FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey, Rabbit! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hey, Rabbit!
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you owe me twenty dollars.

Comment on the experiment from my point of view: I underestimated the value of being able to discuss religion. It turns out to be worth a bit more than $20 a month. I saw a lot of things posted during the month that I would really quite have liked to rip to shreds, and twenty dollars is not enough compensation.

If "a fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject", then I have presumably demonstrated that I can at least change the subject; which is worth something in itself. But having demonstrated it, I have no need to demonstrate it again; so for future reference, buying my silence on any subject for a month will cost at least $100.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
KOM:

quote:
I believe you. I underestimated the value of being able to discuss religion. It turns out to be worth a bit more than $20 a month. I saw a lot of things posted during the month that I really quite liked. I can change, which is worth something. To again buy my silence will cost at least €100.
FTFY. Welcome back to the world of freedom of expression. [Smile]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Fanatics can't be bribed? [Smile]

A comment on the experiment from my point of view, not that it was solicited or anything;) - apparently the price to buy you off from attempting to help people around here overcome the very dangerous and harmful folly of religion is really quite low.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say $20 a month is all that low, especially as an introductory rate.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
The mere fact that he'd accept money, 20 dollars or 100, to squelch views he is so passionate about?

I think KoM did it to be interesting. Which is why I think he espouses the views that he does and which is why he likes to "rip things to shreds."

You have a healthy ego, my friend. [Wink]

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
KOM, I sent you a message yesterday asking for your e-mail address so I can paypal you the money. Please respond.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Payment sent. Treated your wife to a romantic dinner at McDonalds.

It was well worth it to me to see how easily you can be bought off.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The mere fact that he'd accept money, 20 dollars or 100, to squelch views he is so passionate about?
For the record, I will gladly accept $20 to not discuss any topic of someone's choice for a month. It's not a violation of my principles to not have a conversation on a given topic. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, I think all this "bought off" talk is uncalled for. It was a month. (A rather pleasant and far too short month, but nonetheless.) On a single forum. He didn't sell his soul or his right to free speech or any other such nonsense.

And he's been quite gracious about the whole thing.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Indeed.
Armoth
Member # 4752

Gracious, yes. But it IS odd, because KoM, as BB pointed out, portrays himself to be on a mission to save people from stupidity. It was like, the altruistic side of him...

I mean, I'm actually glad KoM said that it was hard for him, and that he'd raise the price - bc apparently, that altruistic side of him is too strong to be bough off by a mere 20 dollars.

[Smile]

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM is on a mission to amuse himself however possible through these forums and its bizarre cavalcade of silly and superstitious people. He can portray this through any narrative he wants.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Yes. And that's what he has portrayed. That he is here to amuse himself.
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, has it been a month already? I haven't been on hatrack much lately, but still.

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
For the record, I will gladly accept $20 to not discuss any topic of someone's choice for a month. It's not a violation of my principles to not have a conversation on a given topic. [Smile]
I'll do it for $18. [Smile]
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:

I think KoM did it to be interesting. Which is why I think he espouses the views that he does and which is why he likes to "rip things to shreds."

That's rather uncharitable. I think he did it because *it* would be interesting. Also to get Rabbit to donate to his charity, which iirc was one she wouldn't normally support (is that right?). It's not so interesting to not see KoM doing anything. I for one didn't even notice it.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

Also to get Rabbit to donate to his charity, which iirc was one she wouldn't normally support (is that right?)
Not unless KoM has become a charitable cause. I paid him $20 not to bash religion or religious individuals on hatrack for a month. For my $20 dollars I (and the rest of hatrack) got a one month break from his anti-religious tirades and as an added bonus, I can rib him about how easily he could be bought. I found it well worth the price. Evidently, he did not.

You judge who won.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
I have to say, I think all this "bought off" talk is uncalled for. It was a month. (A rather pleasant and far too short month, but nonetheless.) On a single forum. He didn't sell his soul or his right to free speech or any other such nonsense.
*shrug* I wouldn't have made the point if KoM had not frequently in the past justified his often vicious and insulting rhetoric by claiming it was at least in part to do some good deed. Now, I've never actually believed that, so by claiming he's been bought off I'm really just playing along. I don't think he was bought off because I don't think he was ever much on in the first place.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I am kind of glad the month is over.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I sure am.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
The relief is palpable!

I'm not going to palpate it, though. Yuck.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

See, this is why I love hatrack. Literally everything is up for debate.

"2+2=4!"

"The #!$% it is! It's 10, and you're an uneducated fool! Oh, and here are my references."

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not 10, it's 100.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
4! = 24
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I have, as you might expect, an internally coherent narrative which does not paint me as a hypocrite. You can accept it or not, as you choose. It is that, by convincing a theist to deconvert, I am doing them and the world a favour; by taking money from a theist, I am doing the world a favour; and that a certainty of doing a favour of the second kind outweighs the rather slim possibility of doing a favour of the first kind in a month. (Assuming the sum isn't too small, of course.) Additionally, there's the possibility of doing my reputation here some good, and thereby becoming a more effective persuader, through demonstrating that yes, I can in fact be quiet.

As I noted, though, I underestimated the difficulty of keeping my mouth shut - what can I say, I'm from Bergen, we're noted for having the biggest mouths in Norway - and having gotten whatever reputational benefit there is to be had, I'd want more money for a hypothetical next time.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

I'll admit, in my book, your acceptance of the money has made you more interesting, and indeed, more likable. But I don't think you wre happy to take money from a theist because that somehow reduces their power, or their stupidity in the world. I don't think you do the world any favors by taking money away from a theist.

But yes, you were definitely interested in showing that you can be quiet, and rational, and in my book, you have definitely affirmed my perception of you as an elitist, but also, as level-headed.

King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
I don't think you do the world any favors by taking money away from a theist.
Well no, naturally you would not think so. But if it's ok with you, I'd like to be allowed to have a different opinion on the point. Thanks.
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:
Well no, naturally you would not think so. But if it's ok with you, I'd like to be allowed to have a different opinion on the point. Thanks.
That's fine. I would totally appreciate it if you would share the logic behind the opinion though.
rollainm
Member # 8318

Theists are actually crab people, which, as we all know, are hell-bent on world domination. Take their money, save the world.
Armoth
Member # 4752

Some of the most dangerous theists I know are actually quite poor.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Additionally, there's the possibility of doing my reputation here some good, and thereby becoming a more effective persuader, through demonstrating that yes, I can in fact be quiet.
Speaking for myself, the wager did nothing to improve your reputation-the conversation I had with you a few months ago, on the other hand, did.

I'm not sure if anyone around here doubts your ability to remain silent. I certainly never did, in fact I would've been quite surprised if you had lost this bet, not for the money's sake, but for the prestige. Now, if there were some way to wager $20 on whether or not you could go a month without being crass, hostile, insulting, or rude to or about a religious person...that would be a wager I'd be interested in. How such a thing would be judged, though, I can't imagine.

quote:
It is that, by convincing a theist to deconvert, I am doing them and the world a favour; by taking money from a theist, I am doing the world a favour...
The only part of this narrative that I, and I suspect others, have ever really doubted, is the part where it is to be believed that you honestly think your methods are likely to convert anyone around here. Or, I should say, former methods, because it seems to me you have become much less vitriolic and aggressive than you used to be.

Back in the day, frankly your posts always smacked of the choir-preacher to me. Logically consistent, interesting and thought provoking on purely technical grounds, but your tone hardly ever made me think, "This is someone trying to persuade me." Your tone consistently made me think, "This is someone who wants to sneer and tell people they're stupid." I could very easily be mistaken, but I suspect I am far from alone in thinking that-especially among the people who don't already share your outlook.

So anyway, depending on which KoM comes back from the wager, I'm glad the month is over too.

King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
quote:
quote:
That's fine. I would totally appreciate it if you would share the logic behind the opinion though.
Well, it's not very complicated. Money is an IOU; it is a claim to some amount of the production and services of (in the case of dollars) the US economy. In other words, money is power. A hundred dollars will let you do things which a medieval king could only dream of; some of those things are violent. Just for example: A gun small enough to conceal in a pocket, recoil small enough to be fired with one hand, with a magazine of eight bullets, and accurate out to say twenty meters? Amazing! Magical! We only think of these things as mundane because we are, frankly, spoilt brats. A rational population wouldn't need drugs, they would go around in a constant state of amazed awe at the stuff they can do. Only because our memory is so short do we fail to do so; or as it was once put, "I remember when I dreamed of flying by the use of magical potions; and I remember when I, reluctantly, accepted that I would never fly; and I remember that I flew." We take the last as the normal state, but it's not.

Now then: The power of money, like any other power, is dangerous if badly used; theists, being irrational madmen, are substantially more likely than atheists to misuse their power; therefore, taking money from them is a good thing. It's fair to say, certainly, that 20 dollars is not a great deal of money or power; I can't object to that. But every bit helps.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Now then: The power of money, like any other power, is dangerous if badly used; theists, being irrational madmen, are substantially more likely than atheists to misuse their power...
I can see why this would be an appealing line of thought for you, but I do wonder: is there any evidence of it that would persuade you if you didn't already believe it?
Armoth
Member # 4752

But I would argue that money does more to make a theist less religious than the logic of the most convincing atheist. Religious fervor and radicalism tend to decline as a religious community becomes more wealthy.

I'd also argue that what makes theists powerful and dangerous is not economic power, but the power of ideas, superstition, emotion, establishment, community etc.

Is it possible that you have set yourself behind by not discussing your atheist views, and by making Rabbit a bit poorer, and therefore, closer to God?

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I rest my case.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

KoM, I gave you a list of charities that I support. How do you think that I would use my money or power differently or better if I were not a theist?

If you don't recall the list, I will reproduce it.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
So, am I supposed to be reading the title of this thread as though said by Lou Costello?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
Now then: The power of money, like any other power, is dangerous if badly used; theists, being irrational madmen, are substantially more likely than atheists to misuse their power...
I can see why this would be an appealing line of thought for you, but I do wonder: is there any evidence of it that would persuade you if you didn't already believe it?
Well, the statement has two parts: One, irrational madmen use power badly; two, theists are irratonal madmen. The first part seems almost tautologous, no? So the question is, what evidence would show that theists are irrational and mad? Well, just for one thing, they believe in things they haven't got evidence for. And... done.

quote:
KoM, I gave you a list of charities that I support. How do you think that I would use my money or power differently or better if I were not a theist?
Just for one thing, you would give no money to the Catholic Church.

quote:
But I would argue that money does more to make a theist less religious than the logic of the most convincing atheist. Religious fervor and radicalism tend to decline as a religious community becomes more wealthy.
So logically then, I ought to take money from above-average-wealth American theists, who while nuts aren't virulent about it, and give it to the poor al-Qaeda fundies, in the hope that it'll make them less religious!

The effect you describe exists, but only on generational timescales. Making Afghanistan wealthy might reduce its religiosity, but making any particular person poor does not increase it. Besides, presumably I decreased my own religiosity, small as it might be, proportionally, so there's no net loss.

quote:
I'd also argue that what makes theists powerful and dangerous is not economic power, but the power of ideas, superstition, emotion, establishment, community etc.
Power can be used for military purposes, for consumption, or for investment. The ideas and so on causes theists to make different tradeoffs; they put a lot of their scarce resources into military uses. Consider a nation with GNP 100 versus one with 50; if the former uses 10% of its resources on its army, the latter can still match it militarily by putting 20% to the army. This does not change the fact that reducing their GNP to 49 would reduce their total power; they might maintain the same military power by re-allocating, but they would have to make the choice.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
quote:
Just for one thing, you would give no money to the Catholic Church.

The money I give to the Catholic Church is specifically for Catholic Relief Services and has been targeted for specific causes - Haiti, Indonesia. How, aside from your particular bias, would it have been better used? CRS has a pretty good record.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So the question is, what evidence would show that theists are irrational and mad? Well, just for one thing, they believe in things they haven't got evidence for. And... done.
It could be rational to believe this as a general rule of thumb when deciding whether to hand out money to random theists that you don't know. (And even then, only really works when you are choosing to give or take money from a person in a blind test where the only fact you know is whether they are superstitious or not).

It falls apart pretty terribly when you know the theist in question. I am hard pressed to believe there was the slightest chance that Rabbit's $20 was going to go anywhere that would have been more wild and crazy than the average atheist's $20.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Catholic Relief Services has one of the best track records in disaster relief (among other things), anywhere. Anyone who cares about disaster relief should at least strongly consider giving money to CRS, theist or atheist (or apatheist, as my position is).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
So, am I supposed to be reading the title of this thread as though said by Lou Costello?

You may as well. I am!
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone point me to the thread where this deal was made?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:

But yes, you were definitely interested in showing that you can be quiet, and rational, and in my book, you have definitely affirmed my perception of you as an elitist, but also, as level-headed.

Oh noooo.... not an ELITIST!!!!

Bwahh....

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
The money I give to the Catholic Church is specifically for Catholic Relief Services and has been targeted for specific causes - Haiti, Indonesia. How, aside from your particular bias, would it have been better used? CRS has a pretty good record.

:raises hand: It would be better used by an organization that doesn't own billions upon billions of dollars in property and fine art and luxurious accommodations and vehicles, not to mention mountains of obligation free cash, and doesn't hide valuable historical archives from the public...etc.

Now, what *that* organization is, I don't know. I never had enough money to give to charity. I'm not much of a believer in NGOs or anything- I tend to think charity is an inefficient and corruption-vulnerable sector of the economy, and I would rather give my money to a government that knew what to do with it... also unrealistic, I understand.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro: that's an argument to give money to CRS. CRS (you do realize that it isn't the same as the Catholic Church?) has a stellar track record for effective use of funds. Read a little bit about it sometime. What's more, all administrative costs of CRS are funded by the Catholic Church, so every bit of money you donate to CRS means less money available to the Catholic Church for other purposes, if you happen to dislike those.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn, it was this one.

Cha!

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, just based on the title I can see why I wasn't reading the thread. It would have been interesting to have known that this was the case. I guess I failed to notice that there was any difference.

Some time ago I was asked to hold money that was being collected in a similar (but far less likely) agreement. The theist had promised to raise money to send the atheist's children to college provided the atheist pretended to believe in God and took his children to church for the duration of their childhood.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

KoM,

quote:
Well, the statement has two parts: One, irrational madmen use power badly; two, theists are irratonal madmen. The first part seems almost tautologous, no? So the question is, what evidence would show that theists are irrational and mad? Well, just for one thing, they believe in things they haven't got evidence for. And... done.
Well, no, the first statement isn't a given. It really depends on the type of irrational madness (and isn't that redundant?), doesn't it? That's a serious objection, btw, not just a rhetorical one. If one's 'madness' leads the person to support worthy causes, such as CRS, in what way can it be said to have been badly done?

As for the second...well, no, not even remotely done. But that's an argument that's been gone over and over, so it will just have to suffice to say that believing something that cannot be proven to you does not, in and of itself, make one mad. As appealing to your vanity as that might be.

-------

quote:

It falls apart pretty terribly when you know the theist in question. I am hard pressed to believe there was the slightest chance that Rabbit's $20 was going to go anywhere that would have been more wild and crazy than the average atheist's $20.

Blanket generalizations usually have that sort of pitfall.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
No need to speculate, just ask. If I hadn't spent the $20 buying KoM silence for month, I would not have donated the money to a religious cause. There are two likely possibilities.

1. I would have blown the $20 on a few hours of entertainment. Dinner or a movie most likely, but I might also have bought some really good chocolate. I found this sufficiently amusing to be the better value.

2. It would have gone into my retirement savings. But right now I'm way ahead on my savings goals so if this had happened it would likely have ended up as part of my estate when I died. Since I have no descendants on which to bequeath it, I have willed my estate to a scholarship fund for underprivileged children and a variety of environmental conservation groups. You'll have to ask KoM to be certain, but I don't imagine him taking pleasure in having deprived these causes of my $20 + interest in the hopefully far distant future.

I suppose there is the possibility that because of this purchase, my husband and I will completely deplete all of our savings before we die and spend our final days in abject poverty, at which point I may regret my choice but probably not nearly as much as I will regret many of my other financial decisions (like the usb charger that runs on a bicycle dynamo which I'm seriously considering right now). Once again, you'll have to ask KoM whether or not he considers that (hopefully unlikely outcome) a net plus for the Universe or not.

[ June 23, 2010, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.