FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » atheist/humanist billboard suggestions needed! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: atheist/humanist billboard suggestions needed!
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have half a slogan. It needs another half, I think:

"Looking up and seeing only stars?" [Insert other half about how this is not only okay, but pretty freaking fabulous]

The background would be, duh, a starry night with light letters. Although I suppose this wouldn't actually need the second half, if the image was beautiful and stunning enough (not that hard, really) and the name of the organization contained the word humanists or atheists prominently.

Also, it's alliterative.

I thought of it because this suggestion doesn't typify atheists to me:
quote:
We like to keep things at eye level.
As an atheist, looking UP and seeing only stars (and that being not only okay but pretty freaking fabulous) is something I do regularly.

Loving and striving to understand the universe is something I think that is very close to the hearts of many secular humanists and atheists. Looking up has an intrinsically positive association with hope and also with religion-- The sky is the home of many of our world's more hopeful gods and the source of many of our myths about gods and goddesses. Now we understand it, many atheists, I think, use the sheer beauty and amazingness of the universe as inspiration with no need to invoke a god or gods as intermediary.

EDIT: Variation with a little more of a bite: "Looking up but seeing only stars"

[ October 02, 2010, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.