FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Explosives Iran Seized in Afghanistan, (Now with Bribery)

Author Topic: Explosives Iran Seized in Afghanistan, (Now with Bribery)
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Link.

This isn't breaking news or even a new in the sense that we mean news, but I am so sick of Iran's government right now.

[ October 25, 2010, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Thats interesting news, especially when combined with this:
quote:
Fifth NATO tanker attacked in six days since Pakistan sealed border post

Nobody has claimed responsibility for Tuesday's bomb attack on a NATO tanker waiting at the Torkham border post, which Pakistan sealed six days ago.
it is Pakistan's government, and not the Taliban, that has cut off NATO's supply route, bowing to public anger over US drone attacks and air strikes by manned aircraft on Pakistani targets. September saw 21 drone strikes in Pakistan, a record number, with three more strikes occurring so far in October, reports Reuters.
200 trucks waiting at border

Hundreds of supply trucks have been stuck on the Pakistan side of the border since the closure began. Pakistani daily newspaper Dawn reports that by Sunday, four days after the crossing was shut, as many as 200 oil tankers and other supply trucks were sitting in Torkham crossing because they had been "rejected clearance to proceed."

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/terrorism-security/2010/1005/Fifth-NATO-tanker-attacked-in-six-days-since-Pakistan-sealed-border-post
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerpark27
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for deerpark27           Edit/Delete Post 
It gives one the impression there is a war going on.
Posts: 1154 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Link.

This isn't breaking news or even a new in the sense that we mean news, but I am so sick of Iran's government right now.

So are the Iranians.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Link.

So are the Iranians.
Well it's not like they have much say in the matter.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
No, not in the short term. But, on the whole, the next generation of Iran is already lost to the ruling party. Time will claim them.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, not in the short term. But, on the whole, the next generation of Iran is already lost to the ruling party. Time will claim them.

That still does not guarantee that the next generation will be any better once in power.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerpark27
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for deerpark27           Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. On the other hand, perhaps time shall also claim them. On the whole, in the long term, everything will be different.
Posts: 1154 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by deerpark27:
Indeed. On the other hand, perhaps time shall also claim them. On the whole, in the long term, everything will be different.

Lol, indeed. Time solves everything neh?
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by deerpark27:

Lol, indeed. Time solves everything neh?
So long as nothing else interferes.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
quote:

That still does not guarantee that the next generation will be any better once in power.
When you look at the values of the much more progressive, tolerant, free-thinking youth of Iran versus the current ruling generation, and you combine that with the furious rebelliousness and disdain they have for the illegitimate ruling theocracy, you have everything short of an assurance that when change comes to the state, it will change for the better.
Mucus
Member # 9735

A revolution can be a long and bloody business. We've often seen that by the time a movement makes it into power, it can easily have lost the more progressive and intellectual elements.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
A revolution can be a long and bloody business. We've often seen that by the time a movement makes it into power, it can easily have lost the more progressive and intellectual elements.

Yes, exactly. Don't get me wrong, the current regime has set the bar ridiculously low, and I do have high hopes that when it's finally toppled the vacuum will be filled by at least competent people, perhaps even good people, Iran certainly has those sorts of people.

But a bloody transition can only inhibit the number of good people alive to help rebuild the country.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get me wrong, I think it's likely that this is what is actually happened, but I don't think we can just accept that Afghan or our government's word that these weapons came from Iran. It's certainly not beyond them to lie about this if it serves their purposes.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Don't get me wrong, I think it's likely that this is what is actually happened, but I don't think we can just accept that Afghan or our government's word that these weapons came from Iran. It's certainly not beyond them to lie about this if it serves their purposes.

What's the point of lying about something that most certainly is happening?
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

quote:
quote:

I think he means that the shipment may not have came from the Iranian government but perhaps some faction within the country, in which case leaving the actual source of the weapons would certainly would benefit any warhawks left over from the Bush administration, or maybe even Pro-Isreal groups. Besides, when is it ever a bad idea to lie during war-time?
quote:
The official also noted that Iran -- a majority Shiite country -- and the Sunni Taliban almost went to war with one another in the late 1990s, so it's not really in their interest to be a major source of top-shelf arms to the Taliban
An interesting point here.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
quote:

These weapons are coming in from somewhere. Do we know that they are coming from Iran? The only sources we have for that are not exactly reliable. It's entirely possible that these shipments are not coming from Iran's government. It's even possible that they are not coming from Iran at all. There's plenty of motivation for our government to make Iran out a big bogeyman and not much to check them if they decide to fabricate evidence to this effect.

The Department of Defense has demonstrated that it is fine with going along with outright lies to the American public and the Obama administration is demonstrating that they are fine with this as well (cf. the BP oil spill data).

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Right and what I am saying is that Iran for years now has been doing this sort of thing in Iraq and Afghanistan. Why lie about this particular instance?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

How do we know that they've been doing it for years?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
How do we know that they've been doing it for years?

Well not having intelligence that proves it, I can't say I *know*. But I think the idea they are is more plausible than they are not.
Mucus
Member # 9735

It's also what the US did when the shoe was on the other foot *shrug* Given the success of the strategy, it would seem unwise for the Iranians not to learn from it.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I know. And I believe that it probably is happening. But it is also definitely possible that the government of Iran is telling the truth when they say that they are not doing it and our government is lying when they say that we have proof that they are.

They would have strong motivation to lie about this, the people involved have demonstrated that they are definitely willing to lie, and there's nothing really to stop them from doing so. My estimation that this is probably happening is because it makes sense that it is happening, not because the government said it.

I get the feeling that this isn't the case for other people, which I guess was the point I was trying to make.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
The official also noted that Iran -- a majority Shiite country -- and the Sunni Taliban almost went to war with one another in the late 1990s, so it's not really in their interest to be a major source of top-shelf arms to the Taliban
An interesting point here.
Um, no? That's Realpolitik. So they had differing interests ten years ago, what does that have to do with anything? Now they have a common enemy. Remember how quickly the US became a supplier of weapons to Germany after 1945?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Weapons for the Taliban, but cash for Karzai.

Link.

Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, when they make Afghanistan: The Movie, Eric Avari should play Karzai.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you aren't kidding.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Karzai told CNN on Monday that the United States is and has been aware of Iran's financial contributions. He also said that the United States gives bags of money.

"The United States is doing the same thing," he said. "They are providing cash to some of our offices."

Thats awesome. The puppet becomes the puppeteer, having the two compete in a bribe-off.

Karma [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.