FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » atheist/humanist billboard suggestions needed! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: atheist/humanist billboard suggestions needed!
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, I'm looking for some suggestions. I'm on the steering committee for a local humanist group and we're getting a grant to put up a billboard in a few months. The organization giving the grant is not dictating what will be put on the billboard in any way, but there are some stipulations. The grant is being given because there are three "freethought" groups in the area, one being us, one being a freethought society, and another being a recovering from religion group.

So while we can decide to put whatever we want on the billboard, the "we" encompasses more than just our own group. The head of the recovering from religion group is part of our group as well, and the freethought group is pretty small, so our organization will probably wield the most influence on what this billboard ends up being. I really don't want to see this billboard go up and be something inflammatory or derogatory towards religion, but it DOES need to be something that catches people's interest and represents broader interests than just a humanist group, and so I'm looking for suggestions.

I know there have been billboard campaigns in other parts of the country. I remember around christmas time they had "Why believe in god? Be good for goodness sake." and I've seen "Don't believe in God? You're not alone."

Anyone have any cool billboard ideas?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure it's relevant to what you're trying to say, but I'm partial to:

"One Nation, Indivisible
- Minister Francis Bellamy, 1892"

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucous
Member # 12331

- posted      Profile for Mucous           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the Toronto did the standard “There’s probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life” on the TTC.
http://atheistbus.ca/tag/ttc/

The "One Nation, Indivisible" one is interesting but was vandalised
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/evangelicals-respond-nation-billboards-nc/story?id=11197974

Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps a better way to word it would be:

' In 1892, minister Francis Bellamy wrote "One Nation, Indivisible." '

With a tagline along the lines of "X% of Americans do not believe in God" (For some reason the "don't believe in God? You are not alone" version bothers me slightly.)

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
"Secular humanism: We believe in people." (Maybe add: "Look what they can do.") with a background of some outstanding examples of human achievement, like maybe the moon landing, DNA, or something.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Ooh, I like MrSquicky's.
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything that stresses morality.

Be your own moral compass.
Is it better to be good because it is the right thing to do, or because I higher being tells you to?

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucous
Member # 12331

"Don't believe in God? You are not alone" bothers me a bit too, sounds similar to a support ad for herpes or something.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Mucous, I'm not a big fan of of that "there's probably no god" one. Particularly because of the second half.

To give you guys an idea, here's the mission statement of our group:

"Humanism is a non theistic philosophy that affirms our ability and responsibility to lead meaningful and ethical lives. We promote; human rights, civil liberties, the scientific method, and the democratic process in an open secular and humane society. Lehigh Valley Humanists provides education, support, & outreach about Humanism in an effort to build a vibrant community based around a positive ethical lifestance."

Freethought societies seem to be more of an explicitly atheistic group, with a bit more of an anti religion bent.

The recovering from religion group is what it sounds like, a support group.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I think MrSquicky's is particularly good because it is both positive and a catchy soundbyte. I think the ideal "impressive thing that humans did" would ideally be something genuinely "good" as opposed to just "impressive."
Mucous
Member # 12331

Strider: The second half? I would have guessed that the first half would be more of an issue. What, are you pro-worry? (j/k)
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in DC they have, "Be Good For Goodness' Sake."
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
If it was near Christmas, you could go with "Be good for goodness sake." I like Mr. Squicky's suggestion. I am not atheist but the message I think atheists most need to inject into American consciousness is the idea that you can be good and an atheist. I think pushing that idea would result in the most positive change in American discourse and in some ways might be the easiest for people to accept. If atheists do want to convince people to stop believing in God, this is also a good first step because if you believe that the only way you can be a good person is to believe in God, you have a lot invested in keeping your faith (at least publically). Getting rid of that idea allows people to more freely question. Maybe something like No religion owns morality.

ETA: oops ScottR beat me to it. Guess I should have refreshed before I posted.

Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Mucous, I don't like the idea of an atheistic message to be "atheists don't worry about anything and are hedonistic," which is what I think the second half of your suggestion would be interpreted.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Mucous, it's funny, because I just recently had a conversation with someone on facebook about that particular billboard. I mostly just think it's worded poorly, as well as missing out on an opportunity to relate a more positive message.

I'm guessing that what it was intending to say was "there's probably no god. Now stop worrying (about things specifically related to god) and enjoy (all the things in) life (that your belief in god has kept you from for no logical reason).

As it is, that billboard strikes me as an "eat, drink, and be merry" proclamation. Though again, even if it isn't, I think it was a missed opportunity to show a more positive method.

Strider
Member # 1807

scholarette, not only will it be going up around the holiday season, but it will be going up in the city of Bethlehem, known in these parts as "The Christmas City".

I agree with what you say about the positive message. And though I can only speak for myself, my purpose as an atheist is emphatically not to convince everyone not to believe in god, rather to promote education, the importance of the sciences and rationality in our lives and in our discourse. If atheism follows from that, great. As a member of a humanist group, that purpose is widened to promote the idea that non-believers can and should be ethical, as well as providing a resource/community for other non-believers.

Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
I would avoid "Be good for goodness' sake."

It conjures up images of an entity, believed in by some by not by others, often artistically represented as a bearded man, all-seeing and all-knowing, who miraculously metes out punishments and rewards.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucous
Member # 12331

quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
Mucous, I don't like the idea of an atheistic message to be "atheists don't worry about anything and are hedonistic," which is what I think the second half of your suggestion would be interpreted.

Hmmm, I never thought of it that way.

Actually, I should elaborate. The ad has been run in multiple cities in Canada and in London but not the US. I can totally see that what works in that less religious context (and less puritanical context) would be different from what works in the US where you have to struggle with more basic perceptions like "can atheists be good."

So, whatever works for you (general you) [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
What is important to you? What do you stand for?

Rather than even considering what you stand against, if you list out what you believe in and stand for, you'll probably find what you want to say on that list.

human rights: "We the People Includes All the People"

civil liberties: The text of the first amendment.

the scientific method: Uh...no idea. "Leave the expert testimony to the experts."

democratic process: "Want to make a difference? Then vote."

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

He's stated all that pretty explicitly already. The issue is how to consolidate those things into something catchy enough for a billboard to effectively communicate it.
katharina
Member # 827

human rights: "We the People Includes All the People"

civil liberties: The text of the first amendment.

the scientific method: Uh...no idea. "Leave the expert testimony to the scientific experts."

democratic process: "Want to make a difference? Then vote."

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I've been trying to think of something along the lines of:

What if this life is all we have? Let's be good to each other for our own sakes.

or

What if this life is all we have? Let's be good because it's the right thing to do.

or

Are you good without god? We are too.

or some variation of those.

Squicky, I like your idea, though as I mentioned, we're the only group that are secular humanists, and while we have more influence, I do want to be fair to the other groups.

Katharina, the mission statement i posted above does a fair job of relating what we stand for. The trick is trying to get that across in a billboard, as well as making it something that grabs peoples' attention.

edit: whoops, there was some cross posting while I posted!

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I am the target audience, but I like MrSqicky's suggestion a lot. It is positive amd inspiring.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

"Be good. It's the right thing to do."

What is the goal of getting a billboard. Are you sprinkling some sunshine into the world, or is it also marketing for your groups?

The suggestions in your post above all still seem to be reactions against religion, defining yourself as separate from it and what you are, rather than what you are and what you are for.

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It conjures up images of an entity, believed in by some by not by others, often artistically represented as a bearded man, all-seeing and all-knowing, who miraculously metes out punishments and rewards.

On that note, "God is Santa for adults" would be a billboard I would get a kick out of seeing, though more offensive than you are looking for.

The theistic billboards here in Omaha are often about this offensive to me as an atheist as the above, but I like to think we're better than that.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

The billboard is being given to us, our goal in taking advantage of this opportunity is twofold. Promote Humanism, and grow our group.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Atheists believe in you."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

"more offensive"...is it meant to be a little antagonistic and offensive? I mean, is a dig at religion a plus for or distraction from your purpose?

quote:
Promote Humanism, and grow our group.
Humanism, or secular humanism in particular? In other words, is your group looking for people who share the mission statement values, or is your group only looking for people who share the mission statement values and don't believe in God.
Strider
Member # 1807

Katharina, I don't know that my suggestions are so off the mark. Take the last one.

In eight words it conveys the promotion of morality, the rejection of the supernatural, and the existence of a community. They may not be perfect suggestions, but they certainly get some of the important points across.

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"more offensive"...is it meant to be a little antagonistic and offensive? I mean, is a dig at religion a plus for or distraction from your purpose?
This post seems to be in response to mine but directed at Strider, so I am confused.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

So being anti-religion is actually essential to the message you are trying to send.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I think that there is value in promoting the idea that atheism has something to offer. Ideally this should come across in a way that showcases that this IS distinct from what religion offers, but not in a way that goes out of its way to detract from religion. I think there is a certain type of religion person who WILL be offended by that message no matter what, but that's an acceptable fallout.

I like Tom's message.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"If you're reading this, you're a human."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

How about on Mr Squicky's just drop the secular humanists. So it would be "We believe in people, just look what they can do." Nifty pictures and then the three names of your groups. I don't see why the other groups would disagree with that message.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Katharina, if you want to call a rejection of supernaturalism being "anti-religion", that's your choice, but not our intention. That's like saying that because I don't watch football, I hate football.

Our mission statement clearly defines humanism as a nontheistic philosophy. If someone with supernatural beliefs wants to join because they embrace the rest of our mission and vision, that's wonderful, as long as they understand the organization espouses a non-theistic philosophy.

katharina
Member # 827

In general, I think people respond to positive messages over negative ones, especially when you want their active involvement. Going negative might tarnish what you are anti in someone's mind, but that's not the same thing as nudging them towards positive action in a different direction.

quote:
So it would be "We believe in people, just look what they can do." Nifty pictures and then the three names of your groups. I don't see why the other groups would disagree with that message.
I think this definitely fulfills the sprinkling sunshine goal, but not the "join our atheistic group" goal.
Strider
Member # 1807

Can you point out explicitly what was negative about the three suggestions I listed?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
think that there is value in promoting the idea that atheism has something to offer.
I'm not sure that atheism in and of itself has something to offer; it's just a functional truth, like 2+2 = 4. If you're trying to add 2 plus 2, I suppose that fact is of value -- but it's not like you can hang a philosophy on it.

Secular humanism might have something to offer, though. After all, they're a club that asks, "Given that God doesn't exist, what other reasons do we have for being good people?"

Strider
Member # 1807

I agree with Tom's distinction.
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
What if this life is all we have? Let's be good to each other for our own sakes.

or

What if this life is all we have? Let's be good because it's the right thing to do.

These two are fine. I agree with them both and I think they are positive, if slightly vague on specifics. (Define "good.")

quote:
Are you good without god? We are too.
This one has a double meaning. The first one is fine. The second meaning is staking a claim on goodness, which is....hmmm...maybe I'm American enough or modern enough that when someone is literally self-righteous, I raise my eyebrows at their lack of humility and possible lack of self-insight. It's a heck of a claim.
Strider
Member # 1807

Can you be more explicit about this second meaning? I'm not seeing it.
katharina
Member # 827

"We are good." As in, we are good people. We are the very models of the modern righteous citizens.

Modern Westerners don't make those claims - they claim to be trying to be good, they claim to want to be good, they claim to be striving to be good, they claim to be following the good, but they don't flat out claim to be good. They claim to be on the journey and the right path to goodness. That slogan means you are claiming to already be there.

Such claims to be there come off, to my ears, as either hubristic or comical (hence the Gilbert and Sullivan song - the model of a modern major general is a comic character). If we were in ancient Rome, you could totally say it and be taken seriously - Cicero did it all the time. But I don't think it works for modern ears.

Strider
Member # 1807

So if I reworded that to:

Do you believe you can be good without god? We do to.

you would not have these same problems with it?

Strider
Member # 1807

Also, I'll point out that the problem you had with one out of my three suggestions was one of perceived hubris, not negativity.
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
Biblical:
An angry Jehovah figure with lightning bolts in each hand. Caption: "He can only smite you if you believe in him."

Sad: An arab and a Jew aiming weapons at each other. Caption: "Ever consider that having a god could be a curse and not a blessing?"

In-your-face: A simple to-do list, reading "To do today: 1)Fire my God. 2) Leave the position vacant."

Whimsical: Two people looking down at a third in a coffin. One whispering to the other: "If he were an atheist he'd be finished already."

Cerebral: A split illustration with a pocketwatch on one side, the world as seen from space on the other. Caption: "Logically, one had to have a creator, the other didn't."

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
"Atheists believe in you."

I like this one the best. Implies some kind of faith in humanity that you don't necessarily see from coming from religion.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

For most people I know, you say atheist, they think God hater. It isn't someone who doesn't believe in God, it is someone who is specifically antagonistic to them and their beliefs. It is someone who hates and generally someone smug and condescending. It is not a good person because for most Americans (there are studies that back this up) you cannot be good without God. This billboard could be a chance to show a different side to the atheist movement- the belief in the greatness of people, regardless of their faith. People are very touchy already regarding atheists and believe they are out to destroy, so any hint at arrogance and hatred is going to be magnified. That is why I personally would try to limit the anti-religion, rejection of supernatural if I was doing a billboard. It is kinda like are you pro-choice or anti-life?
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:

I would have a problem with the missing "o". [Wink]
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
How about simply putting up a sympathetic definition of humanism and a website or some way of contacting your organization?

Not many people are going to change their religion because of a billboard, but there may be plenty of people out there who share your basic beliefs but don't know what to call themselves and don't know where to go to meet people who believe similarly.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:

Yeah, except now it isn't arresting marketing. It no longer has a double meaning and it isn't as snappy.

I'm not trying to be difficult. If we were in my office developing the language, this is what I'd say.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.