FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gaza Arabs Sue Gush Katif Farmers

Author Topic: Gaza Arabs Sue Gush Katif Farmers
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Link

So basically, Israel throws 9000 innocent men, women and children out of their homes for the benefit of the Arabs of Gaza. American Jewish philanthroposts spend millions to make sure the Arabs of Gaza can run the farms that the Jews of Gush Katif have spent decades building.

The moment Israel pulls out of Gaza, the Arabs of Gaza destroy the farms.

And now the Arabs of Gaza are suing the expelled Jews because they lost their jobs.

Used to be the classic example of chutzpah was someone killing his parents and then throwing himself on the mercy of the court because he's an orphan. Now there's a new example.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The real chutzpenyaks are the Israeli lawyers whose idea these cases appear to have been. Mosrim.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
It's obvious from reading through the last couple weeks of threads that you're perceived by a lot of posters as a militant, right-wing, pro-Israel troll.

Now, I know that I'm breaking the first rule of the internet by feeding the troll, but I just spent some time going through old threads that you posted in. Of all the changes that I've noticed on the Rack, your style seems to be the most pronounced.

While your POV was always known, it never seemed so...irreverent or antagonistic.

For some reason, this disturbs me more than it should...Perhaps I've subconsciously made you the symbol of all that seems to be wrong with the board these days.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To add salt to their wounds, Arabs from Gaza are suing them for dismissal indemnities and other employee benefits that they claim are owed them as a result of the termination of their employment.

The counter-claim that “we didn’t fire you, the government simply liquidated our farms and businesses” does not impress the Arabs.

Isn't that just standard procedure?

In Canada, at least:
quote:
The Canada Labour Code also provides for severance pay to employees who have 12 months service or more. Ontario has a similar provision covering employees with five years' service or more.
...Finally, any portion of unused vacation must be paid upon termination of employment during a working year.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/lp/spila/clli/eslc/07termination_of_employment.shtml

It seems to me that at least in Canada, if the government shuts down a business and you're fired because of that, you're still entitled to collect severance pay and what not. The business owners would be entitled to compensation from the government, but I don't think the former employees would be required to sue the government directly.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

There's quite a big difference between a government shutting down a business because of violations of the law or similar, and shutting it down because the land it's on is about to be given to the very same individuals who are now suing their former employers.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

I don't think that would make a difference. If Canada settled a land claim for native Americans giving back their land and the government decided that businesses employing native Americans had to move out, I would still expect the labour code to apply.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Too bad that hypothetical has no basis in reality.
Mucus
Member # 9735

Too bad for what precisely?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully the cases are dismissed. I think the more appropriate party to sue would be Hamas, but good luck with that.

Out of curiosity, I recall millions of dollars being raised and paid to someone so the greenhouses wouldn't be dismantled, and would be left intact for the Gazans when the Israelis pulled out. I was under the impression that that money went to the farmers themselves. Was that not the case? If not, where did it go?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where that money went. I do know that the greenhouses were left intact and operational, and that the savages went in and destroyed them.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
... I was under the impression that that money went to the farmers themselves. Was that not the case?

Looks like it unless the deal changed afterwards
quote:
Compensation for the Katif farmers will come from a consortium of private donors, headed by the Quartet special envoy for disengagement, James Wolfensohn.

According to the agreement, farmers who leave their greenhouses operational will receive $4,000 per dunam. The Gaza Strip greenhouses cover an area of 3,000 dunams (875 acres).
Gush farmers have been promised assistance amounting to 91 percent of the costs of building new greenhouses inside the Green Line, estimated at $18,000 per dunam (one-quarter acre). The compensation from the ECF will allow them to finance the remaining 9 percent.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/last-ditch-deal-keeps-katif-greenhouses-intact-1.166783
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I don't know where that money went. I do know that the greenhouses were left intact and operational, and that the savages went in and destroyed them.

Who specifically? Or even, what group, specifically?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Some 200 dunams of greenhouse space in the Gaza Strip were ransacked recently by dozens of armed Palestinians and residents of Khan Yunis.
According to Palestinian and international sources involved in running the greenhouses, the armed robbers belonged to two militias, the Assistance Committees and the Popular Army, affiliated with former Palestinian ruling party Fatah. These militias had been hired by the Palestinian Authority to guard both the ruins of the former settlements and the greenhouses, which were all under cultivation. But instead of guarding the greenhouses, the guards decided to rob them.
This is not the first time Palestinian vandals have attacked the greenhouses, but the previous incidents caused less damage.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/palestinian-militants-ransack-former-gush-katif-greenhouses-1.179788

Looks like that was February 2nd, 2006, judging by the comments.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hm. From that article, it sounds like only a portion of the greenhouse space was actually destroyed, at least, if the numbers there are right. 200 dunams were destroyed out of 4,000 that were available for cultivation. That's 5%. There must be more to it than that. Plus, it wasn't the farmers that did it, but rather corrupt guards that were supposed to be guarding it, but instead ransacked it, and in fact, local police tried to stop them and were wounded in the attempt.

The impression I got from Lisa was that "the savages" and "the Arabs" meant everyone, and implied complicity from everyone, but this tells a different story. Again, the farmers have a reason to be upset. They didn't shoot themselves in the foot, they're victims too. They're just going after the wrong person in their anger. I don't think Israel has anything to do with this one. Someone, whether Fatah, Hamas, or an international organization, should have provided better security.

Mucous
Member # 12331

- posted      Profile for Mucous           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe something happened after (Feb) 2006, but I'm having difficulty on Google News Archive finding it.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.