FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » ear clogs

Author Topic: ear clogs
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
So, until today my ears had gotten pretty clogged up.

In fact, my right ear was so badly clogged I could barely hear out of it. My left was less so, but still clogged. I felt miserable.

But, I went to the doctor for something unrelated, and had them clean my ears anyway, at least to show me how to do it best. There was a LOT of wax in there. They flushed it out with water. That was... unpleasant. But worth it.

And now... I mean, dang. Even the clacking of my keyboard is loud now. Everything's so darn loud...

anyway, anyone else have experiences with earwax clogs?

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about "clogged" but my doctor pulled out a chunk the size of a Skittle once. I don't know how he got it through the ear canal.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I clean my ears a lot, more than would normaly be good.

I use a hydrogen peroxide solution and q-tips, and am very, very careful.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this problem for years.

I use pretty regularly (maybe once every 1 or 2 months) a TopCare Ear Wax Remover. It's a solution of carbamide peroxide, and comes with one of those blue baby snot bulbs (you use it to squirt water into your ear). It works quite well, once you figure out how to aim.

Qtips could work, but for me they just jam things in tighter.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
don't use any sort of solution that involves fire.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used a solution and the bulb thing like the White Whale has used. I don't know how effective it is but it at least enables me to hear out of my ears.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, ear candles are bunk, and dangerous.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
I've used a solution and the bulb thing like the White Whale has used. I don't know how effective it is but it at least enables me to hear out of my ears.

I just had one of those bizarre moments where I read that as "enables me to hear out of my eyes." [Eek!]
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: ear candles. Think for a moment, the thing is hollow and liquid wax tends to flow downhill. Molten wax on the eardrum=bad for anyone who was considering this. Carbamide peroxide is generally your best bet, but keep in mind it may take a few treatments to get the bulk of the wax. If it's really jammed in there, the doc is your best bet. In ear situations the only time q-tips are good is for *gently* cleaning the outer part of the canal, if you are too vigorous with them they'll just jam the stuff in worse. (not that anyone was looking for advice I suppose)
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
A couple months ago my doctor decided he had to get rid of a trivial amount of earwax, and in the rinsing procedure that followed, he only managed to lodge the earwax further back in my ear so that it would be impossible to remove. For the rest of the week, I was unable to hear out of my left ear. If I covered my right ear, I was completely deaf (I had a modest amount of wax in the right ear too, but it wasn't as bad) I had to turn my right ear toward anything if I wanted to hear it. It was very disconcerting. It took more tries than I care to remember to finally dislodge it all.

Not fun.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Note on peroxide ear canal cleaning solutions: use as directed.

I tried using multiple applications in a row, instead of waiting a day or a week or whatever the package recommended. I ended up with my ears feeling inflamed and sore. They were better after I slept, but it was very unpleasant for a while.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... that was one worry I had, so I waited, as agonizing as it was, for the doctor to do it (while I was there for some other thing I needed) so that I could witness it done properly myself.

It was unpleasant, but it worked. I want the bottle he had.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
I read this topic as being about an odd type of shoe.

Now I know better.

I too have struggled with these, and have been disconcerted. But, I'm glad that I know about these wonderful solutions. Hooray!

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.