FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Job Hunt Support Thread. The Sequel. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Job Hunt Support Thread. The Sequel.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If you go that route and want some training tips, let me know. [Smile]

Good luck making the decision.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
That's a good question. What professions are doing fine? This calls for research.

Nursing is up, but so is the number of graduates.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Belle!
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see evidence of nursing being up around here. I can easily name 10 people I know with RNs who are not full time employed right now but want to be. Many of them ARE employed...they work for hospitals, but they are not getting enough shifts.

One has been a pediatric ICU nurse for 15 years at the same hospital and now is only averaging 8 shifts a month. Saw her lamenting it on Facebook just last night.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

As I said....demand is up, but so is supply (graduates).

[Big Grin]

And I am one of those nurses (LPN though)....working, but not consistently. Although there are jobs around here, just none I have landed recently. [Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I am so excited! I got an email from a principal from a middle school less than 20 minutes from home. He wants to interview me for a long-term sub.

No guarantees but this is one of my top schools - I really, really want to work here and this will be a good chance for me to get in and get to know the principal in case he has openings next year.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Interview is set for 5:00 tomorrow. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

Good luck!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Thanks rivka! You are so encouraging. [Smile]

Interview went well...I guess. I've given up trying to make predictions. It would be for about 7-8 weeks and teaching eighth grade.

The school is awesome - it's so beautiful and I clocked it - 12 minutes from my house! It would be a great place to fill in for a while...but of course I still want a permanent job.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking good thoughts!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
Thanks rivka! You are so encouraging. [Smile]

[Smile]

Did they give you any idea when you might expect to hear back? That's the worst part. The waiting to hear. [Razz]

Belle
Member # 2314

Next week. The job is not even posted yet, she only called me first because I came so highly recommended by someone at the board of ed.

At least, that's what she told me. I'm kinda happy and bummed about that - it's good I came so highly recommended that she called me right away, but I'd rather be the last person she interviews rather than the first.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I'd rather be the last person she interviews rather than the first.

Nah. You are the standard against whom all the rest will be measured! [Big Grin]
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Good thoughts winging your way, and the principal's way, too!
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I have a job!!! And it's not even long-term sub but a full-time contract for the year.

Just out of the blue I got a phone call from the board of ed, where I worked last year. A teacher resigned and walked out, and they need a new teacher right away. I drove to the board, the principal met me there, and hired me on the spot. I start tomorrow.

It's a high school position, teaching 10th grade. I am so, so excited. [Big Grin]

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, gosh, congratulations Belle!!!

That's really awesome!

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah!! I am so glad things worked out.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a good feeling this would end on a happy note. Congratulations. [Smile]
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I have a job!!! And it's not even long-term sub but a full-time contract for the year.

Just out of the blue I got a phone call from the board of ed, where I worked last year. A teacher resigned and walked out, and they need a new teacher right away. I drove to the board, the principal met me there, and hired me on the spot. I start tomorrow.

It's a high school position, teaching 10th grade. I am so, so excited. [Big Grin]

CONGRATS! [Party]

This is a different school but the same district as where you taught last year?

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Belle!
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome, Belle! Good luck with the new position!
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-hoo! What grade(s) did you teach last year? Same curriculum? Tomorrow -- wow! Guess you are busy now!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Same district, different school. Last year I was in middle school, now I'm in high school.

It is really challenging in a different way but I love it! I teach on block schedule, so I have only four classes a day and they alternate - I see all of them on Monday in an abbreviated schedule, then I see half my students every Tues. and Thurs. and the other half on Weds. and Fri. That's going to take an adjustment on my part, but I will get there.

I'm going from middle school curriculum to high school.

CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Wahoo! Hip, hip, horray!!! I'm so very happy for you. It's been terrifying having to live through the summer like this, but perhaps the position will be better than last year's, and maybe it won't go away at the end of the year this time!
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

In good news for me, the place I tutor at part time ended up being purchased a few weeks later and since part of their sales pitch is consistency, they rehired everyone who was willing to come back. I just got back from my first shift under new management, which was basically all the same peeople and set up as before. The people above me might notice a difference, but I doubt I will. So, back to employed in my nice, low demand job.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Wonderful scholarette! That is fantastic news!
rivka
Member # 4859

How cool!
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!! That's wonderful for both of you!!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

very cool! I am glad that worked out for you, Belle!

You too, scholarette!

I am still looking for full time work as an LPN, but the staffing place has me working steady. On a better note, Francks won their appeal of the injunction against compounding vet meds, and they are heading back into that business. They are rehiring all of the people they farmed out, including my wife, and they get all of their seniority and benefits carried over as if they never left. Because they never left the building, they just switched company names. [Big Grin]

scholarette
Member # 11540

Yeah Kwea! Sounds like things are upswing. [Smile]
Belle
Member # 2314

Kwea that's great about your wife getting her job back and the seniority and benefits is a bonus!
Kwea
Member # 2199

yeah, they said that they will have a lot more details in a week or two, including trying to work the insurance details out with Blue Cross/Blue Shield again.

Our insurance sucked, but there is a chance we might get to keep the money we already paid towards our deductible.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
This late in the year, that could be a huge benefit. Good luck, Kwea!
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.