FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rally to Restore Sanity / March to Keep Fear Alive rallies (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rally to Restore Sanity / March to Keep Fear Alive rallies
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I went to see Obama, while my best friend was at the dual rallies.

I am jealous [Embarrassed]

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link to Stewart's Moment of Sincerity at the end. It's pretty good. My favorite part:

quote:
Where we live our values and principles form the foundation that sustains us while we get things done. Not the barriers that prevent us from getting things done. Most Americans don’t live their lives solely as democrats, republicans, liberals, or conservatives. Americans live their lives more as people that are just a little bit late for something they have to do. Often something they do not want to do, but they do it. Impossible things everyday that are only made possible through the little reasonable compromises we all make.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that in their own perfect worlds, they'd probably both be centrists.
I don't doubt this, but I'm having trouble thinking of somebody for whom this is not true.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Just posted some thoughts on the rally.

Yesterday Jon Stewart restored a bit of sanity

"News commentators, radio personalities, pundits, talk shows, I have long been wary and dismissive of you. If you scream at me, I just assume you're lying and don't want me to think too much about what you're saying. I appreciate passion, and powerful arguments, and reasoned pleas, but far too many of you use scorn and derision and demonization to make your points for me to take you seriously. I just don't believe you're really trying to help. I think you're trying to improve your own bottom line. When witchfinders get paid by the witch, they're going to find witches everywhere whether they actually exist or not."

[ October 31, 2010, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Since daytime hotel television is boring, I've been watching the major networks struggle to try to avoid the lessons it could learn from the rally's criticism.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
I was impressed that he criticized the firings of Williams and Sanchez. Neither was a very good reporter, and both were being stupid, but the oversensitivity and zero-tolerance attitudes that got them canned are just over the top.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
There's also a lot of noise being spread about "traffic issues" and unruliness - a common rhetorical technique used by pundits to turn massive turnout into a negative.

Err... It seems like you're saying the media is manufacturing the traffic issues, but they were very real. The metro was completely unprepared for the number of people who came to the rally. I had problems going in and out of DC and I did my best to pick times on the metro that were less likely to be affected by the rally. I know of people who tried to go to the rally who were unable to because there was no way to get on a train. So I'd say the traffic issues are worth some comment, especially since they did impact the rally and likely some people's enjoyment of the rally.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Tarrsk: I found that the British/Canadian/Aljazeera coverage of the rally was pretty positive FWIW.

quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
I was impressed that he criticized the firings of Williams and Sanchez. Neither was a very good reporter, and both were being stupid, but the oversensitivity and zero-tolerance attitudes that got them canned are just over the top.

++
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
100 best signs at the rally

Warning: Some have choice wording.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another link with more signs: Link

Same warning applies!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Great signs! Nighthawk's link has a greater number of antagonistic sign's than Strider's. I'd recommend Strider's link.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Risuena:
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
There's also a lot of noise being spread about "traffic issues" and unruliness - a common rhetorical technique used by pundits to turn massive turnout into a negative.

Err... It seems like you're saying the media is manufacturing the traffic issues, but they were very real. The metro was completely unprepared for the number of people who came to the rally. I had problems going in and out of DC and I did my best to pick times on the metro that were less likely to be affected by the rally. I know of people who tried to go to the rally who were unable to because there was no way to get on a train. So I'd say the traffic issues are worth some comment, especially since they did impact the rally and likely some people's enjoyment of the rally.
I'm not surprised at this. My friends and I could barely walk out of there, let alone get on the Metro. We ended up walking several blocks away from the mall, then going down a side street, returning to mall and getting in the Natural History museum from the back and looking at dinosaurs until it closed. The museum was crowded but not insane.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Where can I watch it in full now that the rally is over?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
CSPAN had a super crappy resolution one here
http://www.c-span.org/Watch/Media/2010/10/30/HP/A/40153/StewartColbert+Rally+to+Restore+Sanity+andor+Fear.aspx

You can also get it from a fast moving stream of water.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh god, there were 9/11 truthers there???
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I think you misunderstood the signs.

They were meaning the average muslem wasnt responsible is the truth.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
There were a whole mess of...not necessarily counter-protesters, but people who were protesting for their own causes. I believe that they were trying to capitalize on the popularity and visibility of the event.

As to watching the whole thing...unless you're a fan of the music groups, I wouldn't suggest doing that. There was a lot of live music. I'm a big fan of the Roots and John Legend, who played for the first 30 minutes of so, but if you're not, you're not going to miss anything by skipping it.

The train song part was funny and should be watched, but everyone was bored by...I can't even remember their names, Mavis something was one of them...the people from Chicago. Thankfully, there was a guy trying to climb a tree right near where I was and there was humor in the crowd about that (We took up a "Yes you can!" chant). Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow I'd personally skip. Their song wasn't that good and had, I think, a horrible message.

I think you can find clips of all the good stuff online. Some of it, like the Mythbusters segment, I think you'd have to be there to really enjoy. The Daily Show show stuff was okay...the medals ceremony was good, but, honestly, you're really not missing that much if you don't see it. Jon's moment of sincerity is definitely the take away there.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'm watching from the beginning, might as well, i got 2 screens.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course there were truthers there. But you really can't read anything into that. Truthers show up at every protest, no matter who's putting it together. They live to protest.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think you misunderstood the signs.

They were meaning the average muslem wasnt responsible is the truth.

If it's the photo I'm thinking about, it is the juxtaposition between the Truthers and the Muslim with the "We didn't do it" sign that's just precious. And yes, the truthers were real truthers.

I'm trying to decide if I want to open up my facebook album for public viewing. I got quite a few pictures of signs. Does allowing "anyone" to view an album reduce the privacy on the rest of my profile somehow?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

While I view Loose Change to be fairly disturbing I wish the Truthers would restrain their views to "we think the previous administration was so incompetant that its tantamount to allow this to happen" which I believe more plausible then some massive conspiracy to bring down the towers.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Zo Nation on the Rally to Restore Sanity.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
The crowd didn't look that big to me.

Oh wait.

That's the crowd in ANTARCTICA.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that was 11 minutes that could have been spent on better things. I'm not sure what I expected though. His take of the rally is pretty consistent with what pjtv has been pushing for years.

[edited because my "g" got sneaky and replaced the "j" in pjtv....]

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked that zo nation guy's ridiculous ambush questions.

the rest of the video: also lol?

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by TheHumanTarget:
I'm not sure what I expected though.

What I wasn't expecting was for the video to be pretty much a pitch-perfect unintentional parody of what stewart's closing arguments were directly addressing.

I guess, even when they're called on it, they're too preprogrammed to deviate from the general strategy. How adorable!

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:

Thankfully, there was a guy trying to climb a tree right near where I was and there was humor in the crowd about that (We took up a "Yes you can!" chant).

While this probably happened many places, I'm amused by the possibility that we were in the same area of the crowd. Had I known, I would have waved.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

So where were you lisa when Michael Steele literally word for word said "when we take back the House we will make Nancy Pelosi sit in the back of the bus."?
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you meant this for a different thread?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Maybe I'm confused.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
There is another thread that is about the sitting in the back comment.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:

Thankfully, there was a guy trying to climb a tree right near where I was and there was humor in the crowd about that (We took up a "Yes you can!" chant).

While this probably happened many places, I'm amused by the possibility that we were in the same area of the crowd. Had I known, I would have waved.
[Wave]
edit: Oddly enough, that's a pretty good approximation of what I look like.

[ November 02, 2010, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by TheHumanTarget:
I'm not sure what I expected though.

What I wasn't expecting was for the video to be pretty much a pitch-perfect unintentional parody of what stewart's closing arguments were directly addressing.

I guess, even when they're called on it, they're too preprogrammed to deviate from the general strategy. How adorable!

When you watch stewart ending the rally and then you watch that video, you see that stewart has them nailed. Good job, pjtv.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.