FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Latex allergy???

Author Topic: Latex allergy???
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My 12 year old is a star volleyball player. That's not just Mama talking, she really is amazing. She is the only 7th grader in her middle school that plays for the 8th grade team.

She has been breaking out on her hands really badly, and we had no idea what was causing it. We've had it looked at by more than one doctor but today we took her to the pediatrician who said "you know, it looks a lot like how people with latex allergies who wear latex gloves break out"

So, the general concensus is that she is reacting to something in the volleyballs. In fact, when she puts her hands together like she does to pass the ball you can see the pattern....it is worse where the ball most often makes contact.

So, now she is having to play with long sleeves and bright blue latex-free exam gloves. [Frown] Has anyone ever heard or seen something similar? Is this something likely to go away ever, or get worse?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know... I wonder if they can use balls that don't have latex or if they all have that. Did he test her for allergies?
Maybe some sort of anti histamine would help?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a mild latex reaction after wearing gloves for a few years at work. While the reaction is still mild, everyone tells me not to use latex products anymore because the reaction developed from nothing so it may very well become more severe. And avoiding when the reaction isn't severe is better then having a severe reaction around like latex paint or latex powder in the air.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
She might not be able to eat avocados too. I read that can be related.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know specifically about latex, but allergies in general tend to get worse over time, not better.

Latex is a sucky one. Balloons, many toys, packing materials, even some plastic dishes all contain different amounts of latex. Condolences to your girl.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as a nurse, and not as one who has actually seen or treated your daughter......

Yes, these types of allergies can get worse. I would get her tested for it, and then see if the MD will recommend something for it. It may not bean an actual allergy, she could just be sensitive to it.

In the meantime, try an antihistamine. It can't hurt, and it might be all she needs. [Big Grin]
Here is the Mayo Clinic's web page on these types of allergies.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raventhief:
I don't know specifically about latex, but allergies in general tend to get worse over time, not better.

I don't know about that; I've heard and felt the opposite, as it relates to common allergies; I use to be very allergic to mustard when I was young, but I'm apparently not anymore.

But my allergy to nuts has not changed.

I don't personally know if latex allergies get better or worse over time, though. I'm just responding to the general statement.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

We don't even know that it is latex, that's the problem. It could be anything in the makeup of the balls or even in just one particular ball.

She is on prednisone to clear up the dermatitis. She is feeling better today already - with only two doses of prednisone in her and no contact with the ball at all yeterday some of the redness and itchiness has already receded.

I am encouraged that she is getting better already. Bless her heart, she has to play ball with the blue latex-free gloves on....some boys in the crowd were making fun of her in the stands yesterday, and at first the coach on the other team disputed her right to play in gloves. The official said there is no rule against it, but the coach was a witch and insisted that they contact the state office for an official ruling. [Roll Eyes] She was cleared to play about 30 seconds before the match started, and not allowed to warm up. So, she was traumatized by the whole deal...but she still played well when she finally got to. The coach (rightly so) held her out the first couple of games to let her settle down and get a chance to warm up and get a feel for the ball with the gloves on. When she did play she served, passed, and set the ball perfectly - so the gloves don't hinder her much. They're just uncomfortable!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The coach on the other team is an idiot. If the gloves somehow improved her game, fine, let everyone who wants to wear them.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have struggled with an immune system that flares up and causes skin problems for nearly the last 30 years. The best things I've found are vitamin D-3 softgels (I use the Now brand, but others may work too), regular sun exposure, cortisone cream (OTC or prescription), and avoiding irritating factors like too much abrasion, hot water, and harsh soaps. Some plant foods, particularly those with lots of beta-carotene, can sometimes worsen these issues. I recommend experimenting with all of these methods to see if they work. All of them should show results within 3-4 days at the very most, in my experience.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

We are doing very well...her skin is almost completely clear and I'm so glad because she's been taking corticosteroids and they put her in a very bad mood. She took the last dose yesterday so maybe her personality will return to its normally cheerful self. [Big Grin]

Since she has not had contact with the ball, everything has begun healing rapidly. So, for now we'll continue with the hypothesis that the ball causes it.

The gloves and long sleeves are actually in violation of the uniform rules, because not everyone on the team wears gloves and long sleeves. [Roll Eyes] So...we have to get a medical waiver for a uniform alteration for her. That has proven to be a pain, because we need a letter from the doctor and it has not been forthcoming as of yet. Hopefully it will be handled by the end of the week, and before the next tournament. She has a game today but if we can get the official and other coach to agree then we should be okay. Once we get the waiver from the state we just need to bring a copy to every game.

We also ditched the blue latex free gloves because the doctor was concerned she would not heal as fast if her hands were enclosed in water-tight gloves. We now wear wrist supports made of a latex-free spandex and cotton but without the velcro or the hard plates...it's just a somewhat clingy, flesh-colored glove with the fingers out. Her fingers are not affected, so that works out well.

All in all, she's learned a bit about perseverance. A lot of people suggested she quit but she never seriously considered it for a second.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.