphabet "yours."

What do the characters in the Hebrew alphabet mean? Are you sure that there are no other languages where letters have meaning?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Sanskrit was the mother of all Indo-European written language.

Or is this like arguing Creationism with Lisa, completely unproductive and frustrating (and a little hilarious)?

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by steven:

+1

quote:

Or is this like arguing Creationism with Lisa, completely unproductive and frustrating (and a little hilarious)?

Total: 0

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I'm actually impressed the thread has stayed as civil as it has.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

+1

quote:

Total: 0

Creationism is a JOKE, and defenders of it cannot be taken seriously.

I'm definitely starting to get the feeling that this WILL be like arguing Creationism with Lisa.

I think I might enjoy it. LOL

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

If I remember correctly, Sanskrit is supposed to be one of the oldest indo-european languages, and in theory the closest to some theoretical ancestral language of that family. AFAIK, the actual writing systems aren't supposed to follow the same descent as the languages themselves.

Wikipedia has a decent length, well referenced page on the subject.

The earliest alphabets (as opposed to heiroglyphics and cuneiform) it lists are here. Both were found in modern Egypt, with one found near the Nile, while the other is on the Sinai Peninsula.

Of course, this is just wikipedia, so I'd be open to more authoritative links if anyone can provide them. Still, the articles at least appear to be well formed and decently referenced, so it seems reasonable for an intro overview.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

"The first alphabet emerged around 2000 BCE to represent the language of Semitic workers in Egypt (see Middle Bronze Age alphabets), and was derived from the alphabetic principles of the Egyptian hieroglyphs."

That's a direct quote from the Wiki.

This is great. Egyptians gave their alphabet to the Jews.

How's that taste, Lisa? LOL

The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
steven, I think BlackBlade's point was that you're first statement was a good contribution to the discussion, while your second was nothing but falling back on old arguments for no other reason than to prod for a reaction.

This thread is about Israel. You unnecessarily brought up Creationism. And now you are poking Lisa. I disagree with Lisa more often than not, and I may have done some prodding in the past, but it does not breed good discussion. See ricree's post. She(He?) has a similar point as yours, without any bile.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
See ricree's post. She(He?) has a similar point as yours, without any bile.

I rather doubted that Lisa would bother actually clicking on ricree's link. That's reason enough to quote the relevant part.

Also, she craps up this board more than anybody else, with the possible exception of King of Men.

I'm not really sure I agree with the principle that if we're all just nicer, the trolls will somehow untroll. I'm not saying getting ban-happy is the solution, because that has its own pitfalls.

I do think that zero bans in 6 years is a little too far toward the opposite end of the spectrum, given the level/number of trolls here.

Also, who are you to condescend to me? LOL

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The first alphabet emerged around 2000 BCE to represent the language of Semitic workers in Egypt (see Middle Bronze Age alphabets), and was derived from the alphabetic principles of the Egyptian hieroglyphs."

Whistled.

Also, you may want to look into the meaning of "Semitic workers".

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
quote:

Whistled.

Also, you may want to look into the meaning of "Semitic workers".

All I did was quote the Wiki. Whistle if you want. At least my post is potentially backed up by fact. What about Lisa's claim that Jews invented civilization? What's THAT backed up by? LOL
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
steven, overwhelming niceness won't eliminate trolls, but feeding them isn't a better solution (Lisa, I am not agreeing with steven that you're a troll).

And where did I condescend?

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

She can say anything...she can say just anything at all, and nobody blinks...

I BAN trolls on the boards that I moderate. I don't act like their behavior is appropriate.

My boards are better for it, too. The people I ban contribute nothing.

MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
All I did was quote the Wiki.
This wasn't quoting the wiki:
quote:
Seriously, man. I like to stick it to people that I find annoyingly wrong but a gradeschool taunt like that is just embarrassing to watch.
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Steven, stop being combative, and from here on please refrain from posting in this thread.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
quote:
All I did was quote the Wiki.
This wasn't quoting the wiki:
quote:
Seriously, man. I like to stick it to people that I find annoyingly wrong but a gradeschool taunt like that is just embarrassing to watch.

Yeah, and it was fun.
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Creationism is a JOKE, and defenders of it cannot be taken seriously.

I'm definitely starting to get the feeling that this WILL be like arguing Creationism with Lisa.

I think I might enjoy it. LOL

Steven, people are allowed to have religious beliefs. It doesn't seem ok to me for someone to just attack them and insult people for having their own beliefs. I don't believe in creationism but a post like this makes it seem like you are the one trolling and not the other way around.

Be careful with your choice of words man.
Not having substancial evidence is not the same as telling someone everything they think is a joke.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:

Tastes like Wikipedia. Imbecile.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
She(He?) has a similar point as yours, without any bile.

But bile is steven's specialty.
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Originally posted by Papa Janitor:
Steven, stop being combative, and from here on please refrain from posting in this thread.

Dude, just because the Cards are embarrassingly incompetent at moderating doesn't mean that YOU have to be. Take a stand. Take a poll of Hatrackers. Ask how many would like to see some temporary or permanent bans. OSC is supported by his FANS. No fans=no money=no Hatrack. WE pay for this board, in part, with our book purchases. I've probably spent 2-3 hundred dollars on his books over the years, and encouraged dozens of others to read and buy his work. I'm raising my KID on his books. I deserve a voice. This board should not be entirely autocratic. There should be some elements of democracy.
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob bowed out in a timely fashion. Almost uncanny.
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
She can say anything...she can say just anything at all, and nobody blinks...

I BAN trolls on the boards that I moderate. I don't act like their behavior is appropriate.

My boards are better for it, too. The people I ban contribute nothing.

Aw, is widdle stevie upset? He can't be a dictator on Hatrack because it isn't his, and his inability to be in control is making him all sulky? Poor, poor stevie. <sob!>
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by LargeTuna:
a post like this makes it seem like you are the one trolling and not the other way around.

"Makes it seem"? Honestly.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
I deserve a voice. This board should not be entirely autocratic. There should be some elements of democracy.

What are you, 19 years old? You sound like a troubled adolescent. Go make your own frakking forum and boss everyone around there. You come to a forum that's being provided by someone else, at their expense, you show some gratitude, you spoiled brat.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
steven, overwhelming niceness won't eliminate trolls, but feeding them isn't a better solution (Lisa, I am not agreeing with steven that you're a troll).

That's good, because it's clear that steven is trolling here. But to paraphrase Pix, it's like being made fun of by the retarded kid on the playground. I know I should be offended, but I can't stop laughing.
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LargeTuna:
a post like this makes it seem like you are the one trolling and not the other way around.

"Makes it seem"? Honestly.
Yeah I'm not the type of person that is going to accuse people of being trolls. I can't help it [Big Grin] I felt his post was innapropriate, but I'm not gonna call him a name.
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Lisa: If there is such a thing as a moral lowlands you're certainly not avoiding the path that leads there.

You know better, you don't have to act in anger.

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
I deserve a voice. This board should not be entirely autocratic. There should be some elements of democracy.

What are you, 19 years old? You sound like a troubled adolescent. Go make your own frakking forum and boss everyone around there. You come to a forum that's being provided by someone else, at their expense, you show some gratitude, you spoiled brat.
Wow. You are the most ridiculous poster on this forum (or any forum for that matter) I have seen in quite a while. Just because somebody intelligent disagrees with you doesn't give you the right to flame them. Even Clive doesn't stoop to this level. I don't understand how people can get angry at people over their computer. What does this say about your actual life.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
I don't understand how people can get angry at people over their computer.

Oh, the IRONY!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natural_mystic
Member # 11760

- posted      Profile for natural_mystic           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
I don't understand how people can get angry at people over their computer.

Oh, the IRONY!
[Big Grin]
Posts: 644 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
WE pay for this board, in part, with our book purchases. I've probably spent 2-3 hundred dollars on his books over the years, and encouraged dozens of others to read and buy his work. I'm raising my KID on his books. I deserve a voice. This board should not be entirely autocratic. There should be some elements of democracy.

Buying his books gives you ownership over those books. Not what OSC spends those earnings on.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Drama is entertaining.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sinflower
Member # 12228

- posted      Profile for sinflower           Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, Lisa isn't a troll. She's not just stirring up drama, she believes in what she posts.
Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
Drama is entertaining.

Oy. Please don't encourage it.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
There's so much ironic content in this thread that it's making my head spin.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
I'm going to bow out of this thread for now.

I can't see this whole thing ending well,

yo can I hire you to gamble for me? you have a more-obvious-events version of the shining.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is like watching a public toilet flush.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
quote:

Wow. You are the most ridiculous poster on this forum (or any forum for that matter) I have seen in quite a while. Just because somebody intelligent disagrees with you doesn't give you the right to flame them. Even Clive doesn't stoop to this level. I don't understand how people can get angry at people over their computer. What does this say about your actual life.
When someone intelligent disagrees with me, I don't flame them. But in this case, it was steven throwing a tantrum. That's very different.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
Drama is entertaining.

Sure, but not nearly as much as interesting, rational discussion.

It's like seeing a car wreck as you drive to Disneyworld. Sure, you're gonna turn your head to look, but if it gums up the highway to a standstill it's pretty far from a net win.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
My branch manager was Greek, and she insisted that the Greeks invented the alphabet. I asked her what alpha means in Greek. Silence. I explained to her that all of the letters actually mean something in Hebrew. And only in Hebrew.
I'm not sure what you mean. I don't know why this would make the alphabet "yours."

What do the characters in the Hebrew alphabet mean? Are you sure that there are no other languages where letters have meaning?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Janitor:

Dude, just because the Cards are embarrassingly incompetent at moderating doesn't mean that YOU have to be. Take a stand. Take a poll of Hatrackers. Ask how many would like to see some temporary or permanent bans. OSC is supported by his FANS. No fans=no money=no Hatrack. WE pay for this board, in part, with our book purchases. I've probably spent 2-3 hundred dollars on his books over the years, and encouraged dozens of others to read and buy his work. I'm raising my KID on his books. I deserve a voice. This board should not be entirely autocratic. There should be some elements of democracy.
Yea, steven, exactly. When I buy one of OSC's books, I'm not just exchanging money for a creative work of his that took a lot of time and effort on his part to make, I'm buying his life. The money he's living big off comes from (in very small part) me. I'm basically his boss, only I'm more than his boss, I'm like his owner. That means his sh*t is MINE. His website, his house, his wife and kids, all MINE. MIIIINE. NOW GET OUT OF MY WAY BECAUSE THIS THREAD ONLY HAS ENOUGH ROOM FOR ONE OVERGROWN SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT! GET OFF MY FORUM!
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.