FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For those who dislike PDFs

Author Topic: For those who dislike PDFs
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
If I have to quickly post a document to a web page, what else could I use? Let's say the original document is sent as a Microsoft Word document. Let's also pretend that Microsoft Word can't export HTML files worth a darn, because these documents don't have consistent formatting. Sometimes there are tables, nested tables, images, or other quirky Word styles embedded inside the documents. As I said, I have to post these relatively quickly, and I don't necessarily have the time to reformat them as proper HTML web pages.

I know there's a lot of aggravation against unexpected PDF links, so I try to label all the PDF links I create, including a size tag (in kilobytes or megabytes) to indicate the document size.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, as annoying as they can be, I still think PDFs are your best option (if, for whatever reason, you can't use the original file format). Include a link to FoxIt Reader on your page.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't want to just host them as Word files, I take it?

You could install the Microsoft Document Imaging component of MS Office if you don't already have it, and that should give you the option to "print" with a virtual printer that can create TIFF image files. It's a widely portable/supported format, and allows you to retain the pagination.

(Doesn't work with 64 bit operating systems. *angry*.)

(Quality kind of sucks.)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like PDFs because their kinda slow and clunky on my computers.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
You don't want to just host them as Word files, I take it?

You could install the Microsoft Document Imaging component of MS Office if you don't already have it, and that should give you the option to "print" with a virtual printer that can create TIFF image files. It's a widely portable/supported format, and allows you to retain the pagination.

(Doesn't work with 64 bit operating systems. *angry*.)

(Quality kind of sucks.)

Whatever you do, don't do this. Posting text as images will make it invisible to search engines, unable to be resized (if say for instance someone is visually impaired) and just all around is a terrible choice.

I would just post them as pdf. There are multiple options for viewing pdfs today so complaints about adobe are misguided.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

I've resorted to posting Word documents in some cases, too. I would rather post a PDF than a Word document; I have a sneaking suspicion that PDF support is more widespread than MS Word.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
At least any particular version of Word, yes.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
You can try importing to Google docs and then share the resulting documents publicly.

Another option is print to PDF and then use a PDF->HTML tool to convert it to HTML. This usually presents a much better rendering than Word->HTML.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a number of newspapers use Scribd to embed original documents in their articles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scribd

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

We've also experimented with issuu (www.issuu.com).

It's not perfect, but it works for some of our PDFs.

Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
You should try winmail.dat formats. Everyone I know loves them!
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.