FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Clouds, the Internet kind

Author Topic: Clouds, the Internet kind
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone please explain this cloud business? Honestly, I keep seeing references to it, but I'm obviously missing some key concept, because I can't make any sense of it at all.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
In most cases, it just means hosted services, available through a web interface and often a decent API, for free, a monthly fee without contract, or by usage.

What's interesting about it isn't that there's anything technologically revolutionary, but that the availability and ease of integration of the services makes them often not just a substitute for non-hosted services, but better.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? Some PR person deserves a promotion, then. But... why cloud? That makes it sound like it's various hosted servers connected together into some sort of gestalt, no?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The point is rather that you needn't have any idea where your stuff is hosted; it's all sort of somewhere in the blue skies. "Black box" would have been an equally good phrase, but has rather different connotations. Also, you can see a cloud from wherever you happen to be.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of network diagrams depict the internet as a cloud (in a non-metaphorical sense). Here's one picked at random: http://www.clinicplus.com.my/images/clinic%20network%20diagram.jpg .

The choice makes sense, too. That is, the exact details of how everything in the internet is connected is too fuzzy to be accurately depicted (and doesn't actually matter much) -- it really does exist as a sort of gestalt.

So, since the services being used exist out 'in the internet', they exist 'in the cloud'.

A lot of the hosted services do have a gestalt effect, though. That's part of what I'm referring to with the ease of integration -- for instance, I'm using a variety of services through apps on my iPhone that integrate with Dropbox, Facebook, and numerous other cloud services.

It is a nice PR term, but it also refers to a very real change in how people are consuming computing.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding was that The Cloud is another way of talking about The Internet. But specifically having to do with accessing and storing all sorts of content remotely as opposed to locally. So like instead of housing all your music locally, you access it remotely. Google docs (and most of google's services actually) and microsofts new online office, etc...Instead of storing all my finances on my computer, I use Mint and access it from whatever device I have available.

I don't particularly like "The Cloud" as a buzz word, but whatever.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.