FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "McDonald's goes gay in new TV ad"

Author Topic: "McDonald's goes gay in new TV ad"
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
This ad will be airing in France. [Smile]

Seems kinda surprising to me that McDonald's is running it.

Is McDonald's worldwide all part of the same franchising corporation? If so, and if there is an international advertising board, perhaps we will start seeing similar commercials in areas of the US? Somehow I don't see that. (But it would be nice if they did.)

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like that commercial.
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
"Come as you are"

But dont tell your family, you dont want to let them down. Would you like fries with that?

... What do they call french fries in France?

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
American fried potatoes.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Might as well export puritan guilt along with the saturated fat and salt. Come to McDonalds, the place to enjoy hetero-normative pressure from your father. It's sort of heart warming, but mostly just sad.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Pommes Frites (or usual just Frites)

I found that a really depressing ad. Poor kid, having to hide from his father.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it didn't really support the "come as you are" tag line.

(Unless "as you are" refers to being in the closet.)

[ June 02, 2010, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it is part of a series and in a later one, the dad will take the kid and his bf out to McD. I think that would be a better all inclusive ad- whatever your family looks like, you can eat at McD.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
...because when I want to judge and be judged, I go to McDonalds...
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
MCDONALDS! not just for the obese and lower-middle class anymore, gays now welcome!
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
BK went gay a long time ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugNvnyurhNU&feature=related

[ June 03, 2010, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Destineer ]

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if they're promising to intervene when the father starts shouting that he doesn't have a son...
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he's not gay at all. Was probably on the phone with his hot ladyteacher.
Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt the commercial was good in an awkward and realistic way.

I took it as
"During this last year at school I learned (or became certain) that I am gay, and I have found my first love. Dad has just picked me up from school and we are on the way home. We stopped here at McDonald's and while dad is going to order I gave my boyfriend a quick call. Now my dad is looking at my class photo and commenting, and....oh my.... this is awkward....he doesn't know about my boyfriend yet and I haven't thought about exactly how to tell him."

-->sidenote: (I do not believe many people carry around class photos, thus the reason to conclude they are en route home from some private all-boys boarding school.)

Also, from the son's face, I didn't feel it portrayed fear of discovery. It felt more to me like "oh dad, you don't realize that you are clueless on this one" in almost an affectionate way.

I didn't read the "come as you are" message as implying a contrast to the son's long-term hiding in the closet. I took it the opposite way that McDonald's was a place for him to come out and be himself. I imagined he was coming out to his dad in the moments after the scene portrayed in the commercial.

Maybe I read too much into it? Rose colored glasses sometimes.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the ad at all.

McDonald's is happy to serve demure, at least partially-closeted gay people? Yeah, no kidding. So is Chick-fil-A (which partners sometimes with Focus on the Family)*. This is nothing at all noteworthy. It's fine, don't get me wrong, it's just not brave or humanistic or anything at all other than a particular angle on the basic profit motive of any business.

Does McDonald's food or business model have any particular relevance to gay rights or gay interests? I can't think of any.

You can bet that McDonald's market analysis determined that in the target market, they expected to get less backlash from anti-gay demographic groups than they expected to earn goodwill with this ad.

So to me, the ad comes off as a cynical attempt to exploit gay interests for profit, rather than any kind of sincere attempt to lend support to the gay rights community.

Almost every company's advertising tries to make you feel good for the sole purpose of making more money. This aspect is nothing particularly worth comment.

But when a company so blatantly ignores selling their product and instead tries to sell their sensitivity, but does it in such a bland and cautious manner (making it clear they haven't stopped thinking about the bottom line), it goes a bit beyond the usual pop psych hubris of advertising, IMO.

*Sorry, I am conscious of how I moved the context to America for the comparison. It's just that I don't know the comparable French company. :/

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Might as well export puritan guilt along with the saturated fat and salt. Come to McDonalds, the place to enjoy hetero-normative pressure from your father. It's sort of heart warming, but mostly just sad.

I don't see it that way. The young man seems more amused by his fathers assumption than ashamed of himself.
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aeolusdallas:
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:

I don't see it that way. The young man seems more amused by his fathers assumption than ashamed of himself.
That's actually how I saw it too. Didn't make it less awkward, or useless in a sense, but that's how I took it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.