FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » video editor recommendations?

Author Topic: video editor recommendations?
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to take a video clip and add my own subtitles..... AKA the famous Hitler scene where he loses it.

What kind of software would I need to be able to create my own subtitles?

I can take free and pay-for suggestions, thanks!

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you will find it comes down for many people to what program they are familiar with. I use Sony Vegas and I LOVE it. It is cheap, stable, and looks professional to me. Others have told me Final Cut Pro is better. My boss is a fan of Pinnacle (gag).

Pinnacle always crashed on me and Vegas is as stable a program I have ever used. However I heard the newer version of Pinnacle is good.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly for what you're asking anything would really be fine. Windows Movie Maker or iMovie (depending on which OS you use) are both more than capable of adding subtitles, and some version of one of them almost certainly came with your computer.

To be clear, I'm not saying either of these are on par with Final Cut. For serious movie creation you want something like Final Cut Pro, Pinnacle, etc. For adding subtitles to some footage to create your own version of a meme, there is no reason to consider using a professional tool that costs hundreds of dollars. Even if you have free access to something like Final Cut somehow, it's going to be a needlessly complicated program to use for something like this.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Final Cut Pro does take a little bit of effort to learn, and if you're doing something fast like that it may be too much work, and more importantly too much time. Once you know it, you could do something like what you talk about pretty darned quickly, but that's just once you know it.

...and it is here that I realize that my school major is actually teaching me skills, and maybe this has actually been worth the time. Yahoo.

Edited for a grammar mistake.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
found the answer I was looking for!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-c4hXZI-uU

(warning: bad language)

thanks for the help guys!

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That was actually sort of amusing. Especially the typo right in the middle of the rant on spelling/grammar.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.