FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Google backgrounds

Author Topic: New Google backgrounds
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
These are awesome. I went to google to search for something and I got so distracted by trying out all the new backgrounds and how cool they looked that I forgot what I went to search for.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
me too!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Too funny.. I was just showing off my new background to my wife!
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Google is doing this to stick it to Bing!. It looks great, though.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife looked over last night and said "Ooooh how do I get Google to look like that on my computer?"

I'm using the tropical theme.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
They seriously annoyed me this morning, when they turned them on and before it was impossible to turn them off. I was this >< close to abandoning Google as my startup page.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed the "change the background" like a few days ago and ignored it. Now I feel like it's tossing up suggestions just to get my attention.

I dislike this change. Am I getting old?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
cool now you can customize your google just like you can customize your myspace, unlike boring old facebook that forces you to use the standard format and

*deletes all backgrounds, takes back generic white*

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I was also in the "annoyed camp" this morning. I guess it's the Aspie in me, but I don't like when people change my stuff without consulting me - even when it's really their stuff! Of course, Pacman Google was fine with me, since it was a great time waster!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I checked out the google backgrounds the other day when it was someone-or-other's birthday and there was a special graphic. When I had the special background up, I couldn't see the neato graphic, so I turned it back to basic white. I like all the homage google makes to random events and didn't want to lose it for some silly wallpaper. I have wallpaper on my desktop and my cell phone and everywhere else I look. I don't need it on google too.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I fired off a complaint to Google immediately -- several times through fax, phone, email, and two snailmail (one registered) to several different contact divisions -- including a complaint about them not having a general complaint form or complaint department.
And I've never bothered to even ask for an exchange for an obviously defective product before, which I also pointed out to the recipients of my missives.

I boot up in blank, then use Google as my homepage precisely because it's clean, without the clutter and garbage of virtually all other commercial websites.

So I found the idea of being spammed with backgrounds to force me to choose a background to be highly disturbing. Especially when Google's link to its background pages informed me that I could also choose background music.
Yeah, just what I need next: Google spamming me with unwanted noise to force me to choose amongst its selection of other noises.

So along with my displeasure, I also informed Google that I had been VERY happy using their services since*before their searchengine was introduced to the public. And that I hoped to be able to use their services in the future.

* Yep, I had the connections. I was also downloading and uploading from home in 10seconds-or-less back when virtually every other home-user had to waste a minute-or-more to do the same thing. Heck I'd been following news of Brin&Page's activities since they first published "The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine".

[ June 11, 2010, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was nice and colorful.

I don't like that you can't see the doodle though.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I fired off a complaint to Google immediately -- several times through fax, phone, email, and two snailmail (one registered) to several different contact divisions -- including a complaint about them not having a general complaint form or complaint department.
google is serious business
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the Google home page and thought I was redirected to Bing.

I uploaded a solid black image as my background. Looks rather good, to be honest.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I had chosen a background and was trying to do a search and it kept not working -- it would just refresh the page every time I hit search. So I got rid of the background, and voila! Google search worked again. Anyone else experience this?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's bad enough making a new and widely unwanted feature opt-out instead of opt-in. But there's really no excuse for making it so that you couldn't opt out.

[ June 11, 2010, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.