FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The bigots win again. (Page 9)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: The bigots win again.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
This guy seems like an inked nerd.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon: What's wrong with hanging out in Mormonville? [Frown]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't read that as a criticism.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Woah this thread took a left turn. (Which was a pretty good thing.)
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
A guy gave me painted D&D miniatures as tokens of affection when he first asked me out. He took me to a sci-fi convention for our 2nd date.
Here's the key question, though: was your nerdery known by him when he courted you with his nerdery?
Yes and no. We met at a W40k game but I had never played it before and was sort of leery. I mentioned at the time that I liked D&D stuff so he knew I was a bit of a dork. Of course he gets extra credit - not only did he give me D&D minis after he found this out, he painted them up to look like drow elves. The boy was paying attention when I mentioned liking RA Salvatore.

The true extent of my nerdery didn't come out until I outgeeked him in a Doctor Who conversation about a month later.

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
What is it about an inked nerd that makes one preferable to a non-inked nerd?

They don't HAVE to be inked, I just have an odd thing about tattoos I don't understand. I fully expect to marry a biker or possibly a yakusa with a full body suit.
But then I think traditional yakusa tattoos are better than biker tattoos... but I would not say that around bikers.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
My father - no joke, this is the story he tells himself - married my mother on account of her collection of science-fiction books. Including Star Trek. So there.

Icarus (he still posts here, rarely) and his wife Cor went on a Trek cruise for their honeymoon, complete with costumes. I've seen the pictures. [Big Grin]

I read a ton of fantasy, and my wife and I have some overlap these days because of the supernatural fantasies that are out. Our first date was the see FOTR, and it was her idea. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. You're all dorks.

[Laugh]

[Wink]

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade, Matt's right--it wasn't a criticism. Although actually, what would really be wrong with hanging out in the real Mormonville, Nauvoo.com, would be that I'd be there against Card's express wishes.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
They don't HAVE to be inked, I just have an odd thing about tattoos I don't understand. I fully expect to marry a biker or possibly a yakusa with a full body suit.

So your dating criteria makes nice tats trump professional criminal.

As a former dating coach, I'd advise you to reconsider your priorities [Wink]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

That's the same thing I was thinking. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:

So your dating criteria makes nice tats trump professional criminal.

As a former dating coach, I'd advise you to reconsider your priorities [Wink]

She never said "trump". Perhaps it's "complement".
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
This guy seems like an inked nerd.

If this guy could play the bass, I'd marry him tomorrow.

But yeah, geeks with tattoo body suits are hot. Give me some money and a few years, and I'll be one myself.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

lol
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Well, the fact that she considers a member of the Japanese mafia a good marriage prospect simply because he has nice tats seems like trumping to me.

Unless being in organized crime is a favorable trait, and then I guess the tats do complement it [Razz]

If women considering tattoos a primary trait of marriageable material in a man is really so common, I think women are going to lose the privilege of calling guys superficial for marrying women for their youth and good looks. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foust:
quote:
Would you like a list of things done by Democrats that are repugnant?
Yes, I still would, thank you. As I've said, I already know about Vietnam and Kosovo. Don't bother listing health care, that has it's own thread.
Since Lisa isn't answering this yet, I'll give it a try. Going to bed now, so I'll just throw out the first few that come to mind: Opposing civil rights legislation. The Department of Education. Social Security.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
You're answering for her, or giving your own answers?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
The Department of Education and Social Security are repugnant? I can see someone thinking they're very bad mistakes, but repugnant goes and puts you in the fringe category, man.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Well, the fact that she considers a member of the Japanese mafia a good marriage prospect simply because he has nice tats seems like trumping to me.

Unless being in organized crime is a favorable trait, and then I guess the tats do complement it [Razz]

If women considering tattoos a primary trait of marriageable material in a man is really so common, I think women are going to lose the privilege of calling guys superficial for marrying women for their youth and good looks. [Big Grin]

I'm partially joking, those tattoos are gorgeous though, and many non-yakusa are sporting those beautiful illustrations.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
The Department of Education and Social Security are repugnant? I can see someone thinking they're very bad mistakes, but repugnant goes and puts you in the fringe category, man.

I'll grant you that. Repugnant is definitely overstating it. Very bad mistakes sounds much more accurate to me. Thanks [Smile]

I was really more just thinking "What are things Democrats have done that screwed things up?"

In fairness, I don't think many of the things Foust would call repugnant qualify as repugnant either. Like, the Vietnam war, for instance.

PS: Foust I was answering for myself, not for Lisa, although I suspect she'll agree that those are three bad mistakes made by Democrats.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
If we are going to investigate voting patterns we should focus on the extreme. 95% of African Americans vote Democrat. Why? Unfortunate for the gays in California, the blacks outlawed their marriages.

If 95% of whites voted Repub, the racism would be undeniable. Here's a nice fact for you. Less than half the Tea Party members are R's. More than half are Dems and Independents.

Of course, Pelosi wants you to believe that people who believe in limited government are racist right wing Republicans. Brown won in Mass due to his Tea Party positions. Republicans didn't have enough votes to elect Scott Brown and they aren't the majority of the Tea Party.

[ April 10, 2010, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: malanthrop ]

Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:
Here's a nice fact for you. Less than half the Tea Party members are R's. More than half are Dems and Independents.

I know this is probably barking up the wrong tree, but... source?

I like the Tea Parties quite a bit, but this does not jive with anything I've read about them. Certainly Democrats have some representation, and there are quite a few Independents, but outnumbering the Republicans? I'm skeptical.

MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know this is probably barking up the wrong tree, but... source?
There was a recent poll, though his numbers are off. It's about 60% Republicans, 40% Democrats + independents, but even that obfuscates the fact that it's less than 10% Democrats/liberals.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/04/teacup-half-full.html

What gets lost though is that fact that virtually no one wants to admit to being a Republican. Other polls have indicated that only something like 20% of the population currently identify themselves as Republican. Many of today's "independents" were Republicans only a year or two ago. So a group that's 60% Republican leans MUCH heavier to the right than the population at large. A lot of those independents are also Beckian Libertarians, not moderates.

[ April 10, 2010, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: MattP ]

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

That looks more familiar, Matt. The idea that anything but a very centrist Democrat would appreciate much that the Tea Parties are fighting for is basically ridiculous on its face.
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.