FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Building a computer (Thanks everyone!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Building a computer (Thanks everyone!)
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
A few build tips:

- Make sure that you get a cheap grounding strap and ground yourself before touching components. If you don't understand what I'm saying, check here:
http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/lookup+1/EEE1616013609A4BCA256C8A00341774

- Don't use a magnetic screwdriver. If you have deep screws, use a bit of wax. If you melt it first, you can usually get it on good.

- Pay attention to your cables. Tie them right. If you have to get back into the case, you'll be glad you did. I just buy cheap zipties, but the fancier velcro ones are nice too.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Goodish tower? It's compatible with the motherboard, has enough slots of the rights size, and comes with three 120 mm fans.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

Ultimately it depends on whether you like it. This case is ten dollars cheaper and has better reviews:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

But sometimes color is more important. Or looks. This one is twenty dollars cheaper (also with better reviews):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154102

I m disturbed that the Enermax tower's reviews center around "4" rather than "5", and that there aren't many reviews. HI tend to select hardware that has 30+ reviews. Sometimes a serious design flaw won't be found when there's only a handfull of reviews (like poorly designed ports, fasteners, cooling, etc).

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

Wow, there's a good video card deal from Sellout Woot today:
http://www.geeks.com/woot/

NM. It's sold out already. But they do have it refurbed for $129:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BFGSGTX260MC896OCDE-R&cat=VCD

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm tempted by this combo deal. Looks like a pretty amazing case and power supply. But, that is more than I wanted to spend, regardless if with all the discounts its like $140 off. I figure I can probably get a $30 case, put a $10 fan or two in it, then get a $60 power supply and save $70.

... but it is a really good deal...

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the PSU I just ordered for my new gaming PC/hackintosh. I read a wide variety of reviews and it was a pretty good balance between passing the stress tests and being efficient.

I don't know about the case. I ordered a Lian-Li case myself, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

Or get a $30 power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16817170017

Really, case and power supply shouldn't be more than $60 or $70. If you really want to add a hundred bucks, upgrade the CPU to an i7.

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Alright, well, Herblay, I went with some of your advice and didn't go with some of it. I went with the advice that recommended good reviews, not as much with the advice that recommended cheap power supply. I read some horror stories of people skimping on the power supply and it messing up other parts or dying quickly. The one you linked there has some pretty bad reviews.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Alright, so I've ordered parts. I was tired of going back and forth so I just did it. :-) And my nephew is coming up this weekend so assuming the parts get here in time, it will be neat to assemble it with him.

Drumroll please...

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 3.2GHz
RAM: 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1600 (4GB total)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Motherboard: MSI 790GX
Hard Drive: Seagate 500GB
Optical Drive: Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Drive
Power Supply: XFX 650W
Case: Lian Li PC-K62

Adding a bit for shipping costs (about $10 total I think) and taking away $60 worth of mail in rebates, this comes out to a hair above $700. It's a bit pricier than I had intended, considering I still need an OS and monitor, but it also is a much better machine than I intended.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'll keep you updated on receiving the parts and assembly.

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a beaut. [Smile]

(It's really difficult not to spend more than you intended, isn't it? [Razz] )

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Yeeeaah it is. Especially on Newegg, where the combo's are so scintillating.

Luckily my wife has been very supportive. Though I think she was getting a little tired of me debating the merits of .2GHz of processing speed or DirectX11 vs DirectX10. She seemed to like the idea of a blu-ray player though, so I can blame her for about $50 worth of the damage. [Smile] .

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

As far as monitors go, I'm thinking I'll probably get a 19" or 20" (mostly for cost purposes) and also use my 32 inch LCD 720p TV some as well. Any recommendations or things I should be aware of?

Right now I'm liking the look of this one. I wasn't looking for over 20" since that was going to bump it out of my price range, but I was hoping for an HDMI port, which this has. It also has amazing reviews.

[ July 21, 2010, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Dr Strangelove ]

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Ooo, here's another question. Do I have to get a full version of Windows 7 or can I get the student "Upgrade" version? I'm getting conflicting reports elsewhere. Anyone have any experience?
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
the only advice i would give about your TV. Computer monitors can often run a refresh rate much higher than TV's. I was messing around with my display settings once and I ended up changing the computer to run faster than my tv could refresh. Thus i was given a blue screen. Normally it would revert back to normal after a few seconds if you dont select to apply. I apparently hit enter or something and it was stuck that way for quite a while.

I don't know if your tv would suffer the same fate mine did though.

Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucous
Member # 12331

- posted      Profile for Mucous           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're a student, check if your school has MSDN-AA. For example, mine has both the full version of Vista and Windows 7 for download.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSDN_Academic_Alliance

Failing that, the upgrade path for Windows 7 is here (effectively, looks like pretty much just upgrading from Vista is allowed):
(bah, can't link due to bracket, google for "Windows 7 student upgrade path" and his the first link)

Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I checked MSDN-AA and only a few departments are listed, and mine is not one of them.

Here people seem to indicate that while the upgrade is only supposed to work as an upgrade, in can in fact work as a clean install.

Herblay
Member # 11834

http://news.cnet.com/windows-7-upgrade-dos-and-don-ts

If you have a valid copy of Windows XP to upgrade from, then sure. Otherwise, it's illegal. And if you were going to go illegal, it'd be cheaper just to appropriate it in other ways.

So, you CAN use an update disk to install, but there's no good reason to.

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Well say I have a copy of XP that I'm running using Parallels on my Mac... that article says that boxed copies of windows XP can be transferred to different machines. So can I transfer that copy of XP to my new computer and then upgrade it?
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a good machine. Best of luck with assembly.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Thanks [Smile] . The parts have been shipped and I'm going out to get my anti-static wrist band thing tonight.
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
Thanks [Smile] . The parts have been shipped and I'm going out to get my anti-static wrist band thing tonight.

Hmmm didnt know that they sold those at the Krew....
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that, in a lifetime of computer work, I have never once owned or needed an anti-static wristband. *laugh*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

quote:
Originally posted by Ecthalion:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:

Hmmm didnt know that they sold those at the Krew....
Ah, see, me and Jamie were all like "Oh, we need to go because we're meeting somebody at 9" and where were you at 9? Posting on Hatrack. Mmmmhm. I got it at Bestbuy whilst getting Empire: Total War, thank you very much. [Razz]
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
- Make sure that you get a cheap grounding strap and ground yourself before touching components. If you don't understand what I'm saying, check here:

I've fallen out of using those. I touch the metal of the computer case to ground myself, then pick up whatever I need...

quote:

- Don't use a magnetic screwdriver. If you have deep screws, use a bit of wax. If you melt it first, you can usually get it on good.

I use a magnetic screwdriver all the time around computers. It's only weakly magnetized; it can barely pick up screws. I do keep hard drives away from my large neodymium magnets, though. Keep things in perspective.

quote:

- Pay attention to your cables. Tie them right. If you have to get back into the case, you'll be glad you did. I just buy cheap zipties, but the fancier velcro ones are nice too.

Meh, just get the thing working first. You can always go back and organize the cables to your obsessive-compulsive standard later. I usually organize cables just to keep them out of the fans and help with airflow in the case. (My last build, and current home CPU, is a flamethrower...)
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I have to admit that, in a lifetime of computer work, I have never once owned or needed an anti-static wristband. *laugh*

Tom:

I am an engineer in defense electronics. I have to tell you: believe it or not, a lot of people believe that they aren't doing component damage -- but they are.

There are two types of electronic damage that can be done to components: catastrophic damage and latent defects.

If you are not electrically grounded, and the case is not electrically grounded, your clothes alone can generate well in excess of 10,000 V (you can barely feel a static shock around 50,000 V). These shocks can cause latent damage -- showing itself in premature component failure after a given number of hours of operation.

A good example is the power supply analogy. Power supply cables are the most handled by technicians. If you don't ground yourself, you induce electric charges that can damage the chip that regulates the voltage. If it's on, then the chip has the ground that it needs. If it isn't, and it isn't grounded, the chip can easily be damaged by having several thousand volts applied to its terminals. The factory workers have been very careful not to damage the components, wearing ESD smocks and shoes. It's the careless computer builder that normally causes the defects (OEM models, on the other hand, normally fail due to EXTREMELY cheap parts).

Sorry. I felt like ranting.

Herblay
Member # 11834

quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:

quote:

Meh, just get the thing working first. You can always go back and organize the cables to your obsessive-compulsive standard later. I usually organize cables just to keep them out of the fans and help with airflow in the case. (My last build, and current home CPU, is a flamethrower...)
Would you take the same attitudes installing a flat panel in your home? If you're going to do it, do it right. Sure, you can just hang the plat panel on the wall -- but there's a good chance you'll regret it (especially when you want to sell your system for an upgrade).
Sterling
Member # 8096

I only just got a grounding strap. It's certainly arguable that it isn't strictly necessary, but as someone whose first experience with trying to install computer hardware involved accidentally frying the mouse control board (hey, I was twelve at the time), it can be nice to have that tiny extra bit of insurance.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Dr Strangelove, did you know you can get an upgrade to Windows 7 Professional for $29.99 if you're a student?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Yeah, Jon Boy, but Windows is pretty adamant about not using an upgrade on a hard drive where there has never been a Windows OS. It's possible, but not legal. It is very tempting to just do it, but occasionally I do have a conscious, even where Microsoft is concerned.

ETA: Though as I said, I do have a copy of XP running on Parallels on my Mac, and someone said that out of box copies of XP can be transferred to different computers, so then the question is can I transfer my copy of XP from Parallels to my new machine and then upgrade?

Tstorm
Member # 1871

quote:
Originally posted by Herblay:
quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:

quote:

Would you take the same attitudes installing a flat panel in your home? If you're going to do it, do it right. Sure, you can just hang the plat panel on the wall -- but there's a good chance you'll regret it (especially when you want to sell your system for an upgrade).
Flat panels are not computers. I'm not assembling a flat panel from parts, which requires testing it before installing it in it's home. Thus, I wouldn't do it the same way, but not for the reasons you're asserting.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I'm gonna play it safe and go with Herblay's advice as far as the actual build goes. I'm definitely one of those "Better safe than sorry" people.

In other news, my parts were shipped last night at 7:20 PM from New Jersey! I figure there's a chance I'll get them by Saturday. [Smile]

Tstorm
Member # 1871

Knock yourself out. It's your computer, after all. [Smile]
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

So I may or may not be compulsively hitting refresh on the order tracking...

I was wondering, if/when I want to put some more memory in, does it have to be the exact same as in brand and everything, or is DDR3 1600 all that need to be the same?

Sterling
Member # 8096

I think as long as the DIMMs are all the same size (memory capacity, that is) and speed, you should be all right. Just be sure to check the motherboard configuration for where it wants things to go- some are a bit snarky about the order things go in.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I missed the delivery yesterday, but I'll be here this afternoon for it. So hopefully tonight I will be playing Empire: Total War on my new computer! Woot! I'll update again once I've completed the build.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Umm... help? I assembled everything, got all excited, and it turned on! Yay! But... my monitor is saying that nothing is connected. I've tried running HDMI and VGA from the motherboard and HDMI from the graphics card, but no luck.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I am at a loss. I've tried everything I can think of. I even tried hooking it up to my TV. Still nothing. So I have to assume the fault is with the computer, not the monitor. Am I supposed to install anything before the monitor will work? I was under the impression that BIOS was just supposed to pop up. I've got nothing. I mean, it says its not even detecting the video signal.

GAH!

[ July 28, 2010, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Dr Strangelove ]

Tstorm
Member # 1871

The computer is powering on? (Power light on the case is on, the fans are spinning?)

If that's the case, then check the big three things that can cause an error before the BIOS beeps:

1. Video card seated in its slot properly?
2. Memory chips seated in their slots properly?
3. CPU seated, and the CPU heatsink fan is hooked up properly?

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

CPU appears to be seated properly and the fan is working, so I'm assuming its ok.

I'll recheck the memory chips, but they clicked and everything when I installed them.

The video card is lit up and has its fan running as well. Should I take it out and put it back in again?

Tstorm
Member # 1871

Hmmm...Yeah, I would reseat it (take it out and put it back in).

Does this motherboard have on-board video connectors, too?

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

You mean like a the VGA port in the back? Yeah, there's a VGA, DVI, and HDMI. I don't have a DVI cable but I've tired the VGA and HDMI.
Herblay
Member # 11834

Try using the onboard video in the motherboard. Often, you'll have to use it first until you install the software for the new video card.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Yeah, I just tried that, still didn't work. At least I think I tried it. I assume all I have to do for onboard video is take the graphics card out and boot the computer up.

Would it be better to be trying this stuff out using HDMI or VGA or does it not matter?

About the RAM: There are two blue slots and two black slots. I put both sticks RAM into the blue slots. Was that wrong?

Also, on the graphics card note, the power cord from the power supply to the graphics card has a few different connections. Is there a specific one I should be using? Again, the graphics card is powering on so I doubt this is the issue, but... yeah.

Tstorm
Member # 1871

Start with the VGA connector that's on the motherboard. (Not the one on the video card.) Plug your monitor into that connector.

If you're still not getting any video, try using the VGA connector on the video card.

If you're still not getting video, remove the video card and use the motherboard connector.

RAM - that sounds correct for a dual-channel memory setup.

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

This may sound silly, but does the processor need a power cord? I notice on my motherboard that there is a four pin connector that the manual says is supposed to provide power to the CPU. As far as I could tell, there was no power cord coming from the CPU other than the one for the fan. Did I miss something colossal?
Tstorm
Member # 1871

No, I don't think so. You did plug the CPU fan into the connector on the motherboard that was labelled 'CPU FAN' or just 'CPU', right? It's usually labelled with fine white print on the board.

There's a special controller for fan speed on that one, I think, so it may not be interchangeable with other fan connectors (despite the fact that they look identical).

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Yeah, I plugged the CPU fan into the one marked CPU Fan. *sigh*. Why can't thing ever be easy? Is it possible there's something I should do with the monitor?
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
The 4-pin connector should look like this
http://www.hls-systems.com/images/HLS-P4-D865PERL/DSCN4983.JPG
It should be inter-changeable with the connector on your video-card

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

The CPU power header on the motherboard connects to a cable from the power supply.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

The connector on my video card? The connector on my video card is a 6 pin and the cord that came with it goes out to a four pin, but not like the one in your picture. It's actually just a three pin. Then put that in to my power supply. I can't find pictures but... yeah.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

As for your video problem, I'd guess it's not your monitor. Make sure your video card is properly seated in the slot and connected to the power supply, and check your BIOS settings to make sure the video is going to the card rather than the integrated graphics.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.