FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Laws of physics vary throughout the universe, new study suggests

Author Topic: Laws of physics vary throughout the universe, new study suggests
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
http://tiny.cc/3ywbw (tinied because the Hatrack wouldn't let me post the original for some reason...something to do with parentheses?)

quote:
A team of astrophysicists based in Australia and England has uncovered evidence that the laws of physics are different in different parts of the universe.

The team -- from the University of New South Wales, Swinburne University of Technology and the University of Cambridge -- has submitted a report of the discovery for publication in the journal Physical Review Letters. A preliminary version of the paper is currently under peer review.

The report describes how one of the supposed fundamental constants of Nature appears not to be constant after all. Instead, this 'magic number' known as the fine-structure constant -- 'alpha' for short -- appears to vary throughout the universe.

"After measuring alpha in around 300 distant galaxies, a consistency emerged: this magic number, which tells us the strength of electromagnetism, is not the same everywhere as it is here on Earth, and seems to vary continuously along a preferred axis through the universe," Professor John Webb from the University of New South Wales said.

[Eek!] , if true.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
What are the implications if that is true? I don't have the expertise to really understand what that means.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
[Eek!] , if true.

Seconded! Egad!
Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
What are the implications if that is true? I don't have the expertise to really understand what that means.

I think that if, in fact, the laws of physics differ throughout the universe, it would mean that the Klingon cloaking devices on Star Trek would not be realistic.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Haven't read the article but it could mean time travel is more realistic, large masses push you away, whatever.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, let's see. For one thing it means that humans would not survive in those galaxies, if the difference is at all large; biochemistry
would work differently. Of greater importance philosophically, the speed of light would be different, which is not supposed to be possible; that would mean rethinking both special and general relativity. It may be a hint towards how we can unify the forces, and also towards the correct theory of quantum gravity.

If true, this is the New Physics that we've been looking for since the November Revolution; the paradigm shift that dethrones Einstein, who is not forgotten, just as he did to Newton, whom we remember.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
If the physical constants of the Universe are not constant, this implies that momentum and energy are not truly conserved properties (at least according to Feinman).
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
More info
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd guess it means that those folks haven't read any physics papers since college, and as few as possible in that way back when.
Try googling cosmological birefringence and the Great Attractor, the axes of which just happen to lie perpendicularly to each other.

[ September 11, 2010, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthonie:
quote:

I think that if, in fact, the laws of physics differ throughout the universe, it would mean that the Klingon cloaking devices on Star Trek would not be realistic.

[Big Grin]

Indeed. The statutes regarding interstellar travel vary by jurisdiction, especially outside of Federation space.

--j_k

[ September 12, 2010, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be more curious as to why. What forces act upon the "laws" of physics themselves?
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
quote:
Originally posted by Anthonie:
quote:

[Big Grin]

Indeed. The statutes regarding interstellar travel vary by jurisdiction, especially outside of Federation space.

--j_k

But ya cannae break the laws of physics Cap'n...
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
I'd be more curious as to why. What forces act upon the "laws" of physics themselves?

With this question, you sir have just blown my mind. [Angst]
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

None forces. If you read the article, or even the summary, what's happening is that certain psychics constants appear to differ slightly in far away galaxies.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
quote:

None forces. If you read the article, or even the summary, what's happening is that certain psychics constants appear to differ slightly in far away galaxies.
I hope you meant physics and not psychics...Though Psychic constants governing the universe would be pretty epic. Sounds like a decent premise for a book..
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

A Universal Parliament?
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.