FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Downtown Seattle

Author Topic: Downtown Seattle
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to be in downtown in Seattle for four hours with two of my children (ages 8 and 10) in the middle of Monday. What should we go see? Where should we go? I've never been to Seattle.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see...

Pike Place Market is of course a landmark, and it's full of interesting stuff.

Gameworks is neat, and kind of one of a dying breed, but be warned that it's a bit on the expensive side.

There used to be a good gelato place around 3rd and Union, but I haven't been there in a while, so I can't confirm if it's still there.

EDIT: It is. Gelatiamo.

Wild Ginger is a fantastic Thai place, where I once had eight kinds of soup with a large group (and they were all good...)

The Elliott Bay bookstore.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Bamboo Garden is one of the yummiest restaurants I've ever been in. THE yummiest vegetarian one. And they're very near the Space Needle, if you were interested in a look at that.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
If you do get as far as the Space Needle area, the Pacific Science Center is great for kids.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Pike Place Market.

Also, you could walk down to the waterfront for great views of the bay and islands and such. And the Seattle Aquarium is down by waterfront too. There's Anthony's Fish Bar for lunch. Linky. (Scroll to the bottom of the link.) It's casual seafood and features fish and chips with your choice of salmon or cod. Trust me, the salmon and chips is delicious.

I hope you enjoy your brief stay in Seattle! [Smile]

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a wonderful time, although it ended up being more interesting than we bargained for. Here's how it went:

At the beginning of our day of walking around, between the Amtrack station where we got off and the closest metro station, I found out that my daughter had a dime-sized blister on the sole of her foot that she hadn't bothered to tell either of her parents about. So the for the rest of the day, we alternated between her slowly limping and me carrying her on my back while trying to carry a backpack as well.

We then went down to Pike Place Market, had some delicious clam chowder, and saw some neat stuff.

We then went to and up the Space Needle and wished that we had time to look at all the other neat stuff in that area.

While taking the metro back to the Amtrack station, I received some ambiguous advice that caused me to not get off at the right stop. Unfortunately, the next stop was 20 minutes outside of the downtown on I90, where we got off, waited another 20 minutes for a bus to take us back, and then another 20 minutes to get back downtown.

With that hour delay, we missed the train by about 2 minutes. We were welcome to take the next train at 7:00 in the morning.

After about half an hour of trying to figure out what to do, and unable to get anybody on the phone at greyhound, we took a taxi to the Greyhound station only to find out that all the busses were full.

By that time, all of the downtown car rental places were closed down. We walked back to the metro station where we had originally received the unfortunate advice and got on the light rail to the airport, which, being the airport, sill was open and had cars to rent.

After a lot of frustration and waiting at the rental counter, and yet another bus ride to their place, we finally (four hours later) had transportation, and drove home.

And that was our adventure for the day.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! Well, glad at least some of that was fun!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With that hour delay, we missed the train by about 2 minutes. We were welcome to take the next train at 7:00 in the morning.
Oh, man. Missing it by two minutes is worse than missing it by an hour.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.