FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, the Westboro guys were at my school today

Author Topic: So, the Westboro guys were at my school today
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
... and were met by at least five hundred counter protesters from my school! It was pretty nice. Good music and dancing and everything. It was a pretty neat party, really.

I mean, except for the Westboro people, but there were only like seven of them. There were hundreds of us.

Oh, and I was there kinda part of it! I didn't hold a sign, though.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I was thinking of starting this thread like a month and a half ago.

They came to my school too, and we got the day off to protest them. (And the school security stood out with us, to keep some of the rowdier students from causing trouble)

We had a great time as well, great music dancing and then across the street was 5-7 westboro guys trying to provoke a response.

*Edit for better video

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool video T-man. [Smile]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

You see me in a blue shirt hoisting a big white sign for like 2-3 seconds [Big Grin]
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Why are 500 protesters needed to counter 7? It seems to me it would be more effective just to ignore them and go on with learning.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know... sounds kind of fun, and if this is the dumbest way you can imagine a school day being wasted you've probably never been to college.
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Dumb question: I know the Westboro guys are crazy, but why are they protesting outside random schools to begin with?
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
Why are 500 protesters needed to counter 7? It seems to me it would be more effective just to ignore them and go on with learning.

How many WBC people showed up is irrelevant.

The objective wasn't to beat WBC into submission. It served as a display of solidarity amongst the students, a show of force against what WBC stood for.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Exactly. Nobody was trying to beat them. There were only seven of them!

But their message is wrong, and the students at my school know it. That's why we went. Because we don't agree with them. Because we don't agree with them about gays.

And we were going to show it. Not just to them. There were only seven of them. But to everybody.

It was a strong statement, and a good one. Besides, it was kinda fun!

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. If they are there, who is going to want to miss protesting against them?

They are protesting a school in one of the nearby suburbs today because the school is performing The Laramie Project.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
Dumb question: I know the Westboro guys are crazy, but why are they protesting outside random schools to begin with?

They go out and protest as offensively as possible in as many scenarios as possible because they are trying to goad people into assaulting them or attacking them, so that they can sue them in court and take back thousands of dollars in settlements to fund even more trips to earn more cash out of litigiousness.

Many of them have trained as lawyers their entire lives specifically for this purpose. It's the big way the church makes money.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:

They go out and protest as offensively as possible in as many scenarios as possible because they are trying to goad people into assaulting them or attacking them, so that they can sue them in court and take back thousands of dollars in settlements to fund even more trips to earn more cash out of litigiousness.

Many of them have trained as lawyers their entire lives specifically for this purpose. It's the big way the church makes money.

Also they came to our school because it is in a very Jewish town, and they came during Rosh Hashanah and went around to all the temples and synagogues nearby.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It's basically wherever they can stir up the most outrage. They'd protest orphans with leukemia if they could.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Exactly. Nobody was trying to beat them. There were only seven of them!
Oh, I don't know about that. I think plenty of those half a thousand people were trying to beat them (in the 'defeat' sense of the word), and why not? They're pretty damn awful, after all. It's not just about solidarity, or at least I imagine not. I'm just thinking about why I might show up at a counter-protest, if indeed I would. I might depending on how many WBC were there and what was going on that day go about my own business, but if I did, part of it would be not wanting them to win, not just to show solidarity with my fellow students.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
That is awesome. You know why? because it was positive and joyful and the exact opposite of what they were there to stir up. That's a beautiful thing. Good on yer!
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, pretty much the best thing that can be said about the Westboro baptists is that their entire congregation is like half a dozen people, and not rising, despite the fact that they get massively disproportionate amounts of publicity.

Well done, man. Well done. [Smile]

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Well, I was just there. I didn't even hold a sign. (To be fair, less than ten percent did.)

The real people who should get a "well done" are my fellow students who actually organized it.

Member # 11614

I held a sign, but no one brought any pancake mix [Frown]
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
In semi-related news... Residents of Missouri Town Block Protesters From Picketing Soldier's Funeral

quote:
Members of a small Missouri town banded together Saturday to block a controversial pastor and members of his Westboro Baptist Church from protesting the funeral of a fallen U.S. soldier, Fox4kc.com reports.

Hundreds of residents in Weston, Mo. -- as well as people as far away as California and Australia -- rallied in support of Sgt. First Class C.J. Sadell, who died from injuries suffered during a surprise attack in Afghanistan.

The residents sought to block Fred Phelps, leader of the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan., and his followers from picketing Sadell’s funeral, according to the station.

Phelps' church has been the subject of intense criticism for holding more than 44,000 pickets at funerals and other events – including the services of fallen service members.

Citing their First Amendment right to protest, Phelps' followers say they use funerals as an “available public platform” to “deliver the message that there is a consequence for sin.” Phelps is openly opposed to homosexuality and all government policies they he says supports homosexuals.

"We got everybody here early so we could take up all the parking spots," Rebecca Rooney of Weston, Mo., told Fox4kc.com. "We did that so Mr. Phelps wouldn't have a contingency that was really close."

"I'm glad they left, but I'm sad they came," she said.

Sadell, who leaves behind a wife and two sons, was stationed in the Arif Kala region of Afghanistan when his unit was ambushed on Oct. 5. Five soldiers were killed in the attack and Sadell was badly injured.

The 34-year-old died from his injuries on Oct. 24.

Direct link to Fox4kc, with video.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
That church is seriously wacked out. Everytime I hear about them, I just have to shake my head. Protesting at a funeral is about as low as you can go, and it makes me wonder what on earth they talk about on Sundays. After all, the bible says virtually nothing about homosexuals and quite a bit about God's love and treating people kindly. Even if you believe homesexuality is a sin, they seem to be missing the point.

Anyway, I think the idea of physically blocking them from picketing is pretty awesome. So are all the protests. I don't think we'll ever get them to give up and go home, but at least it shows that there are OTHER people in the world willing to be decent.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.