FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cut all Taxes Eternally!

Author Topic: Cut all Taxes Eternally!
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's pay for the $60 trillion dollar hole we're in with empty angry rhetoric!
Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Thor. How are you doing?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Where on earth did you find a $60 trillion dollar hole? Can I have its GPS coordinates?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Still, it brings up an interesting question. Is it what's in the hole, or the hole itself that's worth 60 trillion? and if the latter, what exactly do you do with a 60 trillion dollar hole? You can't exactly move it. You can't sell off part of it, because really...what good is part of a hole? And who really needs a hole anyway?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
If you need to have a battle with a galactic emperor and want to be able to dramatically throw them down into it, a $60 hole could be quite a bargain.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the size of the galactic empire, a $60 trillion hole might still be worth it.

I probably wouldn't rehire that contractor though.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
You could spend $60 trillion to build the hole, then fill it with 60 trillian one dollar bills.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to know what it would be like to find a planet with a dead core, drill a hold clean through it and jump down. Eventually you'd pass through the center start slowing down, stop, start falling again, repeat, until you came to a complete stop in the center where you would just float there.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenos
Member # 12168

- posted      Profile for Jenos           Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't the gravitational forces in the center cause tremendous pressure and kill you? Or am I missing something about a dead core?
Posts: 76 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I've always wanted to know what it would be like to find a planet with a dead core, drill a hold clean through it and jump down. Eventually you'd pass through the center start slowing down, stop, start falling again, repeat, until you came to a complete stop in the center where you would just float there.

The usual version of this problem (in HS physics books and such) assumes a frictionless hole, so you'd just kept oscillating back and forth until something else intervened. With the same periodicity as an object in low orbit, in fact.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Jenos:
Or am I missing something about a dead core?

Yeah, the fact that this is impossible to begin with.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mix dreams and science!!!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
But it's more fun that way! ;-)
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenos
Member # 12168

- posted      Profile for Jenos           Edit/Delete Post 
When one mixes dreams and science, isn't the result inception?
Posts: 76 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With the same periodicity as an object in low orbit, in fact.
Very low orbit. Watch out for that tree.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Doesn't Mars have a dead core?

I saw when we get there, we set up base camp, and break out the drilling equipment.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
quote:

I saw when we get there, we set up base camp, and break out the drilling equipment.

*high five*

Lyrhawn here gets it! We've got ourselves a crew!

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
quote:
With the same periodicity as an object in low orbit, in fact.
Very low orbit. Watch out for that tree.
[Big Grin]

Lyr knows perfectly well that I was not saying that having a dead core is impossible. (I considered editing earlier, but decided to see who'd pick on it first. [Razz] )

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I though you were saying that. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeesh.

Nope, just the drilling through the planet and zipping back and forth part.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Yeesh.

Nope, just the drilling through the planet and zipping back and forth part.

But it's never been tried before! /whining
rivka
Member # 4859

Really? Millions of kids every year try to dig to China, and THAT's your rebuttal?
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean I can't dig to China? [Eek!] Well I have wasted a lot of time then. *puts away shovel*
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
quote:

*high five*

Lyrhawn here gets it! We've got ourselves a crew!

What are we going to do when we get to the core? Jump start it with a few high powered nuclear explosions? Are we going to take a Genesis Device to terraform the planet?
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Well first we'll pass pieces of paper with juvenile messages about each other's moms down through the hole towards each other. After that who knows?
timothytheenchanter
Member # 7041

- posted      Profile for timothytheenchanter   Email timothytheenchanter         Edit/Delete Post 
gotta comment, sorry but if it's a frictionless hole, and uniform density planet your accelaration due to gravity will be 1/(percentage left to center)^3 * (whatever gravity is) again an assumption is that the planet is perfectly round, your jumping you will pop back out on the otherside at exactly the height you jumped into the hole from. so if you are dropped into the hole 1 foot above the ground you will pop back out(upside down of course) 1 foot above the surface on the opposite side.

we need to appoint a crew on mars to study this phenomenon in more detail.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.