FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Starcraft II just launched (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Starcraft II just launched
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I know because I forgot I had pre-ordered it, and it just charged to my bank account. [Smile]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was supposed to be the 27th?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah it shouldn't be at your doorstep any earlier then the 27th. Though some places like 7-11 get copies and often their employees don't know about not selling them until release date and when asked about them will often go into the back and get you copies.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. Good news, it'll be arriving earlier than I thought. Bad news, it's too late to reroute it to LA where I'll be during the week of launch so I can play during Siggraph. Good news: I won't be distracted by StarCraft II during Siggraph.

Win?

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Guess it isn't here yet. Darn.

Launch date is the 27th, but they took the cash out earlier.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade, there is an excellent chance I will stop at many 7-11s that I pass to see if this is true. Given that they're 7-11s and I pass like a half dozen of them in 20m, this will be a bit bothersome.

If you're wrong, I'm afraid there will be repurcussions!

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It should be here today, or tomorrow at the latest! [Big Grin]

wOOt!

Avin
Member # 7751

- posted      Profile for Avin           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone noticed the names of the moons of Tarsonis?

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/planet/tarsonis

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

Came home from work today and found my husband had purchased and installed Starcraft II for me. Now, two hours and three missions later, I'm still pretty thrilled.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
@Avin: awesome! Laughed out loud here.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cookie Crisp
Member # 12312

- posted      Profile for Cookie Crisp   Email Cookie Crisp         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
@Avin: awesome! Laughed out loud here.

QFT!
I'm surprised one isn't Harmony...

Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about four missions in and I had to make myself stop.

Avin: That's awesome! I sent off an email letting Mr. Card know.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I'm physically twitching because I'm not playing.
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
a lot of these planets/moons have pretty funny names Folsom(a prison planet) and Sue. Pyramis and Thisby...
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I played quite a bit yesterday and I'm hooked. The single player mode is everything I was hoping for. I've been presented with a few decisions and have wondered whether or not I made the right ones, but I guess I will see.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

So far there was only one decision I had to make, ethically speaking: which faction to side with in a given mission. The only immediate results I could see were different research bonus points and a different cutscene. The faction I fought against seemed pretty amiable about the whole thing, so *shrug*.

Other than that, the only choices I've had to make so far are strictly gaming choices. Do I put my research money into this or that? Which research tree do I investigate? Etc. I'm interested to see how the ethical choice I made factors in if at all, and if there are more to come.

This is shaping up to be the best single-player RTS I've come across, bar none.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Too bad I have lots of homework to do. Otherwise I'd probably be playing this game.. ARGH
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Really enjoying the SP. Played about 9 or 10 missions last night.

Haven't really noticed any choices regarding plot yet. There are choices in which order to do some missions in, but I don't think doing one mission precludes you from coming back and doing the other.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
So far there was only one decision I had to make, ethically speaking: which faction to side with in a given mission. The only immediate results I could see were different research bonus points and a different cutscene. The faction I fought against seemed pretty amiable about the whole thing, so *shrug*.

Other than that, the only choices I've had to make so far are strictly gaming choices. Do I put my research money into this or that? Which research tree do I investigate? Etc. I'm interested to see how the ethical choice I made factors in if at all, and if there are more to come.

This is shaping up to be the best single-player RTS I've come across, bar none.

So without spoiling anything.... Spectres or Ghosts?

As far as the research trees, I've been torn on a few of them. Do I research the mass transport or the ground unit? Do I go with the instant Vespene Gas or being able to build 2 SCV's at once? Tough decisions for me.

In the end I went with instant Vespene Gas just because I won't NEED SCV's, and I went with the huge transport ship because it looks like it can take a large amount of punishment. I figured I could use it more, as there are already more than enough ground units for Terrans.

I will admit the cut scenes are nothing short of amazing. It has a western feel to it.

I also think it is hilarious that (slight non-story related spoiler) they have a hologram of a dancing night elf in the cantina and a commercial for L800 ETC! (Level 800 Elite Tauren Chieftain, Blizzard's in house band)

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
I really am enjoying the option of what units and buildings you want to upgrade. I've always hated firebats, so didn't upgrade a thing on them. But upgraded the marines, medics and marauders which when used together and with stim packs are quite a force.

Personally I don't think upgrading the reapers is worth it. They are a harass unit, which can be useful in MP, but the AI isn't really slowed down by that.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
Originally posted by TrapperKeeper:

Personally I don't think upgrading the reapers is worth it. They are a harass unit, which can be useful in MP, but the AI isn't really slowed down by that.

They saved my butt in one of the early storyline missions when you help the doctor lady. They are amazing at destroying buildings, and when you have to destroy dozens of them during a mission they really come in handy.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Firebats are incredibly handy against the zerg, though.
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm loving these diamondbacks!!! I'll chase down trains ANY day!
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

I wish EA hadn't screwed up the C&C franchise so badly. Here I see echos of what might have been...

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
I'm loving these diamondbacks!!! I'll chase down trains ANY day!

Diamondbacks are nice. I also like the upgrade to marauders that slow the enemy. It really comes in handy when Protoss Zealots are trying to use their rush skill.

I got Banshees last night. Those things are awesome. I get 8 of those and 8 vikings and I am almost unstoppable. [Smile]

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't gotten too far in the campaign yet, but I've really liked the reapers. They pack together really tightly, and I've found them really effective massed. I can't wait to try dropping them on enemies resource fields.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Nice....I like this game a lot, even though I am only through a few missions.

I also have trouble with my laptop overheating.....it isn't really meant to run this level of game, even on low. [Frown]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I'm pretty far in and seriously the missions just keep getting better and better for me.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I am on mission 8 now, but they have been fairly easy up to this point.
Armoth
Member # 4752

I got Banshees last night too, I They're pretty awesome, but nothing has rocked my world so much as the Thor with teh upgrade that makes me able to rebuild on the battlefield. Banshees + Thor? sigh... so much fun
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avin
Member # 7751

- posted      Profile for Avin           Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers for mission 3 below; just regarding the achievements though - nothing to do with the storyline or even them main mission object.

Does anyone know if in the campaign missions, if when you replay a mission later on to try to get an achievement you missed, you get to keep any upgrades you got since then?

I've heard varying reports.

I just started playing last night, and played three missions. On the first two missions I got all three achievements easily, but on the third mission, on Hard difficulty, I didn't get the Hard-difficulty achievement for killing four hatcheries; I killed three of them before time ran out and couldn't get to a fourth in time, just the normal difficulty bonus achievement for not losing any buildings.

So if I just advance in the campaign for now, basically I just want to know if I'll be able to come back to the mission to get that achievement with the benefit of at least some of the upgrades I've gotten, even if not all of them, or if there's no point in trying and I should just redo the mission now and try harder to get that last achievement.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Has anyone been able to get voice chat to work?
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Mumble?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Vent?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I'd just use vent. I haven't tried the in-game voice chat. Speaking of which, why haven't I friended all of you?

I'm BlackBlade on battle.net. Character code 577. If you try to add me leave a short message saying who you are on Hatrack. We should totally do some one on ones, but even better are Hatrackers V World.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I am Kwea, of course. [Big Grin]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Need your character code too. There are probably other BlackBlades and Kweas so each person is also given a character code.
Armoth
Member # 4752

lol, I'm Armoth. Where are character codes?
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm playing as often as I can and I'm wondering if anybody on here would like to do multiplayer games with me.

Philosofickle@gmail.com

look me up.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
lol, I'm Armoth. Where are character codes?

When you attempt to add a friend it should say your character number in the top right. I don't think it shows up right as you click add friend, I think you have to click "add realid"
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Juxtapose

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Finally got to start playing. The single most impressive thing to me is how oppressive and terrifying the Zerg feel in the campaign. The way they use day/night sequences and continuously pour more and more zerg at you, while the creep spreads towards your base, is awesome.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop making this game sound like so much fun. I don't think I have a computer with the right specs to play it. I bought a new laptop about a year ago, but I didn't upgrade the graphics card when I got it. If only I'd thought ahead.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I'll look mine up later...pulled an overnight shift last night and I am wiped out.

Played quite a bit, on Char now. [Big Grin]

Armoth
Member # 4752

Also on Char. Set up a disastrous defense, had to restart, set up a GREAT defense...still had to restart...
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I'm playing on a 2.5 year old Macbook pro with and its working okay. Not sure how that compares to the average PC laptop.
Geraine
Member # 9913

I finished the campaign and....wow. The story was amazing. Great storytelling by Blizzard. I have never played an RTS with a story that made you feel so involved. I can't wait until the Zerg campaign is released!

Most games drop you into a mission with objectives, but this game really made you feel like it all mattered on you, and that you were actually making a difference.

I did not manage my money well through the campaign. I purchased all of the mercenaries and did not have enough money to upgrade some of my other units near the end, but that is what second play throughs are for!

NON-Spoiler Hint!!

- There is a secret mission that you can access during the "Media Blitz" mission. At the start of the level, take the unit you are controlling to the bottom right corner of the map and you will find a science facility. Destroy it and it will drop some secret documents. Pick them up and finish the level, and you will access the secret mission.

You cant unlock it if you have already finished the mission though, so make sure you do it before moving on!

Kwea
Member # 2199

My laptop was locking up when I played at first, but now isn't. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad one. [Smile]

I can't wait to play it on a machine that can handle high graphics, where I can watch all of the cut scenes, as that is where mine locks up.....I just skip the longs ones now. [Frown]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Mine is Kwea 492
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I should totally box in everyone who posts their ID here with "Kwea 429," and Kwea 482" and such like, then proceed to play very poorly, all in my ultimate scheme to lull hatrackers into a false sense of security before placing a rather large wager on myself in the international battle.net competitions, and then having my long lost grandson, playing as "Orinoco" sweep in and steal my thunder, wrecking my great triumph and destroying my perfect game before going on to....

:transmission interrupt:

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.