FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 2010's What I Want For The Holidays. Gifts Arriving, (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 2010's What I Want For The Holidays. Gifts Arriving,
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Post in this thread what sorts of things you like and dislike, so that the person you are eventually assigned to will have some idea what to get you.

Its tricky because you want to avoid being too specific but not too vague either. For example saying you like clothes as well as what colors you like on those clothes is OK. Saying you like movies, or books, is OK, specifying a movie or book probably isn't, but specifying a genre is.

Feel free to take your time and think about it before posting, I've decided that sign-ups will close the day after Thanksgiving. You can still sign up by posting in the sign up thread, or by PMing me. If you miss the sign up date, write me and well talk, but these things usually work best when people have plenty of time to obtain and send off their gift.

Have Fun! I'll post my own preferences a bit later.

[ January 04, 2011, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess nobody wants to go first, so I suppose I'll start out!

Like:

Anime (Sci Fi/Space Operas are my favorite)

Books (Again, Sci-Fi)

Funny/Nerdy T-Shirts. (I just got one that reads "Roses are #FF0000 violets are #0000FF all my base are belong to you")

PC Games (RPG's for the most part)

Dislikes:

I really don't have anything I dislike. I'll edit this post if I can think of something.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite thing about the git exchange in the past has been getting to know people, so I'd love to have something expressive of your likes/dislikes etc. I am a nanny for 2-year-olds, so anything child/toddler-relates would be welcome.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love music, butterflies, moths, the colour blue, Dir en grey, all kinds of stuff really. I only dislike pink and orange together because it makes me feel dizzy and sick. Bleck.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Likes: anime, music (jazz, blues,rock,country), books ((science fiction,fantasy, manga), movies. I'm a Japanophile.

LDS which means no coffee,tea,cigarettes, or mail order Russian brides. [Wink]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Likes: Music (Classical, Rock). Books, especially Non-Fiction. Clothes (Colors: Black, Blue, Earthy Tones)

I love movies, but I don't buy DVD's these days, so don't risk it on big name new releases. I do love the surprise of a movie I haven't seen but should. I like every genre except horror.

I love board and card games, the more the game is based on luck the less I like it. I don't mind rolling dice a lot. To put it into context.

Candyland = Bad

Skip-bo = Tolerable

Settlers of Katan = Good

Don't get me SOK, I own all the expansions.

I like Xbox 360 and Wii games, obviously new games are too expensive but even the arcade ones are terrific.

I think that's a suitable list for somebody seeking to find one thing for me.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an atheist, but I don't want cigarettes, coffee, tea, or mail-order Russian brides either! Also, add soda to that list. I haven't had a coke since 1999.

I would like you to get me something from your hometown, like if it's famous for a certain type of food, music or culture, get me that.

Thanks!

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could join in but I don't want anyone to have to mail stuff to Trinidad.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
I wish I could join in but I don't want anyone to have to mail stuff to Trinidad.

Do you have family that are planning on shipping you anything for Christmas? Perhaps a Hatracker could mail something to them to be included?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

Rabbit, how about an online gift card? Are there any stores you like that ship to Trinidad, or any businesses based there that have a website that someone could purchase something and have it sent to you?
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I like star wars and books and ferrets and philosophy and the big lebowski and science fiction and consciousness and technology and anything creative from where you are from.

I hate Sarah Palin and traffic.

Rabbit, I think Geraine's idea is a good one if you don't mind a possibly more generic offering.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I love books- especially sci-fi or thought provoking or inspiring non-fiction. I also love board games and card games.

I'm about to move from Texas to Montana, so anything warm (but not wool- allergic) would be appreciated.

theamazeeaz's idea about something neat that's local is also pretty cool.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Could all those who have signed up please PM me their mailing addresses? I'll be sending out assignments just as soon as I have them.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Should we use he email address in JanitorBlade's profile?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Yes
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

I'll be hopefully sending an email out shortly with your assignments.

I still need mailing addresses sent to me through the forum from, Belle.

Raia, Orincoro, and Rabbit need to let me know if they intend to participate. If you would, please let me know asap. I'm hoping we can work out individual particulars as to gifts and shipping.

If you do intend to participate you also need to post in this thread concerning the sorts of things you like, or else you are up to the mercy of the gift sender, but it's always helpful to have some direction when it comes to picking up a gift.

JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

From here on out I am assuming that those who have not contacted me have opted out of the exchange. Assignments should be sent out by the end of the day (I live in the US). If you do not get an assignment please send me an email, tomorrow.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
So, helpful things for me:

I've liked everything I've ever gotten through the Gift Exchange, I'm pretty easy to please; put together enough random stuff and I'll be grateful and entertained!

Likes: dark chocolate, tea, French, SF, anthropology, astronomy.

Allergies: strong scents, New Age, Country, Rap, Opera.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
When must things go out by?
I'm sending it out on the 17th or 16th which is when i will go to the bank.

[ December 14, 2010, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Realistically it would be nice if everybody had their gifts by Christmas. But I'll set a hard deadline of having your gifts sent out by new years.
Derrell
Member # 6062

Amazon says the package was delivered to my giftee. *crosses fingrs*
Geraine
Member # 9913

I thought long and hard about what to get my giftee, then realized I was running out of time. Thank goodness for 2 day shipping !
Derrell
Member # 6062

My gift got here. Amanecer gave me a CD from a local university's jazz band and a mythical creature origami kit. Thank you.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
My gift is taking a slow trek across the country.

At the 'rents now and won't be back home 'til after New Year, so don't pay for expedited if you have me.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Derrell, I'm glad it arrived it time! I hope you enjoy. [Smile]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

ack! So I just checked on my gift today, which I had ordered and should've been delivered to me by now, and apparently my order was canceled!

I won't be able to have a gift out to my person before christmas, but I'll have it out early next week. Sorry!

[ December 23, 2010, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

I love it.
Hank
Member # 8916

Eek! I tried to mail mine today, but I've deleted the address. JanitorBlade, where are you?
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I sent cool books to mine.
I hope she got it.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I got your email and forwarded the contact information. Sorry, I was out all day today, and most of yesterday.
Hank
Member # 8916

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I got your email and forwarded the contact information. Sorry, I was out all day today, and most of yesterday.

That's strange. I can't imagine what might have distracted you. :)
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Synesthesia sent me a manga called With the Light and Octavia Butler's Dawn.

Thank you!!! I haven't read With the Light and it sounds really interesting. And I love Dawn but lost it by lending it out to someone, so this is perfect!

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

It's late, and I'm too tired to consult my records right now, but who has not yet received their gifts yet? I'll check in the morning, hopefully before work, but your assistance is appreciated. [Smile]
Strider
Member # 1807

I haven't received my gift yet, and I'll also be sending my gift out in the morning.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
Synesthesia sent me a manga called With the Light and Octavia Butler's Dawn.

Thank you!!! I haven't read With the Light and it sounds really interesting. And I love Dawn but lost it by lending it out to someone, so this is perfect!

Yay! I'm so happy you like it. I was hoping it was all 3 books in one though, Octavia Butler.
And With the Light is the best thing I've read about autism ever. Have tissue ready if you are the teary sort.

plaid
Member # 2393

Haven't sent mine yet, won't get a chance til after New Year's, but it'll be sent!
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

For those of you who could not send yours until after New Years, could you please indicate if you have sent it, and if not, when. It would probably be best if you emailed me through the forums so that none my know of your ignominy. [Wink]

But seriously, let me know.

Hank
Member # 8916

I sent mine lasst week. It should be there any minute.
Strider
Member # 1807

Mine came in yesterday, thanks so much Hank!

Hank sent me a copy of a new Neil Gaiman book which is great, because I've never actually read any Gaiman and have been meaning to check out some of his books for a while (I've only read Good Omens...half Gaiman). He also sent along this little rubbery robot bug toy which my ferret had a blast chasing around the basement last night. He donated a copy of Ender's Game in my honor to a local book drive which I thought was totally awesome!

He also sent me some homemade caramels and some material on a local temple he visited!

I feel like I received two presents here, thanks so much!

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

I sent my gift on the 15th, but I don't know if my person (Geraine [Wave] ) got it, because there was an issue with the address. I sent you an email Geraine, let me know, I'm leaving the country for work tomorrow, and if it didn't work out, am going to send a replacement gift.
plaid
Member # 2393

I'll get into town this weekend to get my gift for my giftee! [Smile]

And, for my gifter (giftor?) (no, gifter) -- your package arrived in NJ for me, but it just missed me (I was there for the holidays), my brother's mailing it on to me here in Virginia, I'll have it soon, yeah! [Smile]

plaid
Member # 2393

Sent! [Smile]
Hank
Member # 8916

I got mine today! Plaid sent me a CD from a local (to him) artist, some seeds from the company he works for (you're right: they do smell great--my kids wanted to eat them) and chocolate--because everything's better with chocolate.

I can't wait to give the album a proper listen. Thanks, Plaid!

JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

I've sent emails to those who have yet to send their gifts, I'd appreciate it if you could get your gifts out, or email me as to what your situation is.

If you haven't sent your gift, but not received an email, write me anyway explaining the situation. By and large, this years exchange has been just fine, and I am very pleased. Just need to get those final gifts sent off.

Thanks.

JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

It appears all gifts have been sent. Could Synesthesia and theamazeeaz confirm they have received theirs?
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

I got a very addictive set of bucky balls from Geraine.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

If Synesthesia confirms she got her gift, that's the end of the matter!

I *was* a bit disappointed we had an even number of people enrolled, otherwise I would have participated myself.

Strider
Member # 1807

I don't see how the number of people enrolled makes any difference. If A gives to B, B gives to C, and C gives to A, then everything is fine. An odd number only wouldn't work out if A had to give to B and B to A. Then C had to give to D and D to C, and so on. Leaving the last odd without a partner. Whether it's even or odd doesn't affect the viability of the exchange, as long as the relationships are chosen smartly. You missed out for no reason BB! Bummer! [Frown]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

My foolishness is exposed for all to see! [Frown]
plaid
Member # 2393

Strider's gift caught up to me here in Virginia, woo!

Neatness = a Doctor Who sonic screwdriver flashlight! [Cool] Very neat, puts out green light just like the Doctor's, I've never had a DW toy before so this is great; it'll be fun to see how long it takes for someone to see it and say "Hey, isn't that..." [Smile]

Plus, a mix of chocolates, mmmmm [Big Grin]

Thanks!!

(Strider, you wondered if we'd had each other before in an exchange -- yep! Way back when, you + Leonide gave me a nifty audio recording of Tolkien reading from his books, very cool.)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.