FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wisdom Teeth

Author Topic: Wisdom Teeth
August
Member # 12307

- posted      Profile for August   Email August         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

Yesterday I had my wisdom teeth removed and subsequently today I resemble a chipmunk. Any tips to keep the swelling down? How long is this going to last?

Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard it varies a lot. For me, after 3 days I felt and looked pretty normal but I've known people that have taken a lot longer. Good luck!
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it really depends. I haven't had mine out, but my best friend only took a few days. Another friend of ours had dry sockets, and it took a couple weeks. My mother got them out when she was a kid and two of them grew back, which had to be extracted again.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
It does indeed vary. My wife took about 3 days. My sister had dry sockets and took over a week to recover (of course, she smoked two days after the surgery, so that was her own fault). Some people are fine the next day. It just depends.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I had four out. Two of them healed super fast, two of them slow. The dentist at the follow up went back to his chart to make sure that he had indeed taken all four out- the top ones had healed that completely.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
The swelling went down for me after about 4 days.
I remember that I had a job interview two days after the operation, though, so I had to hit the Bobbie Brown counter to get concealer to hide the bruising.

I'm guessing that you're a guy, but a good - skin colour matching and therefore invisible - concealer might be in order if you have something important to do in the meantime (if you have marks).

Otherwise, if it's just swelling alone, put a little bit of ice on your cheek or neck every few hours and don't eat anything that isn't soft. Scrambled egg, blended soups, mashed potato or banana are good. Try drinking milkshakes to keep up your strength.

And use an anti-infection mouthwash every day. Your dentist or pharmacist should know a good one (nothing too harsh).

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
First few days are pretty sucky. Do everything you can to avoid dry socket. Relax. Take it easy. Don't use straws for the love of god do not use straws
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Don't use straws for the love of god do not use straws

Please, please, for all that is holy listen to the man.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
About seven years ago I was suffering from a bad tooth ache. My dentist suggested my wisdom teeth needed to be removed. I had just started a new job so my insurance hadn't kicked in. I had them remove the one bad wisdom tooth that hurt, but left the other three for when my insurance would cover the cost of removing them.

They are still in my mouth today and I have had no pain.

The one that was removed was an upper one, which is easier to heal as its less likely things would fall into the open socket. For some reason it was also much less inexpensive to remove than the lower ones. So by being cheap I saved not only about 90% of the cost, but a lot of pain and suffering.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.