FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dammit.

Author Topic: Dammit.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I like eggplant. I never used to, because... I mean, it's eggplant. If you want me to eat something, don't give it a gross name. It's like okra.

But in Israel, eggplant is chatzilim, which doesn't sound gross. So I learned that I really like it.

So today, Havah brought home from the supermarket a package of eggplant filled bourekas. My first reaction was, "Eggplant is yummy, but not in bourekas, which should be either potato or cheese or mushroom". But she cooked them and brought me one while I was working. And it was scrumptious. Which is a good thing.

I don't get a lot of eggplant, because Havah is allergic to the nightshades. She can handle potatoes, generally, except for the skins, and tomato is okay with a lot of cheese. But eggplant is really strong, and she can't eat that at all.

And now I'm wondering if I can. Because inside of 10 minutes after finishing that amazing bourekas, my tongue started feeling numbish. I have slight ridges on the sides, too. And it tingles. It's relatively mild. I mean, with beans, the ridges are big, and my tongue really swells, as do my joints. But it feels like an allergic reaction.

There's a plate of several more of them that I was planning on having for breakfast tomorrow. And I'm not sure if I should risk it.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Eggplant is very, very yummy, and I really hope that you don't have an allergy to it since you have learned to love it. Quick question: what is a boureka? Sounds really interesting.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Food allergies are NOT something to mess with. If you think you are allergic, and with a known family history there's a good chance, then you need to avoid them. As for your current reaction, have you taken any Benadryl?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Janet.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

[And I don't have anything constructive to add as I know nothing about food alergies or eggplant. Some would say that should keep me from posting here. Clearly it hasn't.]

Best of luck Lisa!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
There's a plate of several more of them that I was planning on having for breakfast tomorrow. And I'm not sure if I should risk it.

Trips to the ER are never fun. On Shabbos that goes triple.

Really not a good idea to chance it, I think.

(I've never seen eggplant bourekas. I'll have to find some.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Can they be refrigerated? Try a small helping a few days later when the numbness is gone, confirm if there's a correlation?
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just curious, but why is it worse on Shabbos? Doesn't the need for medical attention override the normal restrictions?
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried eggplant parmesan a few months ago and liked it so much that I always have it in place of chicken parmesan!
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

Really not a good idea to chance it, I think.

(I've never seen eggplant bourekas. I'll have to find some.)

One Shabbat in Efrat, as I was learning that I'm allergic to beans, I wound up getting what they called ABC. Adrenaline, Benadryl and Cortisone. I don't recommend Adrenaline, btw.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
Food allergies are NOT something to mess with. If you think you are allergic, and with a known family history there's a good chance, then you need to avoid them. As for your current reaction, have you taken any Benadryl?

I didn't take anything, and gradually, it went away. And I had more of them over Shabbat, without any reaction. Which leaves me not knowing what caused that.

Btw, there's no family history. Havah and I aren't blood related; she's my partner.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Sala:
Eggplant is very, very yummy, and I really hope that you don't have an allergy to it since you have learned to love it. Quick question: what is a boureka? Sounds really interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourekas
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
quote:
Just curious, but why is it worse on Shabbos? Doesn't the need for medical attention override the normal restrictions?
Yes. But having to deal with it on Shabbos is still a huge pain.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh, I love pirogies and meat pies, and it looks like bourekas are very similar. Thanks for the info! Now I want to go make some.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.