FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oil spill, what oil spill?

Author Topic: Oil spill, what oil spill?
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone see a a new picture of the oil spill? I keep seeing the same old pelican on every station. After 80 days, you'd think there would be new footage. I keep "hearing" the news,....but the same old pics from two months ago. If a tree falls in the woods.......... a complaining governor's words fall on deaf ears.

Since I'm so much in the dark, I'm glad the Obama administration has been in control since "day one"

http://www.breitbart.tv/from-day-one-obama-team-uses-oil-spill-catch-phrase-16-times-on-sunday-shows/

Lack of pictures isn't surprising, considering we have a president that only give a press conference once per year.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/dennis-byrne-barbershop/2010/05/obama-touts-freedom-of-press-refuses-to-answer-press-questions.html

And this.... http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_0_5100.html

Most people can't see the connection between my rambling links. Hey, what's up with the Lindsay Lohan trial?

Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug* In capitalist America, companies own government.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard anybody say that press access to the oil spill area has been good. Who are you arguing against?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Obama. Duh.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are looking for new photos, try Nola.com. As the oil spreads there aren't enough coast guard to keep away all of the media. It just spread into Lake Pontchartrain and so it's nonstop coverage down here.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
:::::yawn::::: (about the rant in the OP, and who wrote it, not about the oil spill)

[ July 10, 2010, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
There's non-stop coverage of a spill without photographic evidence.

Either:

Press isn't allowed to take photos and they are reporting the truth.

or

Press is exaggerating the impact of the spill by showing the same oil covered pelican...over and over.

Which of the above is going on?

Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to make a comment here, which is the fact that it does not deductively follow from your not seeing new photos from the oil spill that the spill is not as bad it is ( showing the same photo ) or that they are not allowed to take photos. I could come up with a dozen scenarios that would fit the bill here.

I would also like to say that I hate moral perfectionsts. That is, I cannot hold belief A unless I practice A to perfection. That is if on one occasion where I could have practiced A i did not then I cannot purport to hold that belief, which is all rather silly when you think about it.

That and I have consistenly seen new pictures of the spill, and I am in Europe right now. Go figure. I guess they have really good photo shop artists.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:
Either:

Press isn't allowed to take photos and they are reporting the truth.

or

Press is exaggerating the impact of the spill by showing the same oil covered pelican...over and over.

Which of the above is going on?

Kind of a false dichotomy.
For example, it is probably the case that
a) the press isn't allowed to take photos in many areas
b) the press is not telling the truth and is underplaying the extent of the spill, in part due to administration/BP efforts to control coverage and downplay the spill
c) The press sucks at managing stock photos and overplays the pelican angle

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
d) American journalists figure "If you've seen one pelican, you've seen them all."
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, hey, if far right conservative loons continue thinking this way, maybe it won't be long until we get another Rush Limbaugh 'oil spill is natural' fun.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm being sarcastic but still pretty on point...
The oil spill has gone on too long and the press needs to keep the news fresh becasue we can't follow a story that just keeps slowly dragging on. They have to move onto (or rather back to) Lohan, Lebron and Polanski. I mean slow moving oil spreading slowly but surely is just.... slow.
Where's the excitement and the drama? A little sheen on the water and some dirty brown globs of goo doesn't make for good, exciting, stay tuned at 11 or die news

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
More Pictures from May and June

They do include *gasp* the infamous pelicans *gasp* but also thousands *gasp* of other animals *gasp* *gasp*

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Mighty oil eating microbes
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
*shrug* In capitalist America, companies own government.

A few years ago I would have responded with "In Soviet Russia government owns companies!"

Except now the statement would seem strangely ironic.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I still love one of responses to oil from the spill being reported in Galveston- it isn't like anyone can really tell the difference on the beach. Galveston isn't none for being the prettiest of beach.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps thousands of square miles of slightly murky sea-water is not seen as striking fair for the 6 o'clock news. Of course, when you're Mal, and your standard of proof has become: "If I know about it," then there's pretty much no way to respond.

Mal's standard of proof is sort of like "better a Capella." Somebody name a song, and I'll tell you if it's better a Capella.

Red Red Wine? Way better a Capella.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.