FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Trailer for "The Last Airbender"

Author Topic: New Trailer for "The Last Airbender"
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YgaVe19zs8

Big News! They're converting "The Last Airbender" into 3D. Not sure how I feel about it since the general consensus is that post-production conversion for live action movies sucks, but then again, I avoid 3D live action movies like the plague so I can't really say one way or another. A few people involved in the 3D conversion are saying that it should be better than "Clash of the Titans" since Shyamalan loves using long shots instead of quick cuts which never give your eyes a chance to adjust to 3D.

As for the trailer itself, we get to see Appa and Ozai! No sign of Momo yet though its been confirmed he's in the movie. We also see a "dragon spirit" who seems to be fulfilling the role of Fang/Roku/Koh. I'm hoping that they explain that its Roku speaking though Fang, or something.

We get to see some of the Blue Spirit and Aang escape scene. I was most excited to hear Zuko speak. I think Dev Patel is going to do a great job with the character.

It still cracks me up how every trailer spoils more and more of the ending. I'm sure that people who haven't seen the show don't know what's happening in the water-tentacle scene on the bridge, but the fan reaction seems to be disbelief that they'd show Zhao's death in the trailer. Oh well.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a few interviews with various directors who have said that post-production conversions CAN be quite excellent, but that it's a long and expensive process, and that quick and easy usually means sloppy and unfulfilling.

Either way, this likely is not a movie I'd be planning to see in 3D anyway. I'm less and less enamored with 3D, though I admit there have been movies where it has been quite impressive.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Consolidating Koh/Roku/Fang into one person hadn't occurred to me as possibility. I'm not sure what I think of it. I know (frustratingly) that Koh can't really make into into the movie, since he's too random a character who serves no larger purpose, but he was one of the awesomest (totally a real word) characters in the show.

Combining Fang and Roku doesn't make a lot of sense to me though. Roku's existence (as a human that Aang is reincarnated from) is pretty fundamental to the show IMO. I think (hope) that that scene was simply juxtoposing Roku's voice with the Dragon for coolness sake.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
They made Aang's tattoos much cooler, and Sokka looked believable in the role. From that little snippet of Zuko I think they should have dramatized the scar, its all I saw when he was on screen so to have the movie Zuko with a little one is kinda lame.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with the scar myself. I'm not sure what would be realistic, but at the very least he should be missing an eyebrow.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Realism be damned, they ride a giant six legged yeti through the air. Its fantasy and fantasy demands the incredible, such as a young man not only surviving a blast that could cause such a large and devastating wound but also have no effect on his body.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Woot! A Dragon! Woot!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I just watched the trailer again randomly, and it was still really cool so I decided to bump the thread.
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, all my skepticism is gone. The bending looks awesome. Appa looks so perfect. I don't even care how the story is butchered (which it'd be cool if it wasn't) I just want to see more earth and water bending!
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

I hope they have the ocean spirit possess Aang, but it doesn't look like it.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
When did the ocean spirit posess Aang? He was just in the avatar state.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Very end. I can't recall if he went into the Avatar state on his own first, but I think the final moment involved both.
Member # 11614

quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
When did the ocean spirit posess Aang? He was just in the avatar state.

The ocean spirit, thinking that the fire nation had killed the moon spirit went all crazy fused with Aang. It might have just been avatar state but I'm pretty sure that the koi had something to do with it.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Aasif Mandvi is playing Admiral Zhao!!!!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Woah, where have you been? [Smile]
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.