FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Moving into my first apartment. Hooray for me!

Author Topic: Moving into my first apartment. Hooray for me!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
After weeks of apartment hunting, my best friend and I finally found a place we liked that had a good price, so we applied and were approved on the spot! We still weren't sure if it was going to be the place or not, but while we were hemming and hawing, the leasing agent dropped the rent by about 10%, which made it by far the best deal we'd seen. Later today we're going to put down a deposit to make it all official, but for all intents and purposes, I have my first apartment, and I'm moving out of my mom's house in a couple weeks.

I'm very excited and I'm really looking forward to being out on my own. Part of me thinks I should have moved out years ago, but staying home has really ensured that my school loans won't be out of control when I graduate next May.

The only think we have left to decide is what floor plan we want for the apartment, and while I won't subject anyone to actual floor plans for advice, I was wondering about one aspect. One of the floor plans has to be on the ground floor, and the other plan would be on the second or third. I was thinking about it in terms of heating bills, upper floors being cheaper to heat, but a lot of people have been telling me that upper floors are also less likely to be broken into. We're not incredibly worried about break-ins, it's a fairly nice area, but has anyone else found this to be something worth taking into account?

Also, any in general move-out advice would be welcome. I'm sure I'll make mistakes and learn from them in this whole independent endeavor, but keeping them to a minimum wouldn't be awful. Hooray for me!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Be very clear with your flatmate on how the bills are divided and stick to the system. Same goes for cleaning and food duties if they are ever shared, garbage, etc. Resentment is born of non-communication on such issues. I've had plenty of bad roommates who were mostly bad because we didn't have a system that worked for all of us. And believe me- I've lived with at least 50 people (most short term) in 7 years. The best were the ones who gave space, but communicated before "a something" became "a problem."

You do not at this moment understand how your attention to detail may increase when you are paying for the space in which you live, so be aware of it and try not to let things get on your nerves unless they need to. How you live when you support yourself is really pretty different from how you live when you don't. The difference was shocking to me, frankly.

As for the floors- the higher the better in my opinion. Save on heat if the building is well constructed, and noise is often reduced, though that all depends on the building. If you are in a cold climate, off the ground is probably better, because the ground will suck up a lot of heat if it's rocky. You are also less likely to get mold, again depending on the building. I currently live in a 16th floor flat and have never used the heater, even on a cold day. The building is always warm.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I never did first floor when I lived in apts. The stairs were just an extra work out. [Smile]
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Lyrhawn!

Definitely make the rooms you want private up higher, especially if you or your roommate will have a lot of people over. I guess that's pretty obvious advice.

Also, for moving: books weigh a lot. Don't get overly ambitious and fill your biggest boxes with books. You'll make enemies of anyone helping you move if you do.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

We've already decided on how to split the bills. Duties we haven't gotten to specifically, but I imagine that's a conversation we'll have in the next week or two.

quote:
Resentment is born of non-communication on such issues.
quote:
The best were the ones who gave space, but communicated before "a something" became "a problem."
Both of those sound like something to keep in mind. Thanks.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
Congrats, Lyrhawn!

Definitely make the rooms you want private up higher, especially if you or your roommate will have a lot of people over. I guess that's pretty obvious advice.

Also, for moving: books weigh a lot. Don't get overly ambitious and fill your biggest boxes with books. You'll make enemies of anyone helping you move if you do.

Deciding what books to take with me is driving me crazy. We actually have quite a bit of space. The apartment is bigger than the house I currently live in, by square footage. So I think I could take all my precious, lovely, wonderful books with me, but other than bringing them just to have them, I realize I should probably leave half of them at home. Thanks for the packing advice though, I'll be sure to spread them around.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

What happened to me was that during my senior year of highschool, my room became the family library. Most of my parents and brothers books ended up there. When I moved, I took way too many with me, and most of them just gathered dust when I wasn't moving between dorms and apartments.

Are you moving far from your current house? Will you be visiting often? If so, I'd leave most books there, and bring the ones you want slowly, in waves.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
*high five*
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'll only be about 20 minutes from my mom's place, and I'll be coming back a couple times a month probably. I guess I can survive on one book case. Right now I have three five shelf book cases packed two deep with books, and a five drawer dresser that you'd think would have clothes, but is actually packed tetris style with maybe a hundred history books that were discarded by my professors and dutifully adopted by me. Every book needs a loving home. And I have a couple towers of books that I don't have furniture for dotting the landscape of my room like those big sandstone towers in Arches National Park.

This might be the hardest part of moving.

Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:

Fortunately, anyone helping me move knows that my boxes are full of books.

ETA: Oh! And grats Lyrhawn!

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. I hope it works well for you. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
OH how this thread makes me think whistfully of the days when I lived in the states and could consider the prospect of loading my books... all my precious wonderful books, into a car and driving them to a new flat. Oh to have such freedom, such access.

No, ori, don't go there, it's too much... :tear:

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I'll say is that you have to be anal retentive about the apartment inspection prior to move-in. Get the landlord to do a thorough walk-through WITH YOU to check every square foot of the place. I neglected to do this on my first apartment and ended up having to pay for "repairs" (totalled $200 of my safety deposit) to the apartment for problems that were there before I moved in. The second time around, I didn't pay a cent because I had marked EVERYTHING ahead of time.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah we were planning to do something like that, though maybe not quite so militant about it. The leasing agent we're working with already told us that they're planning to do a little remodeling before we move in, like painting, new fixtures, cosmetic stuff, but we'll be sure to inspect the place thoroughly before we actually sign papers and take possession. I hadn't thought about that as an expense, that's good advice.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Lyr!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! And I agree that higher is better (with the exception of moving day.) Book packing tip...go to a local big chain bookstore and ask if they have boxes they can give away. They're usually the perfect size and will keep you from overpacking a box and then realizing you can't lift it.

Learning to deal with roommates was one of the most important lessons I've learned as an "adult." it's funny how little things like who buys the next roll of toliet paper can turn into major wars even among the closest of friends. My college bestie and I survived by keeping everything separate and giving each other plenty of breathing room. Other people I know were totally cool with their roommate cooking the ground beef they'd bought for themselves and thought we were weird for keeping two half empty jars of peanut butter in our pantry. You'll have to find your own system and be willing to communicate about anything that seems unfair before it turns into a grudge.

But you'll love the independence and the satisfaction of taking care of yourself and putting a roof over your own head.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
It's funny how little things like who buys the next roll of toliet paper can turn into major wars even among the closest of friends.

After moving in with 2 of my best friends since high school after moving literally across the country, one of them and myself came "this close" to a full-on fist-fight over who got the shower with the detachable nozzle.

After the other friend suggested we just pitch in and upgrade the 2nd nozzle, we "kissed and made up."

And that's why you don't drink while discussing these matters.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
More sources for packing boxes: fast-food restaurants (meat patties and fries come in boxes), places that do printing, Walmart (frozen food boxes, boxes that printer paper comes in). Oh, and liquor stores, if you can get there and ask them not to cut the top but to open it - those boxes have dividers if you want something to carry breakables like glasses.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And supermarkets! Find out what their box-crush schedule is (not kidding), and you can get quite a haul if you get there shortly before.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Label your moving boxes carefully. If you have even a quarter of the "stuff" I've managed to accumulate over the years, there's a chance there'll be a box or two that won't be unpacked a week after you move in. That's where you'll inevitably find the keys to that desk drawer... The old version of your resume... That one cable without which your stereo, computer, or media-playing-device won't talk to any other component... Having an over-all label like "books" or "pots and pans" just to know the general area a box should be put down is good, but having a reasonably complete inventory of what went where can be very helpful up the line.

Even in relatively nice areas, a bottom-floor apartment can get a lot of noise. Conversely, I enjoyed my third-story apartment, but it got painfully hot during the summer. And hauling a portable air conditioner up those stairs was, well, thank heaven for good samaritans.

Congratulations on the move. I hope it goes smoothly.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Put down the deposit today, and we sign the lease papers later this week.

Right now we're in a bottom-floor apartment with one unit above us. But I'm going to call on Friday to see if there's an upper unit available. The guy said that there were two today, but my room mate and I hadn't chosen a floor plan yet, so I went with the other one by default, so, it'll be up to luck and fate to decide where we end up. I think it's either going to be the bottom floor or the second of three floors. Is it better to be on the ground floor or sandwiched between the upper and lower floors?

I'd rather be painfully hot in the summer than cold in the winter. I can always go to the pool or turn on a fan, but paying for more heat I think will cause me more grief. I wish a third story was available, but I don't think it is. I'll find out Friday.

Thanks for the packing advice. Honestly I haven't even really thought about packing yet, the idea of moving out is both exciting and sort of surreal, I haven't even thought about the logistics of it yet.

Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
And believe it or not, banana boxes can be good moving boxes. They have holes in the tops and bottoms, so lots of people don't like them. All you have to do is cut up some of the boxes to fill in the holes. They are good and sturdy. And have hand holes on the sides to help pick them up. Though I have to admit, cutting the boxes apart to fill the holes was kinda tough with just a pair of scissors. Box cutters would work much, much better!
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Banana boxes are the only boxes I use. Most grocery stores have tons of extras, you just have to get there before they break them down for the day.

I just put some extra cardboard, or a big book on the bottom. The weight of what's on top usually holds it in place.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm going tomorrow to pick up a bunch of boxes from one of the professors at my University who just moved into town. Seems like someone always has boxes.
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
The boxes that your textbooks come in can be handy for moving things dishes, books, or vinyl records. My apartment is on the bottom floor too, but the noise isn't too big a problem because we live near the edge of the city.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Be conservative about what you move. It sounds like you will very likely be moving again in a year and you will be still close enough to your Mom's house to get stuff if you need it.

Moving is a great time to throw stuff out. Its always hard for me to do that and the effort of moving things provides the added incentive I need to down size. Since your planning to go to graduate school next year, you will likely be moving several times over the next few years. Ask yourself whether your stuff is worth moving all those times and if it isn't, toss it out. If your Mom is willing, leave sentimental stuff that you can't stand to throw away but don't actually need at her place until you have a "permanent" location.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
"Is it better to be on the ground floor or sandwiched between the upper and lower floors?"

I've lived under people and over people.

When under, there's the annoyance of having people make noise through your ceiling. If you live under a toddler or an aerobics enthusiast, this can suck.

When over, knowing that you are a considerate person, you will deal with trying not to make too much noise for the people below. It gets old.

Personally, I would HIGHLY prefer the bottom over a middle floor where I get both sets of annoyances.

(My apartment living has been in wood frame structures. I'm sure it's somewhat different in mid- or high-rise structures with steel and concrete construction.)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Foodwise, it will surprise you how many staples you're suddenly without: flour, baking powder, salt, noodles, meat, etc. If you're going to do a lot of your own cooking, maybe have your mom help you make a list of the basics. And other things like a bowl, a saucepan, a mixing spoon, silverware, etc. Plus stuff for elsewhere in the apartment, like toilet paper, spare bedsheets, and an iron + board. From experience, it's good to have all of these things yourself and not have to constantly bum them off your roommate.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

I'm in the middle, in a squeaky old house, and can hear the guy above me when he walks, and below when he watches TV. But we all have relatively the same sleep schedules, and we're all fairly considerate, so it's not a problem.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Ah, and spices are a pain to start from scratch. It took me a good year to get all the spices I needed.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
... flour, baking powder, salt, noodles, meat, etc. If you're going to do a lot of your own cooking ...

This definitely rings true, definitely did trips because I was missing salt, pepper, soy sauce, oyster sauce, red vinegar, ketchup, relish, mustard, HP sauce, hoisin sauce, red vinegar, or some damn thing. It's not the important things I tend to forget but the small things that you find out after the store closes and you're like ... ah, thats what I forgot.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thrift stores are a great place to pick up kitchen essentials for your first apartment. You should be able to get some basic pans, flatware, utensils, plates, bowls, cups and glasses at any local thrift shop for very little. Look for a good cast iron frying pan. Old ones are actually better than new ones because they are well conditioned.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The big day is here!

Thanks for all your advice, some of it has come in handy when making shopping lists and where to go to get things.

You probably won't see me around for a few days while I'm setting up shop and getting the internet working. See you all soon.

rivka
Member # 4859

Good luck and have fun! [Wink]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. I actually pay for moving boxes these days, because you CAN fit in a lot more stuff if the boxes are a uniform shape and size. Also, for important stuff I think they are more secure. I learned the hard way more than once that some of the boxes from the supermarket look sturdy but really aren't. sturdy at all.

I don;t pack my whole apartment in them, but I bought a huge "closet" box, complete with hanging bar, and I've used it for 3 moves so far. It was well worth the $12 I paid for it. [Big Grin]

Also, check furniture stores for free bubble wrap. All of their stuff gets shipped in it, and they just throw it away. You can get all the packing material you need for either free or the price of a tip. I have used that stuff for ll of my electronics for the past 4 moves, and never scratched a screen or broken a piece of electronics during a move.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.