FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Muslims cut out the middleman

Author Topic: Muslims cut out the middleman
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
...by teaching their parrots to recite the Koran. A most commendable enterprise, now if only they'd draw the obvious lesson.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
This must be a civilian application of their monkey soldier technology.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious but who's the middleman in all this.

Also, what obvious lesson would you draw if a parrot were taught to recite Shakespeare?

[ July 15, 2010, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Easy, that the recitation of Shakespeare in the original tongue can be done mechanically by any animal, and is not due to the divine inspiration of human beings. That understanding of Shakespeare and analysis of Shakespeare are more fruitful than blind recitation. I believe KoM may be referring to the fact that Muslims believe that Arabic is the only true language of alah, and that the Koran cannot be translated, and so as a result millions of Farsi speakers and other non-Arabic speakers learn the Koran without understanding what it is they are saying. Or it's the more global point that anyone, or apparently any animal, can recite texts, meaning that their recitation is not in itself a sign of the divine favor of god for human beings.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see some Christian sects teach a parrot to handle snakes.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Lunch! (One way or t'other . . .)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.