FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Don't ask/Don't Tell (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Don't ask/Don't Tell
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
What if being naked in public -- and here I'm thinking of me -- represents a clear and present danger as well as a public health emergency? What takes precedence?

Can we weaponize it?
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Not according to the Geneva Conventions, no.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by airmanfour:
quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:
An E1 woman shares a tent with an O4 male.

I have never heard of anything like this happening. Could you tell me in what circumstance it would?
In austere circumstances....

Sexual segregation is the last domino to fall. It's quite common for officer and enlisted army to share living quarters. Navy,....never happens. It's a matter of culture. It's only the closet gays you need to worry about. The mullet sporting woman who walks like a male high school jock and the man who instigates questions like, "was that a man or a woman".....don't ask don't tell is pointless.

How will you react when the military requires gays to announce, "gay on deck"...just as they do for "female on deck" and "male on deck".

One's sexuality is private. Even thought I'm a heterosexual, my sexual activities with my wife, are none of the government's business. Gay business, is private as well. Open acceptance sounds good on the surface but gays have always been there, and everyone knew it. Make them equals, they'll have to announce "gay on deck"

[ August 30, 2010, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: malanthrop ]

Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen an officer share with enlisted. Ever. Even in the field.

And if you think every person who looks like that is gay, or every gay looks like that, you are more lost than usual.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think his point is that the sneaky closeted ones don't always look like that, so they'll have to announce someone's gayness in order to fairly warn the other people "on deck" that they might be in the presence of someone who could potentially find them attractive.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the militaries of nearly every other western country have all managed to incorporate openly gay people without any 'gay on deck' or shower squeemishness.

The US can just copy what they do.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
But Bella Bee, we are the great and amazing USA! We can't just copy what others have done. We must reinvent the wheel in the most inefficient way possible. The fact that other nations can do things successfully is no indicator of the US's ability to do so. Kinda like how other nations do health care without death panels, but we will have them. Cause we are just that cool.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused. By their very nature how would you know the closted ones are gay in the first place? Maybe they are just staring because they are straight but jealous.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By their very nature how would you know the closted ones are gay in the first place?
That's what makes them so dangerous! The odds are good that, at this very moment, a soldier taking a shower is being desired by someone just a few feet away!
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
... By their very nature how would you know the closted ones are gay in the first place?

They join the Senate or Congress and advocate strongly against gay rights [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
... By their very nature how would you know the closted ones are gay in the first place?

They join the Senate or Congress and advocate strongly against gay rights [Wink]
The quieter ones just start threads on writer's message boards.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I love you guys. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by airmanfour:
quote:
An E1 woman shares a tent with an O4 male.

I have never heard of anything like this happening. Could you tell me in what circumstance it would?
In austere circumstances....
That's not doing it for me. The regulations that disallow fraternization are unwaiverable per the UCMJ and austerity is not a justification for a violation of those regulations.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:

The quieter ones just start threads on writer's message boards.
[ROFL]
Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.