FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone here read 'Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid'

Author Topic: Anyone here read 'Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid'
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard it mentioned a few times, and I'm looking for a good summer book. This one seems long, and I don't want to start it if it's outdated or just plain bad. But it won a Pulitzer, so it can't be all that bad.

Anyone here read it? Did you like it?

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
The book is amazing. But like you say, it's long, and it's not an easy read at all. But a seriously fantastic read. I know a few others have read it as well, DB and Tatiana come to mind.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read it. You can skip the Achilles-Tortoise sections, but otherwise it is an excellent introduction to a large number of powerful ideas.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read it, but I can't say I've read every single page yet.
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
In high school. I should read it again as it is a blurry memory by now.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read it. I wouldn't say it was the best book I've read, but I think I would say it was the most influential on me. It touches on so many subjects, that you might even be confused about what the book is about. If you don't at least have a slight interest in Godel's Incompleteness Theorems, you will find long stretches of the book fatiguing and boring.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it after it was recommended here by Hobbes about 7 years ago.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
I've read it. You can skip the Achilles-Tortoise sections,

Really?

I liked those sections.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people find them entertaining, yes, but for entertainment you can find better short stories on the web. For the ideas, read the meat of the book.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
If I read it (and I think I am), I'm not going to skip anything.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
What is it about?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Godel, Escher, and Bach.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
What is it about?

Decent summary and lots of reviews.

Heh. I have more friends with it shelved as to-read than read.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Read most of it. I see it as the kind of book you read a few chapters, re-read them, then ruminate.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother read it and seemed to like it quite a bit. I seemed to recall he borrowed it from a library several times and them just bought the thing because it took so long to get through.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a philosophy geek and it is great read.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The first half of the book (GEB) is, I think, pretty timeless. The second half, (EGB), which delves more specifically into genetics and artificial intelligence is definitely dated in places but still very relevant. Its actually surprising how little progress has been made in the past 30 years on many of the key questions raised in the book.

As others have mentioned, this is not a book that should be read quickly. It requires a lot of rumination. It's also not a book where you need to read every section.

If you read this book, I highly recommend you read Mary Midgley's "Science and Poetry".

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, just to jump back in and leave more feedback, this book took me the better part of a year and a half to read.

I disagree with King of Men about the Achilles-Tortoise sections. I thought they were not only entertaining, but intellectually satisfying as well. One sticks out in particular, because it was included in Hofstadter and Dennett's amazing The Mind's I. It was a chapter in which Achilles an the Tortoise are discussing an important concept in the book through dialogue, and eventually you realize that not only is their conversation about the concept but the actual structure of the conversation, the structure of the sentences you are reading is analogous to the concept being talked about as well.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loki
Member # 2788

- posted      Profile for Loki           Edit/Delete Post 
Strider yes. To the point that some of those dialogues are complete palindromes. He illustrates the concepts with the structure of the language in those sections. It makes the whole book multidimensional.

It isn't however, a "beach" book. It's more like reading a calculus manual written as poetry.

Most amazing book I have ever read, however, yes, sometimes one page took me a week to read and comprehend enough to move on to the next page.

Posts: 39 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.