FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Persona 3

Author Topic: Persona 3
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I've palyed for ten hours and it's pretty neat. It's an RPG that puts you in a time crunch. It alternates between the school part of the game and the fighting, but the school part has an impact on the fighting because you spend time developing social links which level up any new persona you create and there's a finite amount of time that you can spend grinding--even less to grind wisely. Because going into the battle structures ( a mildly interesting story element, thus far) take time away that you can spend during the night--which could be spend developing academics or other things. And, after choosing to go to the tower your character will eventually get tired which makes it impossible to study during the night and make chance of dieing higher--and there's no way to save once your already inside the fighting place. Plus, there's an finite ammound of special attatck points you can have.

I only like the battle system though--I think it puts too strong an emphasis on element weaknesses. If you exploit the weakness you get an extra turn.

Good RPG. It's on the ps2.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty well hate the battle system. Just the fact that you can't directly control any party members except the MC turns me off.

That said, it's a great game. [Smile]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
You can tell them what to do more or less by hitting tactics--which is still annoying.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that game. With Persona 4, they let you control the other party members, as sometimes they do stupid things, but Persona 3 has some great characters. It's excellent.
And so is 4.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Since games like Final Fantasy usually have magic spells turn out to be mostly useless, a game like this that thrives on using the right magic at the right time was a great improvement when I first played it.

Great game in all respects, too, not just that one detail.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

So I'm basically just spending money on armor upgrades for the main character, since you lose if he dies, and physical attacks arent that relevant. Also I have a 20&hp ring for the main character and 20%sp for yuka, since her magic is so high.

I'm trying to keep some of the items just incase there's an alchemy system or some use for the accessories that the characters started with.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been working on it for about three years. I think I'm about halfway. It's just so grindtastic... I have to be in the right mood to play it.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.