FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Shanghai World Expo

Author Topic: Shanghai World Expo
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the Shanghai World Expo has opened. Not the biggest fan of Shanghai, but there has been some interesting reading and pictures of the events for those that are interested:

Al Jazeera's short news clip

CNN has a stroll through "The Axis of Evil Square"

The Boston Globe's The Big Picture has a good photo-run down.

And a three-day walk-through at Chinasmack

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
When CNN refers to Axis of Evil Square they refer to the booths for Syria, Iran, and North Korea right?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Syria is in the axis of evil now? I don't exactly think they're a cup of tea, but I can think of far worse breeding grounds and facilitators of world terror than Syria, who if anything have been inching, albeit slowly, towards a sort of detente.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Well:
quote:
On May 6, 2002 future United States UN Ambassador John R. Bolton gave a speech entitled "Beyond the Axis of Evil". In it he added three more nations to be grouped with the already mentioned rogue states: Libya, Syria, and Cuba ... The speech was widely reported as an expansion of the original axis of evil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_of_evil

That said, I think CNN is only referring to North Korea and Iran, the two surviving members of the original "Axis of Evil" although the Telegraph notes that Burma is nearby (which is part of Rice's expansion, also in that article).

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Oh, I should note that I think the source of the 'Axis of Evil square' meme originated here.

Also, "meanwhile, in the European section of the site, the planners have made life easy for any debt-collection agencies. On what might be dubbed "Bankruptcy Boulevard", the Greek and Icelandic pavilions stand opposite each other."

Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
As regular readers know, for more than a year I’ve asked the USA pavilion at Expo 2010 (World’s Fair) and the State Department to provide me with a precise accounting of how they’re spending the US$61 million that they’ve raised from private corporations in the name of the United States of America ... And lo and behold, there, amidst a very interesting filing that I’ll touch upon in coming days, we find a June 29, 2009 document helpfully named “USA Pavilion Summary Cost Sheet.”

http://shanghaiscrap.com/?p=5045

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.