FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy Equinox Celebrations! (To everyone else)

Author Topic: Happy Equinox Celebrations! (To everyone else)
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
So you don't feel left out!
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
The equinox was March 20th. The fact that you only remembered it on Easter pretty much makes me feel left out. [Smile] (Good thing I'm not sensitive about these things.)
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought about posting "Happy Zombie Day" asmy facebook status but decided it wasn't worth the fallout.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I think all holidays that cluster around this week fall under the category of "Equinox Celebrations," whether they are actually celebrated on March 20th or not.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
I think all holidays that cluster around this week fall under the category of "Equinox Celebrations," whether they are actually celebrated on March 20th or not.

Thank you for telling us what we are really celebrating.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:

I don't think he was. He was just putting things into categories.

Christmas and Saturnalia would both be classified as 'Winter Celebrations' because they are celebrations that take place in the winter.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:

Damn, I hate agreeing with you.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
So can those who celebrate Easter also celebrate the equinox?
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

It wasn't quite putting it into categories. My thinking is that spring is, in general, a time of rebirth and prosperity. I do not think it is an accident that multiple holidays have accumulated around that time. It's not because they are all "secretly celebrating the equinox" (although in the case of Christianity, the integration with other pagan rituals is pretty blatant) but rather because each culture has something worth celebrating that benefits from being celebrated at time when rebirth and prosperity can punctuate the event.

In any case, it was a flippant post intended to be funny, and I am willing to sacrifice some accuracy in service of that intention.

LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
I thought about posting "Happy Zombie Day" asmy facebook status but decided it wasn't worth the fallout.

I posted: "Happy Zombie Jesus Day"
i didnt have any bad fallout. just a lot of "likes". haha

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.