FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cooking Mayfly: Chicken

Author Topic: Cooking Mayfly: Chicken
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
How long does making a chicken in an oven at 450 degrees (I assume farenheit) take? 30 minutes? An hour?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
That's kind of hot for a whole chicken. You're likely to burn the outside and leave the inside raw. It takes about an hour for a whole, thawed chicken at about 350-375F.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

But shouldn't it cook twice as fast if its twice as hot!?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Only the outside, not the middle.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*nod* You want to cook a whole chicken at about 350 degrees Farenheit for an hour (to hour and a half), ideally after buttering the skin and closing the cavity in some way.

Hotter than that will result in a crisper skin, but the outside will cook much faster than the inside; as a result, the skin may burn while the inside stays raw. A few minutes in the microwave can fix this, but you can avoid this problem by using a lower temperature in the first place.

A lower temperature, cooked longer, will result in more tender meat, but you'll find that cooking something for too long will dry it out. If you cook at 275 or 300 degrees Farenheit, your chicken will eventually get done but will be incredibly dry; even basting won't help.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just add... probably too late. Cutting slits in the skin and actually buttering the inside of the skin against the meat makes a huge difference in keeping the breast moist.
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Cooking the bird breast down works best to keep the breast moist.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Meat is murder! Seriously though, you need to spice it well or it really is a waste of a good chicken, IMO. How did you make it?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I put it in the pan and did nothing else to it.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...450 degrees (I assume farenheit)...
Gosh, I would hope that's Fahrenheit... [Razz]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

How did it end up?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Seems alright, this time i moved it to a different pan so the juices won't congeal on it so it wont be unnecessarily greasy.

Its in the fridge I didnt eat it yet as I had 2 chickens and made one into pad thai and the other i cooked for later.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
Seriously though, you need to spice it well or it really is a waste of a good chicken, IMO.

Nah. Naked roast chicken is delicious.
Itsame
Member # 9712

Maybe I've just lost my taste for meat, given how long it's been.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Is it possible to poison myself from tefflon that gets scratched off and coats my food?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It won't kill you. But it will ruin your pans.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You shouldn't scratch off your Teflon. And if your food is coated in it, you probably shouldn't eat that food.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Meat is murder! Seriously though, you need to spice it well or it really is a waste of a good chicken, IMO. How did you make it?

Meat is Murder
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badenov
Member # 12075

- posted      Profile for Badenov           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
quote:

Meat is Murder
Yeah! But Murder is *also* Murder!
Posts: 38 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Psych!
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
You shouldn't scratch off your Teflon. And if your food is coated in it, you probably shouldn't eat that food.

I was using a metal spatula originally and forgot how badly that works out so I think some of it got in my food.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.