FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pirate puppets misplace $10K in NYC

Author Topic: Pirate puppets misplace $10K in NYC
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
...and you can help them find it. If you do, you keep it.

http://welostourgold.com/

Starting August 1st, they will start giving clues to find a chest full of 10,000 dollar coins (yes, coins ... Total weight is over 175 pounds) that has been buried somewhere in the New York City area (any one of the five boroughs; all they have said is that it's *not* in Central Park).

Even if you're not in the area, you might be interested in following these. Because, after all, they're pirates... and include one ninja... and they're puppets... and they're comical as hell.

And, to validate this, here's an "interview" in Forbes Magazine, which is quite an entertaining read.

I will arguably be playing along, and am trying to get people on the ground in NYC. Anyone else in the NYC area?

*NOTE* At the time of writing this, the site is currently down. You can get more details about it at unFiction if you like.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I am struck by how awesome and terrible an idea this is. (Awakens to find NYC is filled with potholes).
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
August
Member # 12307

- posted      Profile for August   Email August         Edit/Delete Post 
*Maniacal laugh*
Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
On the plus side, it will provide jobs for hole fillers!

This idea terrifies me because you know if you find the location other people will probably find it or at least notice you've found it and come running. Things could get very ugly.

[ June 22, 2010, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
(Awakens to find NYC is filled with potholes)

Yeah, that joke's too easy. [Razz]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
So... it's not a promotion? Who's fronting the cash? I suppose if I won the lottery, setting up a random treasure hunt might be an incredibly awesome use of $10,000.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
So... it's not a promotion? Who's fronting the cash? I suppose if I won the lottery, setting up a random treasure hunt might be an incredibly awesome use of $10,000.

We have no idea. They essentially say on their site it's not an advertisement, so we don't know where it's coming from.

I have a theory that it might be a self-advertisement for some sort of web serial or show of the puppets themselves. $10K is arguably less than what one would spent on online advertising, promoting such a cast of characters to get a bigger content deal in the future, and the leg work needed to get exposure in the eyes of the appropriate producers.

And you're right; I'll keep that idea in mind when I win the lottery. [Big Grin]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, $10K is a pittance.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...I live across the street from Prospect Park and a hardware store.

Maybe this was started by a new metal detector company.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
This kind of reminds me of that children's book that was published awhile back that included clues to a nation wide treasure hunt that included real, extremely valuable jeweled figurines that were worth a lot of money.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they shouldn't have made it one treasure chest with $10,000?

maybe 10 with $1,000 each. would More people would get involved? it might last longer, and be more exciting.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.