FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question about Muslim women's clothing

Author Topic: Question about Muslim women's clothing
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm working on a short play in which the central characters are Muslim, and I have been less than successful in my research on the details of women's clothing. I was hoping someone here knows more than me.
Specifically the hijab vs the chador. I am interested to know what leads a woman to wear one or the other. Is it a tribal or denominational difference (Sunni vs Shi'a)? Does it depend on the woman's circumstance?
Any information would be useful. Thanks!

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The hijab is the least conservative of the coverings, and is worn in more secular parts of the muslim world (think Turkey).

The chador is a fair bit more conservative (about mid-range in the full spectrum), and is worn in fairly conservative parts of the muslim world (think Iran).

The chador is mostly worn in Shia regions. I wasn't sure why, but this article is enlightening: http://www.nowlebanon.com/NewsArchiveDetails.aspx?ID=98839

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Hijab is a general term that means different things in different countries. See Wikipedia.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Hijab can mean the style of modest dress, but "the" hijab is just a scarf (well, one of a few possible scarves).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.