FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This is messed up

Author Topic: This is messed up
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Death threats to South Park creators over potential depiction of Muhammad.

They can back-peddle all they want, but that's what it is. How is it that this kind of thing can't get someone arrested?

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
found this comment relevant:

"I am curious. If a white power group made similar statements against Barack Obama and referenced the assassination of MLK on their website and tried to deflect blame due to "the reality" of racial hatred in the world, what would happen to them? The FBI would be showing up on their doorstep for sure."

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
The Pres. Obama argument is somewhat invalid seeing as there have been so many direct death threats against him since in victory in the election. There were tons and we havent heard any news about since, so perhaps the FBI did just that. Besides, these people disclosed the location of a possible home address along with the threat, attempting to encourage a vigilante assassin.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what is really messed up?

I considered the following reply, "Oh my god, they are going to kill Kenny."

That is messed up.

Prior to the election there were several Radio show hosts doing jokes that basically ran, President Obama goes to heaven and meets President Reagan. "I'm the first African American President" President Obama claimed. "Oh," said President Reagan, "for how long?" President Obama looked down and said, "oh, about 10 minutes." They were not shut down or silenced for passing on these jokes.

Still, if the Islamic world wants to understand why they don't get our sympathy its for reasons like this.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like a few radical Muslims have successfully imposed a gag on major media outlets. Demanding respect by threat of violence should earn the opposite: widespread and harsh ridicule. Such threats are only made because someone hopes they will work. I'm rather ashamed of our general cowardice in sustaining that hope.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
You know what is really messed up?

I considered the following reply, "Oh my god, they are going to kill Kenny."

That is messed up.

You B*&%^#d!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In the 14 years we’ve been doing South Park we have never done a show that we couldn’t stand behind. We delivered our version of the show to Comedy Central and they made a determination to alter the episode. It wasn’t some meta-joke on our part. Comedy Central added the bleeps. In fact, Kyle’s customary final speech was about intimidation and fear. It didn’t mention Muhammad at all but it got bleeped too. We’ll be back next week with a whole new show about something completely different and we’ll see what happens to it.
I am really disappointed in Comedy Central.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like there should be someone coming around to say it was supposed to be a joke, because or how South Park made fun of this same issue a few years ago.

It made me laugh though about how the episodes were about rehashing old plot lines and this comes around.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Two scoops full of awesome, Jon Stewart for President.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.