FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Grad School and the GRE

Author Topic: Grad School and the GRE
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure older threads for this exist, but since things change and new people might be going through the experience, I thought I'd start a new one for the season.

Anyone taking the GRE soon or applying to grad school this fall?

I spent a good chunk of my summer studying for the GRE with the intention of taking it last week but was slammed by work in the first month of school. But after a meeting at school today about the application process, I got all the motivation I needed to get my butt back in gear. I'm all registered for October 19, which makes me a little nervous both because it's really soon, and I need to get back into study mode, and because it's perilously close to deadline dates for applications, but I see no other way around it. It should give me two weeks to do some last minute studying in addition to what I've already done, and it'll give me about five weeks until the earliest deadline date for applications, which should allow them to arrive on time.

I think part of why I so easily let all this go a month ago was the fear that this wasn't going to work out, and that I'd be rejected everywhere I applied to. And you know, that still might happen. Most of the programs I'm applying to have something like a 10% acceptance rate, and I'll be going up against kids from better schools and probably with somewhat better grades. But the only thing worse than failing is never having tried.

So, let this be a place for the sharing of grad school application process stories and GRE stories and other other related comments, fears, or even advice. Feel free to give the doom and gloom speech too. I've heard it so many times I can recite it myself.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
But the only thing worse than failing is never having tried.

Amen. Good luck!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I took it a couple years ago, so if anythings changed since them I wouldn't know about it. Honestly, it's not that bad. I'd focus your study on a) going through actual practice questions/tests. Particularly for the math, and b) studying close to the exam more than long term study. I didn't do super well on the verbal (690) so take my advice with a grain of salt. If you plan on memorizing all the words then study well in advance, if you plan on just making sure your actual verbal competence gets measured (instead of your lack of familiarity with the testing procedure) then nothing helps like just taking question after question and studying what you got right and wrong. Really, the math is very easy (and I can actually speak to that I was did very well) overall. Maybe some quick estimation tricks or geometry reminders if that's not your thing. Otherwise the practice questions will help you learn the tricks they use to try and trip you up which will be quite useful, as well as the general format.

As for time I know some people have complained about time, I think it just depends on how quickly you normally take tests. I'm a very quick test taker (it's one of my only real skills) and I finished the GRE in about half time, so it's certainly not impossible to beat. Also, watch out for their extra tests. I don't know if everyone gets one, but I did. They give you the same section twice with different questions they're trying out. They wont tell which of the two is graded so you have to take both of them seriously: very disheartening. Otherwise: good luck! And don't worry, it's not that bad.

Now grad school apps... I spent about a month and a half on writing a one+ page essay about me. That was torture.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

690 from what I've read is actually pretty decent for the verbal. I spent a couple weeks just working on vocabulary, and a lot of it really stuck. There are workbook problems in my study guide that do stuff like latin roots and what not, but I really just don't have the time for that. I'm a decent guesser. I've been doing fairly well in my practice tests, and thus far, I've been finishing most of the practice tests in about half the time necessary, so, I'm hoping that, unlike when I took the LSAT, timing won't be as big of a problem.

The math section has me puzzled only because, though it's really not difficult, I haven't studied math in literally 9 years, not since my junior year of high school. The program I want to go into doesn't take into consideration the math score at all, so really, I just need to place on it, not do terrible, I don't care at all about doing well on it. I plan to do a five day crash in math just to make sure I don't totally bomb it, but I'm not concerned.

Any advice on the personal statement? I got a bit of a crash course in it today from a professor of mine who is also on the grad school committee for the university, and his criteria were maddening. He says 90% of what he reads is boring and they're all basically identical, but you can't really spice it up and be wacky like you could perhaps for an undergraduate essay because it needs to be professional. You have to talk about your personal interests in the subject, but from more of an intellectual point of view rather than any vague ideas as to why you personally love your topic (because everyone loves their topic).

That's something I plan to tackle, in various drafts I would imagine, following the GRE. One thing at a time.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well I wrote an essay and I got in where I wanted which was a competitive school, but I'm not sure the two were related. However, I'll tell you the little I know. Focus on why what your studying is important to. Talk about what you plan to do at school and then (probably more importantly) with your degree once you've gotten it. I was told if there are any obvious holes in your application this would be a good place for a very general, very quick explanation. I did this (my grades the first 1.5 years of college were not nearly up to my last two years) but I'm still not convinced bringing up weaknesses is a great idea. A little personal information so they can relate and generally clear and well written. That's about all I've got.

On the verbal the thing that helped the most for me was taking practice tests (I know I'm repeating myself here). I bought a book and I did go through the whole thing, what I found most helpful was the tests. Which it sounds like you're doing, I just want to re-enforce that. I was on the reverse in that my math mattered a lot more than my verbal so that's where my energy went (I didn't try to memorize more than the 25 most commonly used words), however my recollection of the test is that it was pretty helpful if you did have key words memorized. The practice tests were pretty much the same as the real thing though I actually ended up doing better on the actual test (in the math anyways) then the practice. Also, the time is similar practice to real so I wouldn't worry about it if you're at only half-time.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I lucked out, didn't have tp take it for the grad school I am in now.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, you should go back and look at your score report again, a 690 should be something like 95 percentile. It's the math section that's pathetic, the verbal section is a real test.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. I can't remember what my specific scores were (though I think I probably posted a thread here about it), but I was disappointed in my verbal score and it was still in the 90 percentile or something.

What I did was similar to what you're doing Lyr. I registered for the test with only a short period of time leading up to it (three weeks I think for me) and then just studied like crazy for those three weeks, since the pressure was already on. I did decent enough. I think I got a 1310 total. Actually did better on math than I did on verbal, which was by far a first for me. I would recommend going for a good overall score as when you're applying for fellowships, sometimes they will have a minimum total GRE score (I've seen 1350 as a minimum several times, which makes me want to take it again).

As far as the personal statement, what I did was craft it around an experience. If I remember correctly (and I may not), I wrote it in such a way that the intro was somewhat flowery, referring some specific instances in my life where my desire to have a career in the historical profession was made evident. Then in the meat of the personal statement I went into what I wanted to study, what my interests were, etc, while occasionally referring back to the instances brought up in the intro, then in the conclusion bring it full circle and tie everything together. So really, I treated it like a little mini-history. I don't know if that was successful... I mean, I got in where I wanted to get in, but no one has ever said "You're personal statement was amazing!" But the way I figure it, it showed them that I knew how to think like a historian, interweaving my own personal history with an argument concerning why I belonged in grad school :-).

We really should chat some time about history grad school. Where are you applying again?

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
Originally posted by HollowEarth:
Hobbes, you should go back and look at your score report again, a 690 should be something like 95 percentile. It's the math section that's pathetic, the verbal section is a real test.

If I got a 690 that means there was 110 points available I didn't get. My pride is big enough that being in the top percentile didn't fully remove that issue.

Hobbes [Smile]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hobbes -

quote:
We really should chat some time about history grad school. Where are you applying again?
I'd love to chat sometime. I'm in the middle of coming up with a list of schools to apply to right now. I have three reach schools, University of Michigan, Penn and Northwestern, and I'm trying to figure out my mid-level and safety school options right now, but, "safety" school is looking like a relative term when it comes to applying for a PhD program. I'm struggling with finding out which schools would really have the best locations for me, and right now, my three reach schools are really shaping up to be the best, so I might try to find other schools in those areas with programs as well.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by HollowEarth:

Yeah, no kidding - my 800 math is still something ridiculous like 93rd percentile. Lame!

Good luck, Lyr! The GRE itself is equal parts not as bad as you think it'll be and way worse. I didn't study at all and did alright, so with a bit of studying, you'll be just fine.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been forever since I took the GRE (back before they started the writing section). I literally did one practice test the day before, and that was it for studying. I got an 800 Math, 800 Logic (what they replaced with writing), and a 6something verbal.

At least to me, the GRE was far easier than the SAT. I'm sure you'll do great!

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
If you aced the SAT, don't bother studying, just walk in and take it. If you have a math/science background, don't bother studying the math. If you are taking a GRE SUBJECT test, study like your life depends on it, starting MONTHS in advance.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

After two hours of studying math for the GRE, I've decided to no longer study math. Or at least, not to spend much more time on it. It's torture. It's shocking to see how much "simple" math I've forgotten in the last decade, but frankly, I never really learned most of this very well to begin with. Math has always been my weak subject. The only reason I aced astronomy in college was because the professor made it more conceptually based rather than math based.

If I can even come out of this with a halfway respectable score then I don't really care. I'm expecting most universities to ignore the math score entirely anyway for the verbal, where I've put most of my study time, and where I think I'll do a lot better anyway.

To attempt to study up to a proficient level in math would, at this rate, likely take me months. I think I can use what feeble knowledge I have, combined with some educated guesswork, to figure out enough answers to do okay. Even on the questions I know how to do that I can't automatically figure out in my head take me a couple minutes to figure out on paper, which will put me well over the time limit.

This is depressing, but hopefully not debilitating so far as my chances to get into grad school go.

T - 3.5 days.

Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a few years since I took the GRE, but I found the actual test to be much easier than the practice tests. Hopefully that will be true for you too.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck, Lyrhawn.

I've always been a good test taker, and I always found with these standardized tests that you get a lot of value of learning the tricks and shortcuts. Things like eliminating obvious wrong answers and then making educated guesses from the remaining options is very helpful.

And don't rush through these. Set a good pace, because once you answer a question you can't go back. I ended both the math and the verbal GRE with time to spare, which pained me.

And you can know if you're doing well if the questions keep getting harder and harder. Every correct answer leads to a more difficult next question. And all my professors and advisors told me to focus heavily on the first 10 questions or so, as they dictate a large chunk of your final score.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well, I just finished taking the GRE. I'm glad that I spent some time on the math before taking it, but, I still did absolutely awful on the math section. Some of the stuff on the test wasn't even mentioned in the study book. I guessed on a lot more questions than I was really comfortable with.

On the other hand, I was pretty happy with how I did on the verbal. 690 Verbal/600 Quantitative.

1290 overall. That's the part I'm not happy about. A 690 verbal is around what I was shooting for, though I was hoping for a 700. But 600 quantitative, besides being something like the 50th percentile (I don't know the exact percentile for my specific test yet), kills my combined score if, as I've read, fellowship positions at some universities have a cutoff at 1300 or 1350.

I don't know what I'm going to do. I could wait two weeks and take it again, risk lowering my verbal score and raising my quantitative, but that's going to involve a fair bit of time, not to mention the bloody test is expensive. I suppose I'm going to ask around for advice. I think with this verbal score, my application as a whole, including recommendations, GPA and writing sample, is going to be pretty strong. But if I get cutoff before they even look, what's the point?

::sigh::

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The quantitative is irrelevant, given your grad school interests. Don't worry about it at all. 690 verbal is a good score, and will be plenty good enough for grad schools. I would say that the analytical would be important given your field, but as far as I know few schools look at it. That might be changing, though.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think I did pretty well on the analytical. I won't know for sure for a couple weeks of course, but I felt like I nailed all the important points. Anecdotal evidence I've come across suggests that schools will look far more closely at the writing sample that I provide, but even if that is changing, I feel like I got maybe a 5 or 5.5.

Thanks for the reassurance. [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

A lot of grad programs will list average scores of admitted students. That can help you decide if you did well enough as is.

Hobbes [Smile]

The White Whale
Member # 6594

Lyr, I think that my graduate school hardly looked at all at my GRE scores. I had a great interview with my current advisor, and I think that was enough to get me in.

And, AFAIK, you have a pretty good academic record so far. I think they'd be silly not to take you in.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be taking mine on Thursday with my girlfriend. Hopefully I'll do well; we've been cramming. Got all of the 500 Kaplan flashcards memorized perfectly and working on Barron's 3500 list. Also cramming math on Kaplan math workbook.

One of my professors casually remarked, after saying I ought to go to a top 10 school, that it would be "nice if [I] got two 800s" then proceeded to talk about other parts of the app. Kind of nervous.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Let us know how you do. I wish I'd spent another week working on my math, but the verbal section wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

I borrowed the Barron's 500 flashcards from a friend and studied the Barron's 3500 word book for quite some time. I still got maybe a dozen words that I had never seen before. Good luck!

Itsame
Member # 9712

I just took my first practice test. The princeton review one online meant to imitate the CAT. Unfortunately, I also currently have a fever. I got 720 on verbal, but I had 10 minutes left over and the mistakes were stupid on my part (although there were 2 that were words that I did not know). I got exhausted due to illness and stopped after 15 math questions. Got one wrong up til that point and I realized I got it wrong right after I clicked submit. Even so, I guessed on two of those so I need to work it (educated guesses).
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Just took a second practice test. 790 verbal. Hopefully I can keep this up for the real thing.
Itsame
Member # 9712

So... I didn't do as well as I had hoped on the verbal but I'm pretty elated since I was expecting 600 on the quantitative: 740V 770Q.

[Big Grin]

My girlfriend got 670V 610Q, which is good enough for any grad school in her field that she wants, with her grades. (I suffer from what is called low-GPA syndrome.)

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My graduate school doesn't even LOOK at GRE scores, which was a bummer, because I got 800V/640Q/5.5A.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

I think some may look if there are a lot of applicants. For my program there was little competition for the positions, more of a "who wants to work here?" thing. So I don't think my GREs were looked at either.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn: Since you've finished the GRE do you have any recommendations for prep materials? I'm purchasing a book *really* soon and was hoping to get a decent one, or perhaps buy yours if you don't want it anymore.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I don't know if you care about what I did or whether the question was specifically for Lyr, but I'll throw it out anyway.

I read over Barron's main GRE book to memorize their list of 3500 words. Memorized the Kaplan 500 word flash card. Went through the Kaplan math workbook.The math workbook doesn't really deal much with permutations and the uncommon things, if I recall, so you may want to look at another book for that. I got two permutations and one factorial on my test.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I bought the Kaplan math and verbal workbooks, and the Barron's 800 word thing.

I'd sell you mine, but I took all the quizzes and everything right in the books, so they're all marked up with notes and answers. I think you'll want to start fresh.

I found the Barron's vocab book combined with the Kaplan workbook a very, very good fit for the verbal portion. Having a big vocabulary really is key for the verbal portion. And I found the analogies difficult to get a grasp on, so I really appreciated the practice tests and advice that the work book had.

The math workbook I honestly didn't spend enough time with, and my score reflects that, however, there was quite a bit of material on the actual test that wasn't even covered in the Kaplan Math Workbook, so, my opinion of it is somewhat mixed, but I thought that on the whole it was a pretty succinct review, overall, of the math on the exam with helpful explanations and practice tests.

You don't need the flash cards, not unless you're really a flashcard person, for the vocab. What I did was go through the Barron's 800 word book. Each section has ten words. I'd do about ten sections a night. At the end of the night I'd quiz myself, and every word I didn't know I wrote down on a separate sheet of paper, and I drilled myself on those words every day. If I didn't know one still, I'd put a check mark by it, and after a few days, the ones that accumulated more marks were ones I really needed to focus on. You'll likely find that out of the 800 words, you probably already know at least half, so that will help speed up the process. I can't stress enough how important building your vocabulary is. Between the Barron's 800 Essential Words and the Kaplan Verbal and Kaplan Math work books, you'll probably be fine, though as I said before, you may want to shop around a little bit on the math books, I was a little disappointed.

Lemme know if that wasn't helpful enough.

Itsame
Member # 9712

Alright, my official score report came in:

740V: 99%, 770Q: 87%, 5.5 AW: 94%

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'm going to have time to study for and take the GREs this year, which would force me to submit last years. I wasn't entirely pleased with last year at all, my verbal was abysmal. I received:

760Q, 600V, and 6.0A

I had been hoping for as close to 800 as possible on the math. Time was my enemy on that one. With a minute to go I still had 5 questions left, and was forced to guess on all of them. To be honest, I wasn't expecting all that much more than a 600 on the verbal, though I was hoping! The 6 on the analytical felt really nice though, and I hope goes some way towards showing that while the vocabulary isn't there, the logic and critical thinking skills are! [Smile]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloark
Member # 12400

- posted      Profile for cloark   Email cloark         Edit/Delete Post 
I took the GRE about 5 years ago. Of all the many tests I've taken in my lifetime, it might just be the absolute biggest waste of time. To think that any graduate program spends any time looking at the dumb thing is appalling, but it is sadly how things work. In my opinion, the test attempts to evaluate your ability to succeed in graduate school based off of your vocabulary and your knowledge of high school math. If anyone has any hint as to what these two things have to do with graduate studies in any field whatsoever, I'm all ears. I took 1 practice exam, and realized that I'd either make a silly mistake on the math or I wouldn't, and there was no point in studying that, and I wasn't going to spend dozens of hours learning more obscure words in the hopes that one of them might appear on the test. I gave up, and took it having invested about 30 minutes in "studying".

For the record, I did quite well on the test, scoring a 630V, 800Q and maybe a 5.5 on the written part. (A bit hazy on the last figure.) I know in the undergrad physics program I was in the question wasn't "What did you get on the math part?" but instead "Did you get an 800?" About 50% of the physics majors got 800s, the rest got either 780s or 770s (790 is not achievable on the math portion, or at least wasn't then).

Now, the subject tests are actually meaningful. Or, at least the physics one is. I spent many hours studying for that one, and could have spent many more and that would all have been a good use of my time, both from the stand point of doing better on the test as well as learning something useful in my field of study.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.