FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The TSA (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The TSA
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It is worth pointing out that it's not sexual harrassment. I've objected to similar useless dilution of words, including slavery and rape.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
So - I thought I'd post in here. I had to fly to Salt Lake City today for work, but because it's the end of the Thanksgiving weekend, they were recommending everone get here really early. I ended up getting here just after noon for a flight that was supposed to leave at 2. Well, turns out it took even less time than normal to get through security. The last couple of times I've flown it took about 45 minutes between check in and security. Today, from the point I entered the airport to the point where I was standing at the gate... 15 minutes tops!

So, there I was, with over an hour and a half left before my flight. Luckily SA's airport has free wifi and I was able to find a seat near an outlet.

But then, our flight got delayed another 2 hours, so I'm going to be here a while.

Anyway, no pat downs for me!

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, if I'd known you were going to be in SLC we could have caught lunch. But I imagine you weren't expecting your stay to be this long.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Actually, I'm in San Antonio waiting to fly TO Salt Lake City. I won't be there very long though, I'm getting in tonight and we're with the client all day tomorrow, then I fly out first thing Tuesday morning. At least I HOPE it is first thing Tuesday morning....
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen a mainstream source confirm this, but according to a lot of sources on the internet, the TSA turned off the scanners and didn't use the aggressive pat downs last Wednesday.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
That could explain why the news was reporting no delays. I thought it was people afraid to make a fuss, get on the no fly list, and miss Thanksgiving. You have to admit, by the time you show up at the airport, they've kind of got you over a barrel.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

BTW - SLC was absolutely beautiful. I walked around the Gateway Mall (with the awesome huge Christmas Tree) on Sunday night while it was still snowing, and everything was pretty much picture perfect. I feel kinda sorry for you guys that have to stick around and deal with it now that it's all turning to slushy ice though!
EndlessBean
Member # 12100

- posted      Profile for EndlessBean   Email EndlessBean         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to respond to this posting with a quote from the movie "The Ghost Writer":

"I'd like to set up two lines at every airport. In one line, you can walk up, check in, no questions asked, no security checks and board your plane. In another, you'll first deal with all the precautions we've taken based on information we've gathered, yes, some of it through torture, and I'd like to see which line [Mr Irritating, Politically Correct, Constitution-Observing, Law-Abiding Ex-Foreign Minister] would choose before he puts his kids on a plane."

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I would rather go in the no question line. If you want to destroy people's sense of security- which is what terrorism is about- to show that you can get people any time, any where, hitting the security free line is pointless. It might upset some individuals, but it would not have the same impact as hitting the "safe" line. But then again, the people making decisions clearly are not thinking like terrorists considering how easy it would be to get around the current precautions.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
And I'd like for people to either have to pay me lots of money or refrain from treating false dichotomies as reality, but that's just not reasonable.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.