FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Personal Trainer

Author Topic: Personal Trainer
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I had my first session w/ a personal trainer this morning. It's not even 2 hours later and OUCH! But it's a good ouch; I feel like this is a good step for me and I'll be pleased with the results.

I'm female, in my 40s and a good 30 pounds overweight. That's not why I signed up; weight loss is not my major motivation. My major motivation is increasing aches and pains and issues with my back and knee as I get older. I had a frozen shoulder (google it if you don't know what it means and you're curious) earlier this year and went through physical therapy for that. I've been getting back to the gym for about the last 6 weeks after several months of little to no physical exercise (aside from the PT), and I've noticed how much more energy I have when I go do the resistance training.

Anyway, I believe that some core work will really help me with my back issues, plus I want to start working with free weights. I know I don't have the confidence to do either on my own, because I don't know how to judge if I'm using proper form. I just watched some of the trainers at the low-budget gym I belong to and saw this one woman whose approach looked like it would work for me and I talked to her last week. She seemed to understand and agree with what I want, and after 1 session with her I feel like it's a good fit.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to afford to keep it up, but I hope I can. Anyone else want to share their workout stories? Anything I should know about/ be looking for in working with a trainer?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love having a trainer, and I do it whenever I have money for it. I lucked out and my first trainer was fantastic - a former body builder, very patient, never judgey but never let me slide. He was wonderful. The second was not good - he didn't push me, didn't respect me, and was kind of depressed. NOTHING worse than a depressed trainer who talks about it to his clients.

But I just love doing it. I have lost weight during, with the first trainer, but I have had trainer just to feel better and get firmer and improve health, and that was happy, too.

So, congratulations! I wish I had money for one right now, but maybe next spring. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, katharina. I really CAN'T afford it right now, and unfortunately I think I'm going to have to cancel after this month. But it was one of those things I just felt I had to try now. Like you, I'll probably be back to it once I'm in a better place financially.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I workout in a small-group "fit camp" class every weekday morning, which I absolutely love. It's less expensive than having a personal trainer, but the instructor is always there to correct your form or give you a more difficult set of exercises if needed.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.