FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nice Thing to Do for Friend?

Author Topic: Nice Thing to Do for Friend?
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
So a while back I decided to try my hand at web design. It did not go well. But the person who hired me gave me incredible advice and I've been working for him doing various stuff for about a year now.

A few weeks back, I was having trouble believing in myself and focusing on my studies. Some things were challenging and had drained my energy. This person basically kicks me in the *** and gets me back on track - again.

I want to show this guy my deep appreciation. I would send him a gift basket but he is Orthodox Jewish and wouldn't be able to eat it.

Any ideas how to show him my appreciation? I'm a college student, but willing to pay somewhere around $50 - not very many people can get you back where you need to be when you aren't.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Write him a letter.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Scott. Writing a sincere letter explaining how much it meant to you is going to be better than most gifts.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
I would send him a gift basket but he is Orthodox Jewish and wouldn't be able to eat it.

Leaving aside your actual question (I think Scott's idea is a great one), I call BS on this. Most gift basket providers are more than happy to work with clients to provide all-kosher items in a gift basket. I have both given and received.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Fairytale Brownies. That's what they used to send me from work on my birthday, because they're 100% kosher. And they are beyond delicious. My favorite are the mint chocolate, the cream cheese, the white chocolate, the caramel, the chocolate chip and the original.

Brownies are way better than words. Especially when they're this good.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
A gift is good. A letter of appreciation is good. Which is better depends very much on the personality of your friend but you don't have to choose one or the other. You can do both, which would be much better than either one or the other in any case.

And I second rivka, you should be able to get a Kosher gift basket.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if any gift basket that didn't have a little jar of bacon cheese spread that tried to insinuate it was from Wisconsin without coming right out and saying it would be worth getting.

[Wink]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmmmmmmmmm bacon cheese... LOL. There was a vendor at the farmers market in Madison that had an absolutely awesome bacon cheddar spread.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

So there are kosher gift baskets. The brownies look interesting, thanks Lisa!, but can't find immediately anywhere where it says explicitly that they are kosher. The orthodox Judaism I'm talking about requires explicit markings of kashrut on items (at least for my family) even for food that is "kosher" and without it, my family would not be able to eat something.

Good. I'll send one with a nice note. Thanks! =)

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Certified Kosher
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So there are kosher gift baskets. The brownies look interesting, thanks Lisa!, but can't find immediately anywhere where it says explicitly that they are kosher. The orthodox Judaism I'm talking about requires explicit markings of kashrut on items (at least for my family) even for food that is "kosher" and without it, my family would not be able to eat something.

Good. I'll send one with a nice note. Thanks! =)

Phanto, For future reference, both Lisa and rivka are orthodox jews who keep kashrut so they know what you're talking about.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Thanks. I actually sort of knew that but forgot because studying for finals et cetra am tired =)

[ May 05, 2010, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Phanto ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Phanto, I have successfully ordered gifts baskets for people who are makpid cholov Yisrael (all parve items is generally the easiest in that case). Other than whole fruits, I am talking about entirely items with national (i.e., O-U, O-K, Star-K) hechsherim.

And I live in L.A. In NY I'd expect it to be far easier, and in Boston (do I recall correctly that that's where you are?) I'd expect it to be just as easy as here.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a fruit basket, carved into flower shapes? Edible Arrangements, I think the company is called....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Certain of their locations are under kosher supervision; most are not.
Phanto
Member # 5897

Thanks for the help and I have sent the brownies, along with a card (although the card does say "Happy Birthday" along its personal message).

The fruit basket idea is also good and I know there must be kosher ones out there (as we have gotten them in the past) but finding the vendor just takes soooo long!

[Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, that "Kosher Certified" notation on their website's Locations page is soooo hard to see. [Wink]
Phanto
Member # 5897

When you're tired (had 3 hour long pitch meeting, train ride, study session, final presentation in morning, et cetra) it can be hard to see even obvious things =)
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Gift cards are always nice as well. I have a sales partner here that always hooks me up with gift cards to Regal Cinemas every time I refer clients to her. I havent had to pay for a movie when I take my wife out in over 6 months now.

Something else you can do is just get one of those pre-paid debit cards for them, and let them buy whatever they need. They could have a nice night out or they could spend it on groceries. Either way I am sure it would be appreciated.

Heck, you could even get him a gift card to your college's book store. That way next semester he can apply it towards a book he may need for a class.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
When you're tired

Yeah, I don't know anything about tired.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:

The fruit basket idea is also good and I know there must be kosher ones out there (as we have gotten them in the past) but finding the vendor just takes soooo long!

[Smile]

I'm curious, what is there about a fruit basket that could make it no Kosher. Isn't all fresh fruit kosher?
Lisa
Member # 8384

Depends. It's being cut, right? Suppose the knife has been used for cutting something non-kosher prior to cutting the fruit? All whole fresh fruit is kosher (with a caveat), but cut fruit is different.

The caveat is fruit from Israel. If it's from Israel, then to be kosher, it has to have had the proper agricultural tithes taken from it. Also, produce grown during the Sabbatical year has its own issues and problems.

Phanto
Member # 5897

quote:

Yeah, I don't know anything about tired.

Touche.

In general, you can eat fruit as an Orthodox Jew in most situations. As Lisa says, cut fruit raises the possibility of "contamination" with non-Kosher food. The laws can be very complicated and sometimes challenging. IIRC, you might technically not be allowed to drink wine if it is poured by a non-Jew.

(Things like that are why the divine reward for honoring your parents (long life, I believe) is the same as the reward for chasing away a bird before taking her eggs. The idea behind that, according to some Rabbis, is we really can't know what is or is not important to G-d and we just have to do our best.)

Personally, I am not as strict as I perhaps should be regarding kashrut, but for someone who is, if you don't get it right, they can't eat it =)

rivka
Member # 4859

What's involved in making an Edible Arrangements kosher?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.