FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm a bit surprised.

Author Topic: I'm a bit surprised.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
It turns out Norway doesn't have very liberal abortion policies after all. Until the twelfth week it's the decision of the woman; after that a committee of doctors who are to give permission only if the birth would lead to considerable difficulty or danger; and after viability outside the womb, no abortions at all. (Except for emergency surgery where it's a question of the mother's life or the fetus's. But that's not really abortion, IMO.) I must say I like this policy better than the American one; I'm just surprised it's so restrictive.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what I think of these "life panels" of yours...
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it sounds wonderful.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with both KoM and katharina.

How are they defining viability outside of the womb? And in terms of "considerable difficulty", are they only thinking medically, or are they including cases of rape?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The law (wisely, I think) does not attempt to define viability; the words are (my translation) "After the end of the 18th week of pregnancy, a pregnancy may not be ended without very strong reason. If there is reason to believe that the fetus is viable, no license to abort may be given." So presumably they look at recent developments in medicine and make a decision as doctors. Looking at the statistics, it seems that abortions after the 23rd week are extremely rare.

As for the 'considerable difficulty', there seems to be a lot of leeway for individual judgement:

quote:
If a pregnancy leads to serious difficulty for a woman, she shall be offered information and guidance about the aid that society can give her. She has a right to advice so that she may herself make the final decision.

(...)

After the end of the twelfth week, abortion may still occur if

a) The pregnancy, the birth, or caring for the child may lead to unreasonable stress for the woman's physical or mental health. Attention shall be given to whether she has a disposition for disease.

b) The pregnancy, the birth, or caring for the child may cause a difficult life-situation for the women.

c) There is considerable risk that the child may become seriously ill, due to genetic causes, disease, or damaging influences during the pregnancy.

d) The pregnancy occurred because of circumstances treated in the criminal code paragraphs 197-199, or paragraphs 192-196 and 199. [I assume these deal with rape and related crimes.]

e) She is mentally ill or handicapped to a considerable degree.

In considering an application for abortion under clauses a, b, or c attention shall be paid to the overall situation of the woman, including her ability to care satisfactorily for the child. The woman's own judgement of her situation shall be given considerable weight.

This seems to me to come down to individual judgement and, basically, the custom of the land. I found some statistics showing that 95% of abortions occur before the 12-week cutoff, and that abortions after the 18th week are very, very rare.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.