FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Scientists find first real evidence you CAN see the future

Author Topic: Scientists find first real evidence you CAN see the future
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Link

It works like this.
quote:
In a test that we wouldn't have believed had it not been documented, 100 Cornell students were shown 48 common nouns and given three seconds to observe and visualize each word. Then they were asked to type out as many words as they could remember. After that, a computer re-displayed half of those words, which the students then retyped.

You don't have to be psychic to know where we're going with this: It turns out that the students more likely recalled the words that they were later asked to retype.

I'd like to know how many iterations they did of this, and whether the results aren't just an odd sampling fluke.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. The experiment as described sounds reasonable assuming no obvious mistakes like not selecting the words at random were made, but the interpretation of quantum mechanics given as explanation sets off my dingbat alarms. I want the study replicated, and I also want to know the size of the effect, remembering that in twenty experiments you're going to get one 95%-confidence refutation of the null hypothesis just by random chance.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't the first time people have brought up evidence that they claimed pointed to precognition.

The other experiments, when they attempted replication under better controls, turned out to be showing nothing.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Link

It works like this.
quote:
In a test that we wouldn't have believed had it not been documented, 100 Cornell students were shown 48 common nouns and given three seconds to observe and visualize each word. Then they were asked to type out as many words as they could remember. After that, a computer re-displayed half of those words, which the students then retyped.

You don't have to be psychic to know where we're going with this: It turns out that the students more likely recalled the words that they were later asked to retype.

I'd like to know how many iterations they did of this, and whether the results aren't just an odd sampling fluke.
Couldn't this just as easily be proof that the computers at Cornell are psychic in that they knew which words the students would recall?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this paper is hilarious. For instance, after detecting a "significant" result for people being "precognitive" of erotic images, he discusses various alternative explanations . . . but fails to list "a significant result happened by chance" (which most people would assert, at around a percent of the time, would be much more likely than a psychic phenomenon).

Then there are outright incorrect statements such as

quote:
In particular, if the human participant is replaced by the same PRNG or RNG that selects
the left/right target positions, this maximizes the possibility that any non-random patterns in the
sequence of left/right target positions will be mirrored by similar patterns in the left/right
responses of the virtual participant (the RNG itself), thereby producing an artifactual psi-like
result.

Ignoring all the secondary analyses and focusing on the basics of the series of experiments, if this series of experiments were run properly and no experiments were omitted, they would constitute some evidence for a small psi effect.

I am, unsurprisingly, doubtful that the necessary conditions are met.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
article's opening statement is wrong too. think you have precognitive powers and can divine the future through supernatural means? you should probably think about upping your meds.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I completely misunderstood [highly likely], but is sounds to me like jogging someones memory is now "seeing the future"?

[Dont Know]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

KoM: regarding effect size, they're talking on the order of one to three percent of trials 'matching' (or whatever the effect signifier is) more often than chance. I find it interesting that it is the word studying experiment from the paper that is mentioned in the article, since it seems to be one of the weakest, statistically, and is harder to describe. Some of the other trials are more straightforward.

There are also secondary analyses where they assert people who seek out stimulus have an even greater effect in certain trials, but there's so much more capability for fudging results like that I mostly skipped over them.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
KoM: regarding effect size, they're talking on the order of one to three percent of trials 'matching' (or whatever the effect signifier is) more often than chance.
Ok, but with how many trials? Otherwise you can't work out a significance.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Most of their experiments involve a hundred to two hundred students (from Cornell) performing some task a moderately large number of times (36, 50, et cetera). As I allude to earlier, significance for the main effect is often at around the .01 level, but sometimes more and sometimes less. In all but one experiment, I think, better than .05.

edit: you know, the paper is linked in the article [Razz]

King of Men
Member # 6684

Well yes, but I do have actual work to do, you know. If I want to read borderline papers, I've got a perfectly good one right here purporting to show the compositeness of quarks. [Smile]
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Combine the two for a Technicolor Time Machine [Laugh] time-energy / location-momentum demands it
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.