FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sherlock (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Sherlock
Olivet 2.0
Member # 12719

- posted      Profile for Olivet 2.0           Edit/Delete Post 
I see the BBC Sherlock Holmes to be aspirational. Everybody wants to me that guy -- smart ans sharply-dressed, so clever that he can get away with being an ass to people.

I see the Elementary Sherlock Holmes as being more relatable. he's emotional and deeply flawed. The writing is not the worst in the crime/mystery genre on US TV, and Sherlock himself is... more colorful with his shirt off.

It's kind of fun. I think I like it. Not so much that it would inspire me to feats of latte art, though :(https://twitter.com/mayo_to/status/298412378427621376/photo/1 )

Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely wouldn't aspire to be the BBC sherlock. And, in sum, Elementary's sherlock is much more relatable, and the relationship between holmes and watson is much more satisfying and real.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet 2.0
Member # 12719

- posted      Profile for Olivet 2.0           Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't want to be the BBC Sherlock, either, but I am absolutely positive that the writers DO. Moffat couldn't *really* let him lose to woman, for example. He's a big squashy glob of geek wish fulfillment, kind of like Doctor Who, but with a mean, ruthless streak. He's more or less a superhero, and I think a lot of his appeal is aspirational in that way. Not in a very mature way, but still.

I wouldn't want to be around him, partly because they are pushing the 'sociopath' thing so hard. I believe caring *is* and advantage.

The Elementary Sherlock is an example of how caring what happens to people can be motivating, and although I don't think he'd be super easy to be around, either, if I needed help, He'd be the one I'd ask (mediocre writing aside).

I still enjoy watching Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, though. I could eat their faces.

Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.