FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Think I Need a New Job

Author Topic: I Think I Need a New Job
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm probably going to be fired from my last one. I'm not going to go into details, but I can't say I did nothing wrong. More like a stupid screw up at the worst possible time, one that of course was entirely my fault.

I've needed a career change anyway. I'm a college student and my part time job delivering pizzas was getting on my nerves anyway.

So, even if I don't get fired it's time to get a new job anyway. 3 years of this particular loveless grind has clearly had a negative effect.

I'm in a film program, so that means there aren't gonna be a lot of openings related to the sort of things I've been trained to do, but I'm going to look through the few possibilities anyway. (i.e., I've learned how to handle cameras ranging from DV cameras to large television cameras, lighting equipment, nonlinear editing equipment, low-level technical stuff like holding boom mikes and dealing with cords and whatnot, scheduling, marshaling at least small groups towards a project goal, and maybe someday I'll have some sort of knack at creating art. Maybe. Let's not count that yet)

I'll look into jobs at my college, too. See what's going on there. I hope it isn't too late, since school for me starts in like two weeks. Same with looking around town. But I don't want to deliver pizzas again, I've done that job too long.

Sigh. It's been awhile since I've looked for a job. I dunno, maybe I'm just down about this. I've been feeling a lack of confidence in what I've been doing anyway, from writing to driving my own car to playing video games. Pretty much everything, actually. I still take joy in things, and laugh and can have fun and have passionate debates and whatnot, so I doubt it's depression. I dunno, this just exacerbates fears that I just suck at everything I try to do.

I'm sorry for bringing any of this stuff up, I'm just pretty down.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
When my cousin was in college, he was able to get a job at a smaller local television studio on the night crew. Is that something you could look into?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

That's one of the things I will be looking into, yes! After all, that's the sort of thing I'm being trained for.
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you do, do not work the graveyard shift at a gas station. If I wasnt already dead inside when I started two years ago I would be now anyway.

Good luck on escaping the service industry.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Does your college have a theatre department? Can you find a work study job with them?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Good Lord.

At my "old" job, I was supposed to work today. But I was given a call by the day manager, saying he recieved a letter from the manager saying I was to be given the night off, and asked that I call at 9 PM tonight.

This, after being told he'd "tell me if I was still working there" before my next shift. It was Saturday he told me this.

If he's going to fire me, just do it! I'm already looking for another job, it isn't the end of the world for me. But this bizarre behavior (and note please that what I did is not something major enough to warrant bizarre behavior or rudeness. Especially not rudeness!) is honestly weird.

I'm not afraid of losing my job, but can he just be a man about it? What's with the games?

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Hey, I found an opening at my school for a position as "Athletic Game Videographer."

Handling cameras and so forth to record live sports games.

They even point out that they prefer students of my major.

Now that's what I call perfect. Great for my resume, too! [Big Grin]

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you get it.

Yeah, the coyness around your impending firing seems rather silly given the circumstances.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

I know! It's really weird, and it makes no sense.

I mean, I know my boss is a jerk -the independent opinion of my bank teller, who saw how he treated me, confirmed it awhile ago- but this is silly.

Even if he doesn't fire me, I'm not staying. Why would I, when I'm being treated so badly?

I've delivered to literally thousands of houses for this company, I've gone out and back without issue multiple thousands of times.

And when, a few weeks ago, I accidentally backed up and bumped into another person's car, he was very upset, even if he didn't show it. They didn't even make a claim on my car insurance. Because there was no damage.

But on Saturday... well, bad timing, but a spider came at me while I was pulling out on a drive, and I freaked out and stopped in the parking lot while trying to get it away, and then pulled forward a bit, close to another car. (I didn't hit it, either!)

From that, which he witnessed, he promptly sent me home and said "I don't know if you'll still be working here. I'll call you before your next shift to tell you."

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
That's what is prompting him to fire you? That's ridiculous.

Good luck with the job search.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Yes. That's what's prompting him to fire me.

"What if you had hit a child?!" (No children were present. And I hit nothing at all.)

Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you were stopped, it would have been more likely that a child could have hit you.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Well, to clarify, when I pulled forward, after the time I was stopped, I realized I hadn't backed far enough, and would have hit something if I hadn't stopped again right then and back up properly. But I did stop, and didn't hit anything at all.
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me see if I can get you in touch with a friend of mine. I used to work with him at CompUSA and he left to go to California and try to make it big.

Turns out he did. He is one of the hosts of Ghost Adventures that runs on the Travel channel.

Let me know if you would be interested I can give you his name and facebook information. He is one of the nicest guys I've known, I am sure he would be happy to give you some advice or pointers.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Well, now, Geraine, that's mighty nice of you.

Let's switch to PM's/email then and talk about it.

Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure thing, I'll send you a PM when I get gome from work.

I swear I went into the wrong industry. I've made some friends over the years that are all into film and all of them have been able to do what they set out to do. I have another friend that does camera work and she just finished up filming two indie films (unpaid) that are being shown at Sundance.

I have a friend that is a Chemical Engineer and another close friend that is a Nuclear Engineer and works for NASA.

And I work at a Payroll company. [Smile] But hey, I sure know how to fill out corporate tax returns!

[ September 15, 2010, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Geraine ]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Well, and that is a highly useful and important skill, and everybody should have a friend who can do it. [Big Grin]

Btw, did you get my email?

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
lol... I often feel like my job is lame. It seems like almost all my friends are doing cool things, but all I do is manipulate spread sheets!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I work the third shift in convenience store in Phoenix. Feel better about any job that does not include cleaning up after junkies, regularly having your life threatened, and the occasional attempt. I would enjoy a nice sit-down non service job after what Ive been though at that store.

Honestly, things happen regularly that make me wish I could draw because my real-life stories would make a great web-comic.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck man. You taking the Electronic Media & Film major at EWU?
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Yeah, that's right. Why do you ask?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.