FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Rush (of possible interest to Dawkins/Hitchens fans as well)

Author Topic: New Rush (of possible interest to Dawkins/Hitchens fans as well)
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
This board used to be full of Rush-o-philes so I thought I'd just check in here with a little bit of news I found out yesterday.

They have 2 new singles available digitally. they are apparently in advance of an upcoming project called "Clockwork Angels", which appears to signal a more evangelical approach to Neil's naturalist writing.

The first single, "Caravan", is quite simply, really cool. A great combination of heavy, edgy, raw, but polished, and featuring several style shifts as the song progresses. Classic work by them.

The second, "BU2B" (Brought Up to Believe"), doesn't really work for me. It's uncharacteristically repetitive for them. It does, however, feature some of Neil's most aggressive lyrics yet:
quote:
Believe in what we're told
Until our dying breath
While our loving Watchmaker
Loves us all to death

He doesn't really pull any punches on this one, unfortunately, I actually don't think he got what he was trying for out of this one. On first listen (and I've only heard it once so far) the song just doesn't have the richness, lyrically or musically, that I expect from Rush, but neither does it have the raw power to overcome that lack.

Final note, I was told last night that the song "Presto", one of my longtime favorites which has never been played live, is in their show this year. I'm psyched (I see them next week).

For those of you who don't know, they are also playing Moving Pictures in its entirety. Those of you who never heard the back side of that LP but are going to this show are in for a real treat.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard those first two at the show I attended with Slash earlier this summer. I've seen them live twice now, and thoroughly enjoyed myself both times.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.