FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What if you had to use your real name on a forum? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What if you had to use your real name on a forum?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I once Googled my name and discovered I had won an award I didn't know about. That was pleasant.

But there's a neurologist out there with my name and it's mostly her things that come up.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The Web never forgets, and the GlobalVillage never forgives.

"When Netflix, for example, released 100 million purportedly anonymous records revealing how almost 500,000 users had rated movies from 1999 to 2005, researchers were able to identify people in the database by name with a high degree of accuracy if they knew even only a little bit about their movie-watching preferences, obtained from public data posted on other ratings sites."

There are less than 8billion people on Earth, which means it takes only 33 pieces of information to separate an individual out of the crowd. I doubt that there are many WWWusers who have posted fewer than 33 tidbits per pseudonym, so even an individual's multiple pen-names can be easily linked.
Heck, word usage patterns alone can be used to trace authorship.

"Alessandro Acquisti, a scholar at Carnegie Mellon University, studies the behavioral economics of privacy — that is, the conscious and unconscious mental trade-offs we make in deciding whether to reveal or conceal information, balancing the benefits of sharing with the dangers of disclosure. He is conducting experiments about the decay time and the relative weight of good and bad information — in other words, whether people discount positive information about you more quickly and heavily than they discount negative information about you. His research group’s preliminary results suggest that if rumors spread about something good you did 10 years ago, like winning a prize, they will be discounted; but if rumors spread about something bad that you did 10 years ago, like driving drunk, that information has staying power. Research in behavioral psychology confirms that people pay more attention to bad rather than good information..."

More bothersome is the knowlege that even bad lies can overwhelm good information.

"Facts don’t necessarily have the power to change our minds. In fact, quite the opposite. In a series of studies in 2005 and 2006, researchers at the University of Michigan found that when misinformed people, particularly political partisans, were exposed to corrected facts in news stories, they rarely changed their minds. In fact, they often became even more strongly set in their beliefs. Facts, they found, were not curing misinformation. Like an underpowered antibiotic, facts could actually make misinformation even stronger."

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my real name. I stopped using Satan a while back, heh. I still have a soft spot for Tezcatlipoca, though. That was a nice sobriquet.
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.